Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 509

0 members and 509 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,895 Times in 2,991 Posts

Re: 10 month old Piebald male refusing to eat

Quote Originally Posted by MusicCityMack View Post
    Thanks!

I haven’t used chicks yet, since the vast majority of my collection will eat rats. The lone exception is the OD mouser I mentioned. My biggest struggle at the moment is trying to get my Retic to eat f/t, since I don’t want to be bringing in live rabbits in about a year. So far, she won’t even take a fresh killed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I’m not suggesting chicks at this stage to be honest .. I just have one Royal who went 15 months without eating a damn thing but then was seduced by a couple of thawed chicks and has eaten chicks ever since .. he will not eat anything else though !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-04-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,484 Times in 2,683 Posts

Best wishes with your new BP. Please share pictures when you can. They all eat eventually so don't stress. If your temps are in range and he's got a couple of hides hopefully he'll settle in and eat soon. I agree with sticking to rats if that's what the snake was eating prior and spacing out the feeding attempts to biweekly offerings. Keep us posted on your progress!
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

Thanks
    Thanked 19,730 Times in 11,794 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jlok619 View Post
    Thanks! I think I’ve been a lil too anxious to feed, so I’ll wait a bit longer in between attempts, I’ve been trying every 5 days or so, I’ll give it two weeks. I will also read up on that!
    I agree with the suggestions you've gotten so far (stop handling until he's eating reliably, etc) but just one thing to add: it further stresses a snake when we keep offering food. Since you've been trying every "5 days or so", that combined with handling (IMO) is likely what has stressed him into not eating. It's often best with a new snake (of any age) to just not even offer food for at least a week or 2 (unless they really act hungry). That way they can both settle in AND get hungry. But when we try too hard to get them to eat, it usually backfires, so just relax & he'll probably relax too.

And
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 06-04-2020 at 03:06 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (06-29-2020)

Thanks

Unless I’ve missed something .. aren’t warm side temps of 87F ( at best ) rather low for a Royal ??

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    From the prey size being way too small (basically for an hatchling out of the egg) to an enclosure designed for an adult female there is no surprise there, you need to downsize temporarily until your snake feeds for you and you need to offer the right prey and right size.

Your snake right now is telling you that what YOU are doing is not working.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    Good news everyone! Tonight the lil guy decided to finally strike at a rat pup I thawed out with the hair drier method Zincubbus told me about. It just took a few tries, but after warming it up and drangling the rat pup infront of his hide, he struck it and it currently wrapped around it. I will leave him alone for the night and let you guys know if he kept it down by tomorrow. Thanks again!

Thanks

Good news everyone! Tonight the lil guy decided to finally strike at a rat pup I thawed out with the hair drier method Zincubbus told me about. It just took a few tries, but after warming it up and drangling the rat pup infront of his hide, he struck it and it currently wrapped around it. I will leave him alone for the night and let you guys know if he kept it down by tomorrow. Thanks again!
    Wonderful news !!

Even after all these years it’s still so disheartening when one of your snakes doesn’t eat ...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Jlok619 (06-15-2020)

Thanks

This boy is eating like a champ now! Today he ate his third rat since he started eating 3 weeks ago. Thanks a bunch to Zincubus for teaching me the hair drier method to warm up his prey. I recommend to anyone having trouble getting their BP to eat, to try this method. I could not even get mine to strike or show any interest before I tried this, now he strikes within a few seconds of me dangling his warmed up rat infront of his hide. You may have to try a few times like I did the first time, but eventually he struck and ate his rat. Now it only takes a few seconds and he’s a happy camper eating normally every 7 days.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jlok619 For This Useful Post:

christineho (06-29-2020),EL-Ziggy (06-29-2020),Zincubus (06-29-2020)

Thanks

10 month old Piebald male refusing to eat

This boy is eating like a champ now! Today he ate his third rat since he started eating 3 weeks ago. Thanks a bunch to Zincubus for teaching me the hair drier method to warm up his prey. I recommend to anyone having trouble getting their BP to eat, to try this method. I could not even get mine to strike or show any interest before I tried this, now he strikes within a few seconds of me dangling his warmed up rat infront of his hide. You may have to try a few times like I did the first time, but eventually he struck and ate his rat. Now it only takes a few seconds and he’s a happy camper eating normally every 7 days.
    That is wonderful news when we’re bombarded with so much bad stuff on the telly !!

Once you see it work it somehow fills YOU with confidence for all subsequent feeds and that’s why I stress how important in the first instance to keep reheating and re-offering until it grabs it .

So now if it misses one or two feeds in the future don’t panic just leave it 10 days or so and try again

Last edited by Zincubus; 06-29-2020 at 03:08 AM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Jlok619 (06-30-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,484 Times in 2,683 Posts

I'm glad he's eating well for you now. They ALL eat eventually.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

16. The Following User Says Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

Jlok619 (06-30-2020)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12