Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,110

3 members and 3,107 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Seems health but not eating and constantly trying to escape

Am i doing something wrong and if so what?

2 year old male. He always ate anything between once a week or once a month....but recently has gone probably 2 months without eating. We feed him thawed frozen mice and like i said he always ate pretty good until recently.

Also recently he has been VERY active every night and has no interest in food but seems to be constantly probing all the edges of the encloser along the door like he's trying to escape. In fact he did manage to get out twice in the last month....once from flaw in the enclosure and once from stupid me forgot to latch the door....
    He has a very healthy shed about 2 weeks ago and he look health....if maybe a little thin.

Should i be worried? What do i need to look for for digns that the not eating is a real problem?

Is there something i might be doing wrong that is making him seem like he'd really rather be somewhere other than his enclosure?

Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,484 Times in 2,683 Posts

Re: Seems health but not eating and constantly trying to escape

If your temps are dialed in and he's not losing much weight I wouldn't be too concerned. Keep offering food every 2 weeks and hopefully he'll start eating again soon. Two months really isn't a very long fast, especially for a BP.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

Thanks
    What exactly would dialed in temps be?

I'm using a 100 watt ceramic overhead heater attached to a thermostat. For humidity i I'm using a standard ultrasonic cool mist humidifier with a timer to turn it off and on periodically. I only have a thermometer on the "cool side" which is also where the humdifier pipe is. The temp varies between about 75f and 98f on the cool side fluctuating with the cycling of the humidifier. The humidity varies between about 45% and 98% again with the cyclung of the humidifier.
    The heat lamp thermostat on the hot side is set to about 90f and the thermostat is turning off and on during the day.

The encloser is a custom setup, about 4ft wide by 1.5ft derp by 2ft tall. The one long side as a glass front to allow viewing.

He has one relatively small hide that we has always favored since he was a baby and still prefers to jam himslf into. There are several cork hollow logs and some natural flat rocks propped up from the floor enough to provide alternative "hides" which he very occassionally uses.

Substrate is finely chopped cedar wood litter.

The goal for the encloser is first the health and happiness of the snake but its also a focal point piece of furniture/decoration in the room...so i want to achieve both goals if possible.

Sorry for all the detail...but i want to make sure i'm doing right by the snake.... he has seemed very healthy for the last 2 years and the constant activity every night is a new behavior so i'm concerned that it might indicate i'm now doing something wrong.

Thanks again
    Last edited by tommalia; 05-30-2020 at 11:48 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Seems health but not eating and constantly trying to escape

Temp should not exceed 90°. Hopefully you mean cypress instead of cedar? If you did correctly mean cedar it is toxic to reptiles. If so, get it out of the enclosure and clean it thoroughly immediately

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jmcrook; 05-31-2020 at 12:27 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (05-31-2020)

Thanks
    Thanks.. yes cypress sorry.

Thanks.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    What size mice are you feeding? How many per feeding?At two years old he should have outgrown mice long ago and been on rats.