Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,972

1 members and 2,971 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Any suggestions for my next snake?

Quote Originally Posted by puddingscales View Post
    Very true, money is an important factor. I feel like it is feasible for me to purchase up to around a $500 snake, as I am a teenager. I haven’t had trouble buying supplies in the past, that should be pretty easy.
    No offense, but life is easier at this point in your life because living with your parents allow you the financial freedom to do most of what you want. For example, if you need a ride to the vet or the store, your mom or older sibling may offer to take you. I am assuming you will be keeping your snakes in your bedroom like most people do when they live with their parents, unless the parents are a fan or pet keepers as well.

Having a car of your own to drive without asking for permission, taking public transit without supervision, and paying for what you need for your pets without having to borrow money or ask for it from someone else... This is not to be expected from you at this age and at this point in your life.

In a few years, all that will change. Going to college or moving out does not guarantee a roommate who would tolerate or accept your pet snakes. One snake is too much for some people, even if it stays in your room. Or your dorm does not allow any pets. Or you could only afford a small 600 sqft apartment by yourself.

Did your parents agree to another pet snake? Just because they accepted one or may like your first snake does not mean they will be okay with more in the house.

Consider this, vet bills are expensive. Exotic vet bills are double to triple the amount, because you will need an experienced reptile vet who knows the species you are working with. Who will be paying for the surgeries, the diagnostic testing, the blood work? An exam alone in my area costs about $60-75. Just for a check up for my blue tongue skink cost me $250. And every pet owner knows vet bills are part of the deal you make with each pet you bring home.

Needless to say, I recommend no other snakes for you. I have a lot, many are wonderful species to keep, but I cannot recommend anything to you at this time. Once you move out of your parents home, keep a job for a few years, go to school, start a serious dating life, etc... And you are ready financially and mentally ready for another pet commitment, I will be here for you.

Another option that would cost you nothing is to volunteer. Volunteer at your local reptile rescue or hero society. Get involved. Or apply to a part time position at a reptile store or volunteer if they allow it.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-05-2020),Caitlin (06-06-2020),Craiga 01453 (06-05-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    I heartily agree with all that's been posted already, but one more thing to consider at your age: your friends...especially close friends & dates. Some will not accept your
    pet snakes, so just remember your choice of pets may affect your social connections. That's even BEFORE you need to find your own place to live someday...pets are our
    responsibility & many kinds of snakes can live a long time...20-30 years. Think before you buy...it's a big commitment.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

christineho (06-05-2020),Craiga 01453 (06-05-2020)

Thanks

Echoing what is said before... BPs can live for 25-40 years. It's not healthy for humans to live with their parents too long. Unless you're a silver spoon child, once you move out, you're going to be dirt poor for a few years at least. Apartments have different rules. Your roommates might not like snakes, especially a "large" one. Also, moving with snakes is a real pain, especially if you need to go long distance. And all this is coming from a guy who had two BP living in bins under his bed in college. I ended up having to get rid of them. I don't know where they are now, and I worry about them.

Better a snake than a cat or dog though. Personally, my favorite small, easy to keep, fun snake is a hognose. A lot of folks who don't like snakes, like hognose. Transporting is easier, care is easier, convincing future roommates or "Significant Other" is easier. But don't get another large snake, until you are REALLY settled.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andeal For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-05-2020),Craiga 01453 (06-05-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post
    I also feel it's EXTREMELY important to have some cash squirreled away for emergency vet bills, equipment failures, etc... Accidents happen, illness happens, equipment fails. So it's our responsibility to be able to afford new equipment or vet bills, which you typically have no time to prepare or save up for. Just my two cents, but I find it irresponsible and unfair to take on pets if you can't provide in emergency situations as well.

As for what snake to get...that's completely up to WHAT YOU WANT in your new pet. There are tons of species (not breeds, FYI) to choose from, so without knowing your expectations there's no way we can help you.
    I really feel like this cannot be understated. Since you're a teenager, make sure you have much more than just the cost of the snake itself saved up -- unforeseen things can happen and you'll need to have the cash on hand to do the right thing for your new snake.
    /chris

---
    0.1 Catahoula Leopard Dog / Zooey
    ---
    1.0 Leopard Gecko / Leonard
    ---
    1.0 Normal Ball Python / Edward
    1.0 Banana Ball Python / Bartholomew
    1.0 Blue Eyed Leucistic Ball Python / Alfredo

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to christineho For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-05-2020),Craiga 01453 (06-05-2020)

Thanks
    A milk snake or king snake might be a good choice. I prefer milk snakes. They are really a great pet. They are hardy, eat frozen/thawed food, and don't need a huge tank. I think they would make a great apartment pet.

Thanks

First of all, I can’t actually give an adequate advice so you should not listen to me and should take into account what all the people with much more experience have advices.

The points that the people above have brought up are something I myself heavily considered when getting my first snake. They are a big commitment, assuming my BP will have a long healthy life, I might have her for longer than any romantic relationship I’d ever have. So it’s basically like a mini marriage.

These are the things I briefly considered: getting a snake with shorter lifespan or adopting an older snake. Sounds kind of morbid. Now i didn’t decide to go that route, obviously, but I made sure if push comes to shove that there’s someone to take care of my snake while I figure out housing arrangements.

No one here knows your situation, if you’re planning on going to college, living with your parents till you can afford a place of your own, etc. Maybe you don’t even have a solid plan for the future and that’s okay, but you have a responsibility to your snake. So make sure you have a plan no matter what you decide to do and aren’t just getting snakes because they’re cute and you really want a new pet. The novelty of a new pet doesn’t always last long and don’t get too caught up in chasing the excitement of having a new baby (I struggle with this as well, it’s like baby fever pet edition).

All that being said I think hognose snakes are really cute and I’d love to have one one day in the not so near future. So maybe you’d like those too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered User Reptile$ 4 Life's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LyraIsGray View Post

These are the things I briefly considered: getting a snake with shorter lifespan or adopting an older snake. Sounds kind of morbid. Now i didn’t decide to go that route, obviously, but I made sure if push comes to shove that there’s someone to take care of my snake while I figure out housing arrangements.

All that being said I think hognose snakes are really cute and I’d love to have one one day in the not so near future. So maybe you’d like those too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It does sound kinda morbid but you do have a good point. Tricolored hognose are BEAUTIFUL but have really short life spans (for a snake). I believe the average is around 8 years.
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (Flicker)
    1.2 Southern Alligator Liazrds (Wraith, Magma & Annie)
    0.1 Western Skink (Stella)
    1.1 Leopard Geckos (Leo & Jade)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Reptile$ 4 Life For This Useful Post:

LyraIsGray (06-06-2020)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12