Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,567

3 members and 2,564 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Turtle is dying - need help

Quote Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post
    Hahahhaha, awesome!! Those things should be banned.

I wish you the best of luck!! Please keep us posted
    i know. i threw in onto the concrete patio and it shattered. i then ran outside. i grabbed the rock (or what was left of it) and threw it down as hard as i could multiple times. a month or so later, after we lost the cord for our radio, my brother said that he had found it. i saw the zoo med logo on it and threw it away.
    I have dedicated my life to teaching others on the dangers of a hot rock heating system for anything but a totally inefficient snow melter or a totally efficient peice of garbage. just kidding about the "i have dedicated my life part
    Last edited by Coyote peterson; 06-05-2020 at 08:30 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Coyote peterson For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (06-06-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I'll be honest with you...if you cannot (or will not) afford vet care for the pets you keep (when it really matters, like now), you shouldn't be keeping them at all. It's just not fair to the animals you claim to care about.
    sorry for the misunderstanding. I just caught her yesterday, with the intent to study her and care for her and then release her in a week or two. today the accident happened, so i took her encosure (minus the basking rock, plus a floating island of wood) outside. Ill be honest.. i dont know how hurt she actually is. She looks (and acts) like shes injured, But almost when im certain that shes severely injured and dying, she does something that makes me think again. Shes definately improving; this morning she was barely moving, now shes sliding into the water when i come near her. At the same time shes just acting strangely. Anyway, i can see where there was the misunderstanding. i can afford taking my pets to the vet when i need to (emergancies), but i cant afford 200 bucks every time they look a little off. like i said, im not rich. that being said, i will take them to the vet when they absolutely need it, like parisites or mouthrot, but if there is somthing (like diarhea) that may or may not actually be the worst situation ever. i hope you understand that.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,793 Times in 11,827 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote peterson View Post
    sorry for the misunderstanding. I just caught her yesterday, with the intent to study her and care for her and then release her in a week or two. today the accident happened, so i took her encosure (minus the basking rock, plus a floating island of wood) outside. Ill be honest.. i dont know how hurt she actually is. She looks (and acts) like shes injured, But almost when im certain that shes severely injured and dying, she does something that makes me think again. Shes definately improving; this morning she was barely moving, now shes sliding into the water when i come near her. At the same time shes just acting strangely. Anyway, i can see where there was the misunderstanding. i can afford taking my pets to the vet when i need to (emergancies), but i cant afford 200 bucks every time they look a little off. like i said, im not rich. that being said, i will take them to the vet when they absolutely need it, like parisites or mouthrot, but if there is somthing (like diarhea) that may or may not actually be the worst situation ever. i hope you understand that.
    And I hope that you understand that when you take an animal from the wild, that YOU are now responsible for it's care...if that doesn't work for you, then kindly leave all wild animals alone. She would not have had that "accident" if she'd been left alone, would she? Yes things happen in the wild, but catching & keeping an animal means YOU are now responsible. Do the right thing...

Also, if you're keeping any non-native herps, was this turtle kept in strictest quarantine from all your other herps? If not, you should NOT be releasing her no matter what, as you can be inadvertently spreading diseases from your NON-native herps to the wild populations, either by pathogens or parasites carried (internal or external), and those accidental diseases could decimate our local populations. BE responsible please! FYI.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 06-05-2020 at 10:19 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Alien (06-08-2020),Craiga 01453 (06-06-2020),Crowfingers (06-06-2020),GoingPostal (06-06-2020),Luvyna (06-06-2020),PartySnake13 (06-09-2020),Reptile$ 4 Life (06-05-2020),Toad37 (06-06-2020)

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts
    So you illegally took a wild turtle, it got injured under your care and you aren't willing to vet it. I hope you've learned something from this "study".

