Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,921

2 members and 2,919 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    He's a challenge for sure. While sometimes there's no avoiding vet care, at the wrong time or for the wrong snake, I think they can lose their will to live when they're on
    that fine line & if the treatment is too aggressive. I hope you can get him on track... I'm pulling for ya!
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Awesomethepossum (08-27-2020)

Thanks

Re: White-lipped python

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    He's a challenge for sure. While sometimes there's no avoiding vet care, at the wrong time or for the wrong snake, I think they can lose their will to live when they're on
    that fine line & if the treatment is too aggressive. I hope you can get him on track... I'm pulling for ya!
    Unfortunately, Jekyll passed away yesterday.

After this discussion I had him treated for the parasites, and consequential dehydration/anemia, as well. He also recieved a liquid carnivore diet. He received 3 minute, measured doses of the Panacur, spaced out to every 4 days. He was active after this, he became more himself (feisty), and some of his color came back. I also provided him with brief, warm (again measured) electrolyte soaks, which he seemed to relax into. He was filled out again, not wrinkly, and started to become active again at night.

However...just prior to this, he had begun excreting an almost custardly (in substance), lime green urate when he peed (he began dr I nuking on his own again) which quickly became more prominent, and and also became extremely vibrant.

I know the parasites were treated, but it seems that treatment came too late and the parasite load did irreversible damage to his organs. After the treatment stopped he was good for around 4-5 days, then he crashed overnight, and I found him yesterday.

I understand the risks that come with imports, but it still sucks. I'll be going for a CBH next time, just to be safe.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Awesomethepossum For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (09-10-2020),Reinz (09-12-2020),richardhind1972 (09-10-2020)

Thanks

*edit, not Panacur, Flagyl.

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

Sorry to hear this

Sent from my ELS-NX9 using Tapatalk

7. The Following User Says Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

Awesomethepossum (09-10-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by richardhind1972 View Post
    Sorry to hear this

Sent from my ELS-NX9 using Tapatalk
    I appreciate the sentiments

It was rough. Snakes are so good at hiding a problem until it's too late. Importing is a gamble.

I've already spoken to a breeder, and I'll be getting in touch with them next year about getting a CBB. This'll give me more time to process through what happened and do more research. I'm still hooked on these guys, if not more than ever.

I need to thoroughly bleach his quarantine tub and everything inside (if not toss everything). But yeah, when that time comes and I bring home another one, I'll make a progression thread. I definitely learned a lot from this experience.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Awesomethepossum For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (09-10-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

bummer to hear about your critter. I'd strongly suggest listening to those podcasts I suggested a while back. They're a very high strung and advanced species in general, though CBB seem to be slightly more manageable from what I've gathered.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Awesomethepossum (09-11-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    bummer to hear about your critter. I'd strongly suggest listening to those podcasts I suggested a while back. They're a very high strung and advanced species in general, though CBB seem to be slightly more manageable from what I've gathered.
    I listened to them for sure, and I thank you for sharing them..will definitely give myself a refresher as well. There was a lot of solid info.

I had gone over my husbandry and overall approach, both on here, as well as in a WLP group on Facebook. Everyone had said the same, that he quarantibe tub looked good, and that as an import he probably had an overload of flagellates, among other things, and the typical import stress, which likely exacerbated the parasite load and weakened his resilience. It got bad overnight, no exaggeration.

What stool he had was complete liquid, urates a vibrantly, almost neon green, with an unusual consistency. He was drinking, but still appeared severely dehydrated (horizontal wrinkling, body "puckering" became suddenly very severe) despite the humidity being at 90-95% (I boosted when I thought he was going into shed a few weeks back) and 2 fresh water bowls in the tank at all time. I gave him pedialyte and an electrolyte soak for 30 minutes, this also didn't seem to help. His feistiness and intensity were gone, it was sad to see.

In the time I had him, I didn't handle him regularly, maybe once a week (if that) simply to check his body condition, get a quick weight and spot clean. No more than 10-15 minutes at a time. He was kept hidden away from all noise, other animals, with a blanket over the top to provide more security. I only fed via drop feeding. Temps and humidity were solid.

I can't say for sure what happened, but signs point to internal damage from a heavy parasite load and import stress. It spiraled downward fast.

I'm hoping that getting a CBH will be a safer bet. I just feel it removes more variables-ones that are almost inevitable with an imported WLP. I know they're more of a reclusive "do not touch" species, and I fully respect that. I need to look more into this

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Awesomethepossum For This Useful Post:

Reinz (09-12-2020),richardhind1972 (09-11-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    So sorry for your loss AP.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

Awesomethepossum (09-13-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 465 Posts
    That's terrible. Unfortunately that's the reality with WC sometimes though. Not saying you did anything wrong, but generally, it does present more challenges and decisions on how to treat them. I think going with CBB will definitely be a better option.
    Start your own dubia roach colony with Roach Rancher!

Instagram - @AliceAnaconda

0.1.0 Cat "Anna"
    -----
    1.1.0 Emerald Tree Boa "Amanda & Samantha"
    0.1.0 Merauke Scrub Python "Victoria"
    0.1.0 Titanium Reticulated Python "Alice"
    1.0.0 Eastern Indigo
    -----
    0.0.4 Alligator Snapping Turtle "Deborah"
    0.0.2 Florida Snapping Turtles
    0.0.1 Cuvier's Dwarf Caiman "Caroline"
    0.0.1 100% Het Black Dragon Asian Water Monitor
    -----
    0.0.1 Antilles Pink Toe Tarantula "Katherine"

17. The Following User Says Thank You to wnateg For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Really sorry to hear of your loss. My condolences.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789