Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,757

2 members and 2,755 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull

Thread: How old is she?

Thanks

How old is she?

I got my ball python about 7 weeks ago, and I'm wondering how old she might be because the person I got her from wasn't sure. They said she's at least a year old but she's so small, I highly doubt that! She looks nothing like pictures of one-year-old ball python females I've seen online.

She's roughly 22 inches long and weighs 211 grams (she's still thin but better than when I got her, we're working on it). Based on her length and weigh, about how old can I assume she is? I know there's a lot of leeway either way, but I'd like to have a general idea of her age. Thanks!

Thanks
    I would love to be able to give you an estimate that was educated, but that's simply not possible. As you probably understand, there are SO many different variables when it comes to the growth of a snake. How often they were fed, what they were fed, their gender, their genes (not morph genes), the list goes on. The one thing I will say is that I hope the person that you got your python from wasn't a breeder, because I would expect them to give you the date that the snake hatched, or at least when the clutch was laid, etc., don't really think that's an unreasonable expectation. But I'll guess that the person you got it from was just a friend who was looking to sell their python?

If I had to guess and go out on a limb, I'd say maybe 5-6 months old is a good age to put on your python, but I'm even skeptical of putting this on because of the copious varaibles.

The one thing I will recommend is if you succumb to the addition and expand your collection of these wonderful animals, try a reputable breeder who can give you details on the animal you're buying such as age, as well as proof that they're established feeders, etc. I know feeding wasn't mentioned as a problem, it's always good to give a reminder to new keepers who may be looking to expand in the future.

I hope this helped, and I wish you all the best with your new friend. Maybe get us some pictures of her?
    Streller
    1.0 Normal - Poseidon - Adult
    0.1 Lesser YB - Amphitrite - Adult

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Streller For This Useful Post:

OoohShiny (06-14-2020)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Too many variable it could be 3 months old like it could be 1 year old, depends on a lot of factors (size out of the egg, feeding schedule, prey size, fast, genetics etc)
    Deborah Stewart

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

OoohShiny (06-14-2020)

Thanks

Re: How old is she?

Yeah, I know there are too many variables to say for sure, but this does narrow it down a bit. She was getting one fuzzy a week which is WAY not enough - the girl can take down a small rat already, but I mostly am feeding her an adult mouse every 5-6 days (I'm trying to put some bulk on her, but slowly, and so far so good because she eats like a champ).

I didn't get her from a breeder (I know better now for my next snake, which there WILL be, the addiction is real!), but they did mean well and are happy she's getting better care now. Ana Gwyn is a real sweetheart, very tame and gentle, my 7-year-old niece even calls me for playdates with her, lol. She's a fantastic little snake and I love her desperately, so of course I want to know everything I can about her. I'm just going to assume she's somewhere around 6 months and leave it at that.

I'm definitely happy to share pictures of Ana Gwyn! I have tons because of course she's the prettiest snake EVER. (For reference, the railing she's on in the first pic is exactly 5 inches wide)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to OoohShiny For This Useful Post:

Streller (06-14-2020)

Thanks
    I'm glad the replies we offered you were somewhat helpful to you. Don't take it the wrong way (I don't think you did), I wasn't bashing you for buying from someone who wanted to part with their snake and suggesting that she wouldn't be healthy. She sounds like, and looks like, she's doing well.

She looks to be a beautiful looking snake. I think the 6 months guess is a safe one to run with, you can decide her birthday and then make her a play dough party hat for the occasion when she turns 1.

And yes, there almost definitely will be a next time. You can't help but get at least another one, finances permitting. Just remember the protocols for quarantining when you do eventually get a new family member.
    Streller
    1.0 Normal - Poseidon - Adult
    0.1 Lesser YB - Amphitrite - Adult

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Streller For This Useful Post:

OoohShiny (06-14-2020)

Thanks

Oh pfft, I wasn't offended at all. Ana Gwyn definitely needed better care when I got her, but she wasn't abused or starved, just being taken care of by someone who didn't know better and was still feeding her like she was a hatchling. I'm still learning too, but my sister is a vet tech and has years of experience owning snakes and reptiles (not ball pythons though, which is why I asked my age question here), so we're still learning but Gwynnie is definitely getting better care and already showing it. She's already added an inch or two in length, since I started feeding her more appropriately, plus a lot of muscle mass (I only just found my kitchen scale so I dont' know what she weighed when I got her, but she's definitely beefier).

There will ABSOLUTELY be more snakes, I never thought of myself as a snake person, but I am HOOKED. I've always been into animals but snakes weren't really on my radar, and I just got my first for my 46th birthday! I already want at least one more ball python, and definitely a plains hognose, and maybe a bull snake someday. I have the space for it (3-bedroom house with only one in use, so I have two whole rooms I can set up for caged pets) and I'm willing to do the research, and it's exciting to look forward to! But I think Ana Gwyn will be special no matter what, she's just got the best personality and yanno, she's the first

Thanks
    Honestly, the previous owner may not have known how to care for a ball python, but they probably did know how to tell time.

If they said at least a year, I’d take their word for it.

Thanks

Would your answer change if I confessed that it's a pet store? I know, I did bad, and it won't happen again, but I don't regret having Ana Gwyn because she's amazing. But even they admit that they're not sure exactly how long she was there. They said they thought she'd been there 9 months, but when I went back and asked if she could be more like 6 months old, they said yes, that's very possible.

The ladies who work there do care about the animals, and they love seeing pictures and getting updates on Ana Gwyn when I go in there, but they were limited to how they were allowed to feed and care for her even though they knew she should be eating more. They've told me that they're glad she's in a good home and getting proper care.