2.0 Python brongersmai
    1.1 Python breitensteini
    1.0 Python curtus
    1.0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Acrantophis dumerili
    1.0 Boa constrictor
    0.1 Heterodon nasiscus nasiscus
    0.0.1 Pantherophis guttatus

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GoingPostal For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-06-2020),Caitlin (06-06-2020),jmcrook (06-06-2020),PartySnake13 (06-09-2020),Toad37 (06-06-2020),wnateg (06-06-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    And I hope that you understand that when you take an animal from the wild, that YOU are now responsible for it's care...if that doesn't work for you, then kindly leave all wild animals alone. She would not have had that "accident" if she'd been left alone, would she? Yes things happen in the wild, but catching & keeping an animal means YOU are now responsible. Do the right thing...

Also, if you're keeping any non-native herps, was this turtle kept in strictest quarantine from all your other herps? If not, you should NOT be releasing her no matter what, as you can be inadvertently spreading diseases from your NON-native herps to the wild populations, either by pathogens or parasites carried (internal or external), and those accidental diseases could decimate our local populations. BE responsible please! FYI.
    Yes, I understand that. I know that i am now responsible. The only reasons that i did not vet the turtle are
    (a). As i said, i am not rich.
    (b). The only vets near me were closed
    (c). i wasnt sure if the turtle was actually severely injured, or just scared. I thought that she was hurt, though.

And look what happened! she must have just been scared, because TODAY SHE IS BACK TO NORMAL!!! Im SO glad!! That waas one of the reasons not to vet her-- i wasnt sure.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GoingPostal View Post
    So you illegally took a wild turtle, it got injured under your care and you aren't willing to vet it. I hope you've learned something from this "study".
    apperantly she was just scared-- shes back to normal! Yes ive learned that BABY TURTLES ARE NOT GOOD PETS!!!!! THEY ARE WAY TO FRAGILE!

Thanks
    Thanked 19,793 Times in 11,827 Posts

Yes, I understand that. I know that i am now responsible. The only reasons that i did not vet the turtle are
    (a). As i said, i am not rich.
    (b). The only vets near me were closed
    (c). i wasnt sure if the turtle was actually severely injured, or just scared. I thought that she was hurt, though.

And look what happened! she must have just been scared, because TODAY SHE IS BACK TO NORMAL!!! Im SO glad!! That waas one of the reasons not to vet her-- i wasnt sure.
    And you KNEW you "weren't rich" when you captured her out of the wild, yes? Under the circumstances it's best you leave wildlife alone or call a licensed re-haber IF &
    when any animal needs help. Wildlife doesn't belong to the first person who sees it, you know?
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Bodie (06-06-2020),Craiga 01453 (06-07-2020),Danger noodles (06-06-2020),PartySnake13 (06-09-2020),Reptile$ 4 Life (06-06-2020),Stewart_Reptiles (06-06-2020),Toad37 (06-06-2020)

Thanks

apperantly she was just scared-- shes back to normal! Yes ive learned that BABY TURTLES ARE NOT GOOD PETS!!!!! THEY ARE WAY TO FRAGILE!
    with all the YouTube vids That you post, you should easily have the money for a vet.
    I’m just a bill sitting on top of capital hill.

Thanks

I don't know about New York by in Virginia it is illegal to take wild turtles, keep them, then release them again. You can kill entire wild populations by doing that. Also, hatchlings are super vulnerable to stress and being in captivity, your house is not the place for them, PLEASE PUT IT BACK before you contaminate it with any pathogens from other pets.
    There is no need to kidnap a wild animal for "study" - that's what books and the internet are for. Covid, money, and where vets are mean nothing to this animal, survival does.

I've was a licensed wildlife rehabber for 13 years, and at least 60% of our patients are animals taken from the wild by people who can't or won't care for them properly, many didn't survive due to the poor care they received - you can't possibly get the foods it can in the wild. Chances are it hatched last year and overwintered in the nest and has just recently left now that spring weather is reaching your area
    Last edited by Crowfingers; 06-06-2020 at 10:30 PM.
    No cage is too large - nature is the best template - a snoot can't be booped too much

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crowfingers For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-07-2020),Caitlin (06-08-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Danger noodles View Post
    with all the YouTube vids That you post, you should easily have the money for a vet.
    Ummmm... this is embarrassing. Im not that Coyote Peterson. You got the wrong guy. Sorry!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast