Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,931

1 members and 2,930 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,244 Times in 667 Posts
    Have you talked to the seller? What was he eating for them and how often? I wouldn’t offer food too often. Once a week and try a smaller prey item as not to scare him.

is he surely captive bred? There seems to be few of those. If so you are lucky. A lot of “farm bred captives” which to me is just a marketing phrase.

Are you using a hook to approach? You will want to this animal is by far my most electric and I have a few that you’d say really more so than x and yes really.

thankfully my guy has always had an appetite unless in shed. Have you tried to soak him? Some warm water and I actually mix in the plain pedialyte. It may help him pass anything and hydrate.

They are not known to be the friendliest snake and usually get a bad rap. My guy runs, musks and will sometimes strike the hook once out and I let him run through my hands a few times he’s really not too bad. He’s never stuck at me but he does spook easy and flail a bit.

get a hook going and see how he does w the adjusted temps and a soak. Then offer some smaller food items and see how he does after you ask the former guy what he was feeding
    1.0 - Cinnamon Banana Ball Python (Thunder)
    1.0 - Yellow Belly High White Pied Ball Python (Pretty Fly For A White Guy)
    0.1 - Cinnamon GHI Ball Python (Leslie Snipes)
    1.0 - Dumerils Boa (Sushi)
    0.1 - Caye Caulker Boa (Lady Liberty)
    0.0.? - Mandarin Rat Snake (Bumble)
    1.0 - Mexican Black King (Rico Suave)
    1.0 - Black Tail Cribo (Goldar)
    0.1 - Jaguar Carpet Python (Cookie)
    1.0 - Vietnamese Blue Beauty (Elsa)
    1.0 - Green Tree Python (Banner)
    0.2 - Yellow/Quince Monitors (Blanche & Dorothy)

Thanks

Re: White-lipped python

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    Have you talked to the seller? What was he eating for them and how often? I wouldn’t offer food too often. Once a week and try a smaller prey item as not to scare him.

is he surely captive bred? There seems to be few of those. If so you are lucky. A lot of “farm bred captives” which to me is just a marketing phrase.

Are you using a hook to approach? You will want to this animal is by far my most electric and I have a few that you’d say really more so than x and yes really.

thankfully my guy has always had an appetite unless in shed. Have you tried to soak him? Some warm water and I actually mix in the plain pedialyte. It may help him pass anything and hydrate.

They are not known to be the friendliest snake and usually get a bad rap. My guy runs, musks and will sometimes strike the hook once out and I let him run through my hands a few times he’s really not too bad. He’s never stuck at me but he does spook easy and flail a bit.

get a hook going and see how he does w the adjusted temps and a soak. Then offer some smaller food items and see how he does after you ask the former guy what he was feeding
    He isn't captive bred, but captive hatched. I had asked around to known breeders in search of CB, but of course, no availability. I got this one from JS Reptiles. A CH import from Indonesia.

I asked the seller what he was eating. I was told to offer either f/t or live adult mice or rat pups.

I haven't handled him since I put him in his tub (to allow him to de-stress). Happy to say that he didn't bite or mess on me when I held him that day, but I was very gentle with him. He just wanted to GO But I do have a hook, since I have other snakes. Just never needed to use it, but I know I will with this guy.

If needed, I'll do a soak if that'll help, or get him a live rodent. My other kids eat f/t rats, but whatever he'll take. I also have f/t chicks as well (quail and chicken). I'm not actually sure when the last time he ate was, but he is in good body condition, based on appearance. When I offer prey items, it's at night, in the dark, and ideally in a manner that he cannot see me. His tub is also covered partly in a blanket (to provide extra security, but to also allow for a day/night cycle). As little disturbance as possible

Maybe he just needs more time?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Awesomethepossum; 06-08-2020 at 09:46 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Awesomethepossum For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (06-08-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

White-lipped python

How long since you’ve had him? I’d maybe wait him out and leave him alone for a little bit and try f/t again. Then live and/or avian prey if you’ve already got chicks on hand, or maybe scent a rodent with a chick when thawing. I’ve heard stories of older WC animals that would only eat birds, I think that’s mentioned in one of the podcasts I sent. Best of luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jmcrook; 06-08-2020 at 10:10 PM.

Thanks

Joe Switalski always has great looking animals. You’re in for a fun challenge.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Team Slytherin For This Useful Post:

Awesomethepossum (06-09-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    How long since you’ve had him? I’d maybe wait him out and leave him alone for a little bit and try f/t again. Then live and/or avian prey if you’ve already got chicks on hand, or maybe scent a rodent with a chick when thawing. I’ve heard stories of older WC animals that would only eat birds, I think that’s mentioned in one of the podcasts I sent. Best of luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thank you. He came in on May 27th, so it'll be 2 weeks tomorrow. I'm one of those people that usually buys from local breeders and wants to know everything before a purchase, so this is uncharted territory for me. In multiple ways

I scented the first rat I offered (thawed it with a chick) after waiting a week. He freaked out from under his hide, and I heard him making disapproving huffing noises....So I backed off.

I'll keep an eye on his weight and try it again in a week. If it doesn't take, I'll buy a live rodent and see if that works

Thanks
    Thanked 5,484 Times in 2,683 Posts

If the snake was eating f/t before I wouldn't resort to a live prey item yet. Keep offering f/t food every 10-14 days until he eats. I wouldn't try live until he gets to 3 or 4 months without eating.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

9. The Following User Says Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Awesomethepossum View Post
    A quick check-in before work.He wasn't impressed

No experience with them but just wanted to say gratz on such a beautiful animal you have there.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Not the best picture, but I decided to hold him today, and this is how I was greeted. It didn't improve much from there

He saw the snake hook and started striking it, then made his move and shot straight up out of the tub. When I grabbed him to prevent this, he took a moment to process what was going on, and musked me.

I had a cat glove on one hand just for personal reassurance, since I assumed this would happen and was nervous.

When he realized he wasn't going anywhere, he stopped fighting my hold, struck the glove 2-3 times, then redirected these efforts to my face (of course).

He maintained this focus (defensive, striking pose, tracking my movements) until I put him back in his tub, and when I did, he started rattling his tail.

My impression? A lot stronger and faster than I expected.Definitely more intense than a ball python
    I do wonder if this will improve with time or not.

Last edited by Awesomethepossum; 06-09-2020 at 09:03 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Awesomethepossum For This Useful Post:

Reptile$ 4 Life (06-09-2020)

Registered User Reptile$ 4 Life's Avatar
    Thanks

Not the best picture, but I decided to hold him today, and this is how I was greeted. It didn't improve much from there

He saw the snake hook and started striking it, then made his move and shot straight up out of the tub. When I grabbed him to prevent this, he took a moment to process what was going on, and musked me.

I had a cat glove on one hand just for personal reassurance, since I assumed this would happen and was nervous.

When he realized he wasn't going anywhere, he stopped fighting my hold, struck the glove 2-3 times, then redirected these efforts to my face (of course).

He maintained this focus (defensive, striking pose) until I put him back in his tub, and when I did, he started rattling his tail.

My impression? A lot stronger and faster than I expected.Definitely more intense than a ball python

Wow! Sounds like you had quite the adventure with him. Hopefully he calms down for you but only time will tell. At least you have such a gorgeous animal.
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (Flicker)
    1.2 Southern Alligator Liazrds (Wraith, Magma & Annie)
    0.1 Western Skink (Stella)
    1.1 Leopard Geckos (Leo & Jade)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Reptile$ 4 Life For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

What an adventure! Best wishes as he ages. My blood is my challenging one right now.

He maintained this focus (defensive, striking pose, tracking my movements) until I put him back in his tub, and when I did, he started rattling his tail.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast