Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 710

0 members and 710 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
    Thanks

My Corn will be 2 years old and...

I got this cornsnake in Jan. of 2019 at a reptile show as a tiny hatching for a ridiculous price. So, this coming Jan. he'll be AT LEAST 2 years old. Doesn't he look a bit small? Thing is he does NOT like to eat every week (he usually ate every week at first, then he'd refuse food). He has THE weakest feeding response I've ever seen. He seems to prefer every 2 weeks AND he still prefers pinkys to fuzzies (he'll eat a fuzzy every once in awhile, but I have to offer the smallest one I can find, which makes feeding this guy a little more work). Is this normal for a corn?

Last edited by DLreptile; 06-10-2020 at 02:52 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DLreptile For This Useful Post:

Gio (06-10-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,730 Times in 11,794 Posts
    No, it's not normal for a normal corn, but it's normal for the one you got. There are probably internal reasons he was so tiny to start with & is unable to grow at a more
    normal pace...maybe an undersized stomach or some sort of GI tract stricture that limits what he can comfortably digest; also his low "ridiculous" price suggests that the
    breeder/seller knew this when you got him, and you should have suspected or asked more questions. From what I can see in the photo, his body weight looks to be in
    correct proportions- ie. he doesn't look starved or overweight. I'd just accept who he is & feed him according to his needs. In case this is genetic, I would not breed this
    guy either, just enjoy him as a pet. In nature, not all are created equal...and "good things do come in small packages" too.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

67temp (06-10-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,587 Times in 531 Posts
    All great points by Bogertophis. Also he may realize the he has issues digesting his prey due to internal problems or maybe even just temperatures are off some and has slowed his metabolism.

One thing I have heard to help animals grow quicker but not power feed them is to put a little slice in the skin of the prey item so the snakes stomach can process it better.
    Silent Hill Reptiles and Rodents
    https://www.silenthillreptiles.com/

1.4 Carpet pythons
    15.21 Corn snakes
    1.1 of SD reticulated pythons, cali kings,black house snakes,trans-pecos,northern pines
    1.2 Japanese rat, 1.3 natrix n. natrix
    6.1 Balls, 1.0 orange Halloween ATB, 1.0 bci