Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,988

3 members and 2,985 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Question Any coffee buffs in here?

Hi,

I'm one of those who regularly drinks instant coffee but, since I can't get the one I liked in the uk any more ( kenco brazillian), I was swithering on whether "good" coffee might be worth trying.

To this end I have a small hario grinder, an aeropress, a milk frother ( ) and a variety pack of beans arriving tomorrow.

And the metal filters for the aeropress arriving on monday.

Any tips or recomendations on how to proceed?

del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

LyraIsGray (05-31-2020)

Thanks
    Maybe to late but check out cold brewing your coffee. It is really easy and convenient. Once it’s brewed it last a week. All you do is mix it with some water, about 50/50 For me and a few minutes in the microwave. Plus cold brewed coffee lacks a lot of the acid that can mess my stomach up sometimes.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AzJohn For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-31-2020),dr del (05-31-2020)

Thanks

Re: Any coffee buffs in here?

I don’t drink any coffee whatsoever, but about a month if so ago I binge watched a bunch of coffee related videos from this dude with incredibly soothing voice (it’s like ASMR). His name (and the channel name as well) is James Hoffman and he covets most topics related to coffee: storing, blooming, brewing, equipment, etc.

Hope that’s helpful

His channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMb...BNi-QqPk5T3gsQ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Okay, so I know nothing about coffee, I don't drink it, I don't make it for other people, apart from occasionally putting some espresso in cake, I don't even touch it. However I do watch a lot of youtube, especially during quarantine, and one of the youtubers I binged during this month was a coffee expert. His videos cover any coffee topic imaginable: blooming, brewing, equipment, storage, you name it, he probably has it (plus he has a really soothing voice so the videos are quite enjoyable to watch as ASMR).

Anyways, the channel name is James Hoffmann, I hope this was helpful.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

I love Nescafé Gold Blend ..

We did some ‘blind’ taste tests with five different brands and this one was by far the nicest .. not cheap though at around £5.99 a jar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AzJohn View Post
    Maybe to late but check out cold brewing your coffee. It is really easy and convenient. Once it’s brewed it last a week. All you do is mix it with some water, about 50/50 For me and a few minutes in the microwave. Plus cold brewed coffee lacks a lot of the acid that can mess my stomach up sometimes.
    That’s interesting about your method reducing the acid somewhat... it reminded me of this little oddity .

::
    Essentially, the process of freezing makes it more difficult for the enzymes to break starch down into sugar.

So , if you toast the frozen bread (instead of eating it cold once it's defrosted) the GI reduces even more, resulting in the bread having a 39 per cent lower GI than its fresh equivalent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

LyraIsGray (05-31-2020)

Thanks

I love Cafe' bustelo and also Death Wish Coffee (which I order on the net) I love strong coffee though. Neither of these have an option to purchase in instant though.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Keri Mac
    1.0 Normal BP
    1.0 Deep Purple Passion BP

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts
    I like a little coffee with my cream and sugar in the morning.

I buy whatever course-ground coffee is on sale and use a French press to make my morning dose. I've thought about setting it up as cold-brew at night so I can drink it in the morning and see if I notice a difference, but I can never seem to remember.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,813 Times in 492 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dr del View Post
    I'm one of those who regularly drinks instant coffee but, since I can't get the one I liked in the uk any more ( kenco brazillian), I was swithering on whether "good" coffee might be worth trying.

To this end I have a small hario grinder, an aeropress, a milk frother ( ) and a variety pack of beans arriving tomorrow.

And the metal filters for the aeropress arriving on monday.

Any tips or recomendations on how to proceed?
    You and I are in the same boat, my friend! Good coffee is definitely worth trying. I only ever made pre-ground coffee in my super cheap coffee maker before this pandemic madness started, but I decided to get fancy when I started working from home. I have a small Hario grinder, milk frother (that I never use), and a variety of good, locality whole beans (even my coffee's locality, lol). The coffee I make now definitely has more flavor and tastes better. While I'll still drink the cheap stuff if need be, I'll probably only be making "fancy" coffee at home now.

When I was talking to the guy at the fancy coffee shop I got my stuff from, he said the best thing you can do to improve your cup of coffee is to get good, whole beans and grind them right before you make your cup. The quality and freshness of the beans you use has a much greater impact on the quality of your cup compared to the brewing method. That definitely holds true for me, considering I'm still using my super cheap coffee maker to actually brew my coffee!

While you're trying new varieties of beans, pay attention to their acidity and flavor profiles, and make note of the ones you like. You should be able to better predict if you'd like a new variety of bean this way. You may want to be wary of dark roasts while you're picking stuff out -- a bad dark roast just tastes burnt, and (according to a coffee buff colleague of mine) some roasters take their sub-par beans and roast the heck out of them to cover up their non-ideal qualities. If you find something you bought is too bitter, try adding a tiny pinch of salt to the grounds -- it helps cut the bitterness.
    0.1 Sonoran Boa sigma​: "Adelita" ('19 Hypo het. leopard)
    1.0 Boa imperator longicauda: "Kuzco" ('19 het. anery)
    0.1 West Papuan Morelia spilota​: "Pandora" ('20)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hey guys and gals

Quote Originally Posted by LyraIsGray View Post
    I don’t drink any coffee whatsoever, but about a month if so ago I binge watched a bunch of coffee related videos from this dude with incredibly soothing voice (it’s like ASMR). His name (and the channel name as well) is James Hoffman and he covets most topics related to coffee: storing, blooming, brewing, equipment, etc.

Hope that’s helpful

His channel:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have been binge-watching his youtube videos for the past few weeks while thinking of starting this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerimac View Post
    I love Cafe' bustelo and also Death Wish Coffee (which I order on the net) I love strong coffee though. Neither of these have an option to purchase in instant though.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    I have had death-wish recomended to me before but wanted to start with something lighter so I bought a variety pack ( 4x 275 ) of south american beans. I have a blend, columbian, mexican and brazilian. It's probably going to take me a few weeks to try diferent grind levels, filters and dosages to work out what I like.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongPython View Post
    You and I are in the same boat, my friend! Good coffee is definitely worth trying. I only ever made pre-ground coffee in my super cheap coffee maker before this pandemic madness started, but I decided to get fancy when I started working from home. I have a small Hario grinder, milk frother (that I never use), and a variety of good, locality whole beans (even my coffee's locality, lol). The coffee I make now definitely has more flavor and tastes better. While I'll still drink the cheap stuff if need be, I'll probably only be making "fancy" coffee at home now.

When I was talking to the guy at the fancy coffee shop I got my stuff from, he said the best thing you can do to improve your cup of coffee is to get good, whole beans and grind them right before you make your cup. The quality and freshness of the beans you use has a much greater impact on the quality of your cup compared to the brewing method. That definitely holds true for me, considering I'm still using my super cheap coffee maker to actually brew my coffee!

While you're trying new varieties of beans, pay attention to their acidity and flavor profiles, and make note of the ones you like. You should be able to better predict if you'd like a new variety of bean this way. You may want to be wary of dark roasts while you're picking stuff out -- a bad dark roast just tastes burnt, and (according to a coffee buff colleague of mine) some roasters take their sub-par beans and roast the heck out of them to cover up their non-ideal qualities. If you find something you bought is too bitter, try adding a tiny pinch of salt to the grounds -- it helps cut the bitterness.
    Good tips! Once I have my palette dialed in I was thinking of trying an ethiopian but I could only find them in kilo bags which was a bit more of a commitment than I felt I was ready for.

del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast