Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,086

1 members and 2,085 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Can one ball python come off quarantine if another isnt cleared?

Good morning everyone!

I have 3 ball pythons in quarantine right now (all from the same breeder). One of my adult females and my juvenile male have been doing very good in the first month and half or so. They have eaten 4 or 5 consecutive meals each, pooping and no signs of RI or mites. However, my other adult female black pastel has only eaten once in the same timeframe and that was a week before she shed. After the shed, I noticed SOME of her poop was a caramel color and sort of slimy/runny. I haven't noticed anything irregular except for what I just mentioned.

My question is that if my other 2 snakes continue to excel, can they come off quarantine even if the other female isn't cleared yet? I know there is still time for her to come to her senses but I was just curious on how I should play this out. I have 2 more BP's coming in 2 months so I need to make space in the QT rack.

Thanks,
    Evan

Thanks

Re: Can one ball python come off quarantine if another isnt cleared?

If you have all the qt animals in the same room, or in the same rack in your case. U shouldn't move anyone until they're all clear. If that one female has something wrong it could have passed to the other 2 snakes especially since you're quarantining them in the same rack.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toad37 For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (05-30-2020),Craiga 01453 (05-30-2020)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Every time you add a snake into quarantine with other animals already in quarantine your quarantine reset to 0

So if animal #1 is at 30 days and you add a new one and you usually quarantine for 90 days #1 cannot leave in 60 days but 90 at the same time than #2
    Deborah Stewart

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (05-31-2020),dr del (05-31-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart_Reptiles View Post
    Every time you add a snake into quarantine with other animals already in quarantine your quarantine reset to 0

So if animal #1 is at 30 days and you add a new one and you usually quarantine for 90 days #1 cannot leave in 60 days but 90 at the same time than #2
    Ok cool! I get that part but I was asking if 2 of the 3 snakes are due to come off quarantine, can they both come off while the other one stays behind to get cleared? it would make more sense to clear them all at one time because if I clear 2 of them, and the one that was left behind has something going on, I now just brought the 2 newbies into my main collection with a pretty good chance of retaining whatever the other one had.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by EHBP View Post
    Ok cool! I get that part but I was asking if 2 of the 3 snakes are due to come off quarantine
    Does not matter if it is 1 two or more snakes, they can only all come out of quarantine when the very last one added to quarantine is cleared to leave quarantine, so again if you have 1, 2 or more snake in QT for let's say 79 days and on day 80 you add another snake to QT, it becomes day 1 of QT for EVERYONE.
    Deborah Stewart

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (06-03-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart_Reptiles View Post
    Does not matter if it is 1 two or more snakes, they can only all come out of quarantine when the very last one added to quarantine is cleared to leave quarantine, so again if you have 1, 2 or more snake in QT for let's say 79 days and on day 80 you add another snake to QT, it becomes day 1 of QT for EVERYONE.

Ok cool! Thanks for the info. So far I haven’t noticed anything odd about the new additions. No mites, signs of RI. 2 of the snakes (0.1 1900g and 1.0 400g) that haven’t skipped a meal. They’re very good eaters! My 0.1 black pastel (1200g) however has only eaten once in about 5 weeks. She was on live before I got her and she has since only accepted one f/t. (Haven’t tried live yet because I don’t want to give in). She hasn’t lost much weight at all. We all know ball pythons can reface eating for a while especially if they have been fed live their whole life. Would I have to keep her on quarantine if she doesn’t eat? Should I try live rat just to get her to eat? Thanks for your time!