Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,021

1 members and 3,020 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Breeding on quarantine

hello, i have tried to receive as much info on this as possible by talking to other breeders but it doesn't hurt to get additional info. If you get a couple snakes from the SAME breeder and they are on quarantine, can 2 of the snakes that are in quarantine be bred together?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Re: Breeding on quarantine

Quote Originally Posted by EHBP View Post
    hello, i have tried to receive as much info on this as possible by talking to other breeders but it doesn't hurt to get additional info. If you get a couple snakes from the SAME breeder and they are on quarantine, can 2 of the snakes that are in quarantine be bred together?
    Why would you want to? You could receive one healthy animal and one sick animal. You could also receive animals that need vet care and not apparent in the beginning. I personally would be patient and do the process to make sure your animals are healthy or even healthy enough to breed. Take your time and put the animals first.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (06-04-2020),Craiga 01453 (06-04-2020),GoingPostal (06-05-2020),Toad37 (06-04-2020)

Thanks

Breeding on quarantine

I personally wouldn’t. Even if they’re from the same breeder, if they have any issues (such as disease) it could be passed down to the babies and you wouldn’t want that.
    Not to mention if they are sick, breeding them may cause undue stress which can worsen things.

It’s really best to wait until you’ve ruled out any issues during a quarantine period before you try breeding them. The animals’ health should always be the priority.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by trnreptiles; 06-04-2020 at 03:25 PM.
    I'm a very enthusiastic young hobbyist that is excited to see what the future brings!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to trnreptiles For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (06-04-2020)

Thanks

Re: Breeding on quarantine

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrivers View Post
    Why would you want to? You could receive one healthy animal and one sick animal. You could also receive animals that need vet care and not apparent in the beginning. I personally would be patient and do the process to make sure your animals are healthy or even healthy enough to breed. Take your time and put the animals first.
    Definitely makes sense. I am definitely in no rush but i have gotten mixed answers so just wanted a little more info. I would rather clear the animals before breeding them anyways just didnt know if it was heard of to breed during quarantine if snakes came from the same breeder. Thanks guys

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Can you? sure anything can be done, the question is should you? and the answer is no I would not recommend it, this is not a race, you want to make sure that all the snakes are HEALTHY and eating for you before attempting to breed them so this will put you 3 to 6 months behind but trust me this is the right way to do things.
    Deborah Stewart

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (06-05-2020),Skyrivers (06-05-2020),trnreptiles (06-04-2020)