Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,989

3 members and 2,986 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

BP not settling after laying

My 25 year old BP laid 6 eggs 2 days ago, but after bathing her and cleaning the vivarium, and putting the old hide box (as shown in pic) back in (I used a cardboard box prior to laying as it was taller for wrapping around a clutch) she has been roaming quite a bit and hanging up by the wooden guard by the ceramic heater.

I closed up the other hole on the hidebox as can be seen in the pic, it might make her stay in there

There's a heatmat on a thermostat at the far left end of the hidebox (temp is 85-90F) (so she can choose to be warm or cool inside the hidebox), and the ceramic is on a pulse proportional thermostat, and gives an ambient in the centre of the vivarium temp of 80F.
    Trying to keep the humidity around 60%

Typically she would just be in the hidebox all day.

Last year and this year whilst gravid she would act weird and start climbing up on the mesh guard but now she is doing it quite a bit.

She's dropped from 2900g to 1900g this year, a slightly bigger drop than last year.

I thought she might have been hungry so I put a F/T rat in last night, she sniffed at it but wasn't interested.
    Last year she ate about 5 days after laying, and ate 10 200g rats in a row stopping in November.

At this moment she is relaxed under the ceramic, but I'd rather she was in the hide box.

Is there anything wrong with my setup, would it be better if I put her in a tub so its dark all the time?
    Please advise if you can, thanks very much.
    Last edited by colin-java; 06-05-2020 at 10:48 AM.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I can't help with her behavior, but if that's tape I see inside the enclosure it should be removed ASAP. Tape should NEVER be used inside an enclosure. The snake can become stuck to the tape causing horrible scale damage. I ever heard of one snake dying when it got stuck on tape, apparently the snake got scared and started thrashing to get loose and ended up fatally breaking its own neck.

Just trying to help

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

colin-java (06-05-2020)

Thanks

Re: BP not settling after laying

Ok done, it was only temporary while the other box was there.
    I did know about the tape issue but thought it was safe enough for a few days, but I guess its not worth the risk.
    Thanks

5. The Following User Says Thank You to colin-java For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (06-05-2020)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That's because you need to remove the eggs scent from EVERYWHERE, first the snake , second the enclosure, it needs to be wiped clean completely, including furniture (I usually recommend Chlorhexidine for both)

Without that she will keep being restless and be reluctant to eat.
    Deborah Stewart

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

colin-java (06-05-2020)

Thanks

I put her in a tub
    Washed the carpet and fake plants with hose pipe
    Disinfected the vivarium and water dish with antibacterial stuff
    I put everything back and put the original hide box back in (which wasn't there during laying)

I cleaned the glass windows too.

The only bit I didn't clean was the wooden guard thingy, I suppose there could be scent on there

Then I gave her a bath in that tub, so I donno, might possibly help to do it again.
    Last edited by colin-java; 06-05-2020 at 12:01 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by colin-java View Post
    I put her in a tub
    Washed the carpet and fake plants with hose pipe
    Disinfected the vivarium and water dish with antibacterial stuff
    I put everything back and put the original hide box back in (which wasn't there during laying)

Then I gave her a bath in that tub, so I don't think its an egg scent issue.

I suppose I could do it again if you think it might help.
    In the majority of cases it usually work now there is also a small percentage of female that no matter waht will remain restless even after all that and only resume back to normal including eating at the 60 day mark which marks the time when their clutch is due to hatch, and sadly they can get back to normal one year and the following display that type of behaviour, it's not uncommon and all you can do is keep offering food, smaller than usual and see if they will take it.
    Deborah Stewart

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

colin-java (06-05-2020),Craiga 01453 (06-05-2020)

Thanks

Thanks, I did miss cleaning the wooden thing you can see she is climbing on now
    And she was climbing on it before I washed her, so I guess its possible there's some scent on there.
    I think I'll just do a thorough clean again, and a bath.
    Really need one of those things that shows up urine stains under UV light, but for egg scent instead.

I only just bought 15 150-250g rats, I might have to get something smaller too.
    I don't like the idea of assist feeding cause it probably makes things worse, but that's a last resort I guess.

I'm wondering if its stress, but at least if she's hanging off the guard thing, she's not moving all over the place

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I only just bought 15 150-250g rats, I might have to get something smaller too.
    I don't like the idea of assist feeding cause it probably makes things worse, but that's a last resort I guess.
    There is absolutely NO reason to assist an animal that knows how to eat the only thing that you will accomplish by doing so is stress the animal leading to more refusal. There are many things that can be done before it is time to panic.
    Deborah Stewart

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

colin-java (06-05-2020),dr del (06-08-2020)

Thanks
    Yeah, I said it makes it worse, and its a last resort

I'm doing a reclean and bath now, she still trying to get out of the tub though, I doubt it will work.

Thanks

After the re-clean and bath she is still wandering a bit and climbing on the heater guard.
    This climbing on the heater guard only started last year whilst building follicles / making eggs.

I've made a cover to put over the glass so she might settle down easier, in case its stress.
    I've ordered some 75g rats which I'll try her on next week.

There's clearly no eggs left inside her, but I'm wondering if there is a slug egg inside and that's keeping her from settling down.

Or maybe its just hormones or something.

I think I'm gonna give her 2 or 3 weeks, and if she hasn't taken a 75g rat by then I'll see a vet.
    How does that sound, thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast