Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,492

1 members and 1,491 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: BP not settling after laying

Quote Originally Posted by colin-java View Post

I think I'm gonna give her 2 or 3 weeks, and if she hasn't taken a 75g rat by then I'll see a vet.
    How does that sound, thanks.
    I would not go and see a vet because a female does not take food after 3 weeks of laying her eggs, what is the vet gonna do? tell you to assist feed, give you unecessary medication? Most vet have a poor understanding on what triggers those animals.

Again this is not unusual and there are ways to help them settle back down that may require a little work on your hand and willingness to make temporary changes but again it could be 60 days before she normally resume without doing any of that.
    Deborah Stewart

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

colin-java (06-06-2020)

Thanks

Re: BP not settling after laying

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart_Reptiles View Post
    I would not go and see a vet because a female does not take food after 3 weeks of laying her eggs, what is the vet gonna do? tell you to assist feed, give you unecessary medication? Most vet have a poor understanding on what triggers those animals.

Again this is not unusual and there are ways to help them settle back down that may require a little work on your hand and willingness to make temporary changes but again it could be 60 days before she normally resume without doing any of that.
    Thanks, I was just thinking there could be something wrong physically, like possibly a slug egg that didn't make it out.

But yeah, the stress of being examined isn't gonna help either.

You mentioned the 60 days, so I guess she could still be being maternal, but saying that, when I put her back in with the eggs (cause they had veins in and I wasn't sure what I was gonna do with them) she wrapped them but later just went climbing up on the heater guard again, so I really donno

I'm prepared to change her enclosure if needed, but saying that, its been fine for her for 10 years, and last year, about 5 days after the eggs she took 10 200g rats in a row without missing a single meal and put all that weight back on nicely.
    (you probably remember me getting advice then cause I didn't know what was going on with the swelling and the vet I saw wasn't great, he kept asking me if she had laid and it had only been a couple of weeks past ovulation, so I came here and got proper advice from yourself and others).

If I did get a tub, I think I'd have to get something longer and section it off so as to provide 80C ambient heat. It gets cold in the uk in winter so a single heat mat isn't really enough.

For now, I'll keep her covered up and keep trying the small rats for a couple of months.

Thanks again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12