Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,987

1 members and 2,986 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

New Ball Python trying to escape new tank??

So I'm noticing my snake is rubbing up against the glass and pacing back and forth across the glass and looking out and also climbing up the wall to get to the screen on top. He only does this at night when he comes out to explore and he doesnt do it everynight, some nights he explores in a usual manner (he stays in his hides all day) I just got him about 2 weeks ago so he is quite new. Im wondering if maybe this is him trying to escape? Ive read that that is a bad sign and hes trying to find somewhere better to go. If this is the case I honestly dont know what to do. I know his tank is a bit big for him (40 gallons) considering hes 6 months old. I do have the tank quite cluttered because of this and people on this forum have told me its cluttered well. So maybe he just needs more time to settle in? I know that he must not be too stressed about his tank because hes already taken two meals. So I dont know what to do because I dont have anywhere else to house him. I could try and clutter the tank some more but thats about all I could do. Or should I just let him warm up to the tank? Also I have the back wall of the tank covered and plan on covering the two side walls so maybe that'll help? Please give me advice!

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BallPythonBabe; 06-04-2020 at 08:52 PM.

Thanks

Re: New Ball Python trying to escape new tank??

If the tank is cluttered and he is eating, leave him be. This is pretty normal behavior.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Keri Mac
    1.0 Normal BP
    1.0 Deep Purple Passion BP

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kerimac View Post
    If the tank is cluttered and he is eating, leave him be. This is pretty normal behavior.

Even if he keeps trying to get out constantly? Im watching him currently and he keeps doing it repeatedly all of a sudden. Ive never seen him do this. Like hes done it before a couple times but now all of a sudden he wont stop trying. He just keeps climbing the wall, reaching the top, sliding down, and repeating. And now hes just pacing the glass again! Sorry Im just worried as this is my first snake and want to give him the best life possible!

Last edited by BallPythonBabe; 06-04-2020 at 09:00 PM.

Thanks

Ball pythons will try to escape or follow the edges of the enclosure and push up to try and escape. However if it is frequent, and happens almost daily it could be a sign of stress.

I’m thinking your snake might also be stressed because you mentioned he was pacing around the edges as well. Usually these signs mean that either his enclosure doesn’t feel safe enough, or he needs more room. You can try and make the opening of your hides smaller, and make it so it’s faced away from the front. You could also incorporate a few more hides that again face away from the front. You could also rearrange the decor so that it will make him feel more safe inside.

I remember looking at the photo of your enclosure, and although it is displayed very nicely, and there were lots of plant coverage, the front portion was completely open. If you spaced out the decor and plants to go everywhere this might make it better? I’m not sure if this would work but I guess it could be worth a shot.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Faith.luu View Post
    Ball pythons will try to escape or follow the edges of the enclosure and push up to try and escape. However if it is frequent, and happens almost daily it could be a sign of stress.

I’m thinking your snake might also be stressed because you mentioned he was pacing around the edges as well. Usually these signs mean that either his enclosure doesn’t feel safe enough, or he needs more room. You can try and make the opening of your hides smaller, and make it so it’s faced away from the front. You could also incorporate a few more hides that again face away from the front. You could also rearrange the decor so that it will make him feel more safe inside.

I remember looking at the photo of your enclosure, and although it is displayed very nicely, and there were lots of plant coverage, the front portion was completely open. If you spaced out the decor and plants to go everywhere this might make it better? I’m not sure if this would work but I guess it could be worth a shot.
    Do you think covering the 2 sides of the tank would help at all? I planned on doing that anyways. But I dont really have any decor to put at the front of the tank I dont believe.

Last edited by BallPythonBabe; 06-04-2020 at 09:31 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BallPythonBabe View Post
    Do you think covering the 2 sides of the tank would help at all? I planned on doing that anyways. But I dont really have any decor to put at the front of the tank I dont believe.

Covering the two sides could definitely help! When did he last eat? Could he be hungry?
    /chris

---
    0.1 Catahoula Leopard Dog / Zooey
    ---
    1.0 Leopard Gecko / Leonard
    ---
    1.0 Normal Ball Python / Edward
    1.0 Banana Ball Python / Bartholomew
    1.0 Blue Eyed Leucistic Ball Python / Alfredo

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BallPythonBabe View Post

It’ll definitely help.

You could either rearrange the decor, or just wait to get some new ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by christineho View Post
    Covering the two sides could definitely help! When did he last eat? Could he be hungry?
    His feeding day is tomorrow, he ate last saturday, I feed him a medium mouse every 6 days. So possibly hes hungry?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Faith.luu View Post
    It’ll definitely help.

You could either rearrange the decor, or just wait to get some new ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I dont really know how Id rearrange it but Ill be sure to cover the sides

Thanks

Yes. I ordered thick black out tint from Amazon and put on 3 sides of my 40 gallon breeder tank. It is not like auto tint. It is very thick. Also, make sure the Temps and humidity are correct. Use a temp gun. I also installed plexiglass on the screen lid and cut an opening for a ceramic heating element above to improve the ambient Temps in my tank. I hope he calms down soon!

Keri Mac
    1.0 Normal BP
    1.0 Deep Purple Passion BP

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast