Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,441

4 members and 3,437 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,536
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg

Thread: Potential RI?

Thanks

Potential RI?

Hi all, this is my first time posting to this forum so I apologize if I make some mistakes.

So about 3 weeks ago I bought my first BP, a 6 month old het clown. She seemed pretty healthy when I checked her over, however shortly after putting her in her new enclosure I caught her yawning a couple of times. I messaged the seller immediately however he never replied.
    It took me a little while to get her humidity right as well as I've never worked with a species that needs high humidity, I couldn't seem to get it past 42% for the first week. Since then I've raised it and had hoped it would help, but I have continued to see her yawn quite often. I check her over every few days and there are no signs of mucous or bubbles, and I haven't heard any wheezing or clicking either. She eats really well too, and spends most of the time hiding as she should.

Do you think I should be worried? I have anxiety so I've been panicking about it more than I probably should but the yawning seems to be happening way too often. She is in a wooden viv, her temperature is currently 32°C (hot end) and 26°C (cold end), and the humidity is sitting around 56%. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,826 Times in 11,845 Posts
    Let's review: you aren't seeing bubbles or mucus? You aren't hearing clicking, whistling or squeaking sounds? Just abnormal yawning?

I would suggest NOT panicking...snakes do yawn, often it's an effort to re-set their jaws after eating. Have you looked closely at her mouth? Some snakes bump their
    faces & get part of their mouth caught on their teeth, or this happens when they eat...yawning is an effort to straighten them out (un-hook the offending teeth). It's also
    possible that some old shed remained on her face/chin after the last shed, and she's trying to loosen it? Raising humidity might be helpful, yours is or was too low anyway.

Either that, or you're really boring to your snake? (joking)
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 06-10-2020 at 02:35 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Re: Potential RI?

I'm a pretty boring person so I wouldn't be surprised

There is definitely no wheezing, and I don't see mucous when she yawns or when I checked her mouth, but I might look again just to be 100% sure. I'll check her teeth and skin too because that's not something I thought about. I'll boost the humidity some more, but if I have trouble with it I might switch her to a plastic viv because the current one seems to be struggling.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Potential RI?

Pretty sure if it had a RI it wouldn’t be eating as well as you said ..

I’d start spraying well every day to help bump the humidity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Zincubus; 06-10-2020 at 03:25 PM.

Thanks

That makes me feel a little better, thanks. I've been spraying every morning but I might spray before bed to keep it up over night as well.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,826 Times in 11,845 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cappuccino_Boa View Post
    That makes me feel a little better, thanks. I've been spraying every morning but I might spray before bed to keep it up over night as well.
    Spraying isn't a very effective way to raise humidity...it doesn't last long. You want to use a substrate that holds humidity, and/or use a humid hide (with very damp sphagnum moss inside), and/or a large water bowl (even better if it sits near heat source to hasten evaporation).
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 06-10-2020 at 04:27 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)