Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,615

1 members and 1,614 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,529
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Restless ball python

We bought a 3 year old female ball python about 3 months ago. She has been totally normal until the last 2 weeks. The person who had her before had paired her multiple times earlier in the season but we have not paired her.

Warm end of her cage is 88-92, cool end is 75-78. Humidity is around 50% although it was lower this morning, so we have her a good misting. She is pounding f/t medium rats like a pro every 7 days. I feel like she would eat more often, but not sure if we should feed her more..

The last 10 days she is CRAZY restless. Moving around constantly, always on the cool end of her tub. No bubbles, whistles or mucus. She is keeping her head up more, but she appears to be trying to get out, not like she's still with her head up or struggling to breath.

Any thoughts on what may be making her so restless? Her hide is on the warm end, and she has a plant/greenery on the cool end. She hasn't been in her hide at all recently.

Just want to be sure we aren't missing something as we are newer to pythons and have never seen this before.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,857 Times in 4,778 Posts
    Just a guess on my part, but I'd suggest investing in an incubator and hatchling rack if you don't have them already.

http://jdconstriction.com/how-to-kno...ure-expecting/

Thanks
    I would suggest putting a hide on the cold side also maybe she wants to go there but has no hide to be in. If you only have one hide then the snake has to choose between feeling secure and being at a comfortable temp and his can cause stress.

Thanks

Re: Restless ball python

My ball python has been restless (not staying in the hide box, roaming and hanging about the guard for the ceramic heater that I use for ambient temp) since laying 6 eggs a couple of weeks ago.

I did the whole cleaning and bathing thing twice to remove any egg scent.

I kept the front of the vivarium covered up and she settled a bit more.

Then she took a 200g rat last Saturday after 7 or 8 months without, and she hasn't come out of the hidebox except to drink since then.

I'm not sure what that was all about, I'm just hoping she eats again in a few days time.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Re: Restless ball python

Maybe it’s already been mentioned but as soon as any of my snakes change behaviour and start getting restless I check all the temperatures ... hot and cool spots/sides with a digital temp gun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (06-18-2020)