Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,867

0 members and 2,867 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Re: White-lipped python

Quote Originally Posted by Awesomethepossum View Post
    I lowered the basking heat as you suggested to 89-90. Temps on hot side are 86 (ambient). The cool side is 82-83 right now, but they decrease over the course of the evening-night into the high-70s.

I figured it was worth a shot, I know I've heard mixed things about it. But basically, I put a small cut on the skull to to see if that extra scent would entice him to eat. Nothing excessive

I don't know how effective it is, maybe it varies by individual/species. I think some use this method for finicky eaters, or when transitioning over to different prey items

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Just wanted to chime in and say that in all my years in this hobby I literally heard of braining working ONE time and it was just recently.

I always suggest being consistent when offering. Feeding the same prey the snake was eating before coming to you in the same method is typically what gets them started.

Gorgeous WLP by the way. I've been casually looking for a CBB for a bit. I'm running out of room, but a WLP is definitely on the short list

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Awesomethepossum (07-07-2020),EL-Ziggy (07-07-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post
    Just wanted to chime in and say that in all my years in this hobby I literally heard of braining working ONE time and it was just recently.

I always suggest being consistent when offering. Feeding the same prey the snake was eating before coming to you in the same method is typically what gets them started.

Gorgeous WLP by the way. I've been casually looking for a CBB for a bit. I'm running out of room, but a WLP is definitely on the short list
    I personally didn't think braining would work, but it was worth a shot. And thank you!

I didn't get specific info in regards to his feeding. To be fair, I believe this is because he was likely freshly imported (Joe was kind enough to reach out to me personally as soon as he got WLPs in and were available for sale). I was told mice or rats. Live, f/t or p/k.

It's the first time I've ever gotten an imported animal. But I do typically ask for every bit of info available on the individual. I would have loved to get a CBB, but I hadn't seen any available (or they got nabbed fast) and I got impatient

He was a reasonable price. No mites or infections, healthy body weight, no scars, and good temperament (once he acclimated). I still want to get a fecal done for him, but all things considered, I'm pleased

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Awesomethepossum For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-09-2020),Craiga 01453 (07-07-2020)

Thanks

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, or if anyone knows the answer to this..but I've heard that Indonesia may be placing heavier restrictions on animal exports in the near future. Has anyone heard anything of this?

Thanks

In regards to that previous question, it was apparently an unverified rumor. Was just wondering if it would have affected WLP importations. Disregard ...

Anyway, just a mini update- I waited a few days after his successful feeding earlier this week, and left Jekyll 2 x-small quail and 1 x-small hamster last night on top of his hide. I checked this morning, and the hamster was gone and he left the quail untouched.

Apparently, he prefers it when I leave the feeders on top of his hide. I've left quail and previously offered feeders directly in front of his hide without success. Not sure if they're typically that particular, but whatever works.

The night after his first feeding, he did excrete some fecal matter, but it was a very minute amount and very loose. A friend who frequently buys imports suggested that it might not have been from his feeding with me, and to wait for his second poo, as that one may be like that because of the stress/being off food for a while.

I'm going to start offering him smaller prey items twice a week. I don't know how fast these guys grow when they're young, but as time goes by, I hope he becomes more confident about taking food.

Last edited by Awesomethepossum; 07-10-2020 at 11:17 AM.

Thanks

Update:

I finally got tagged today

I haven't held Jekyll in a couple of weeks and needed to take him out to spot clean. He was in a mood (already musking/peeing when I lifted the hide up) so I put my cat glove on. Got him out with the hook, then he went up past the arm covering...and grabbed my elbow.

(Took this picture right after he realized biting me wouldn't give the desired effect. So happy that I finally got a picture that fully captured his iridescence/colors!)

Other than that, he's been eating pretty well for me. Really likes quail and hamster, however I'm working on switching him over to rats now that he's put on some weight and feeds more consistently.

Also, his 4×2 enclosure from Herptastic came in, which I'm excited about. I'll need to install a RHP and assemble the cage, but I'll probably keep him in his current tub for a bit longer.

Last edited by Awesomethepossum; 07-25-2020 at 10:11 AM.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Awesomethepossum For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (07-25-2020),Gio (07-25-2020),richardhind1972 (07-25-2020),wnateg (07-25-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,484 Times in 2,683 Posts

Those colors and that iridescence is insane! I'm glad he's doing well with you!
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

10. The Following User Says Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

Awesomethepossum (07-26-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts
    That’s a great shot.

Unbelievable coloring and the rainbow 🌈 is real.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

Wow that's one stunning python that colour and iridescence is insane
    So nice

Sent from my ELS-NX9 using Tapatalk

14. The Following User Says Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Hey, not really much of an update but I wanted to see if I could get some advice.

Jekyll still hasn't been transitioning over from drop-fed hamsters (tried scenting rat pups/even rat pinks with no success) and he also hasn't eaten on the past 2 weeks. He's pale and wrinkly, so I believe he's going into shed, and I'm hoping this could explain his lack of appetite.

That in mind,, I'm still concerned about getting a fecal test done. To confirm nothing is slowing down his appetite, or possibly his growth.

I want to be able to just send a sample in for testing without the stress of taking him to the vet, but I haven't found a vet that does this. They want to see him in first, which I understand, for treatment purposes.

However, I've heard of WLPs dying from the stress of these experiences and I'm very concerned. But I've also heard that imports (CH or otherwise) can have high internal parasite loads, and I want to deal with this if thats the case.

Is the stress of a vet visit THAT bad for them? I know they're high-stress snakes. Does anyone have any recommendations for getting fecals tested without vet trips (through a company or whatnot) or would a visit not as bad as I've been told?

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Awesomethepossum For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-25-2020),richardhind1972 (08-25-2020)

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

Just stunning

Sent from my ELS-NX9 using Tapatalk

18. The Following User Says Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

Awesomethepossum (08-25-2020)

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast