Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 588

1 members and 587 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
    Thanks

Tub Size Question

OK, quick question: I'm looking into getting racks for breeding mice, rats, and ASF for feeders with my own collection as well as selling to the pet store I work at (we're trying to step away from breeding mills as much as possible as I mentioned in a previous thread, including breeding hamsters...but those aren't gonna be bred in racks). I'm wanting to buy racks for the feeders, but I'm confused on tub sizes.

What are the appropriate sizes for them? And what's the appropriate colony size; like, how many total breeders per tub?
    Last edited by Hi I am Snek; 05-30-2020 at 10:03 AM.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Tub Size Question

Quote Originally Posted by Hi I am Snek View Post
    OK, quick question: I'm looking into getting racks for breeding mice, rats, and ASF for feeders with my own collection as well as selling to the pet store I work at (we're trying to step away from breeding mills as much as possible as I mentioned in a previous thread, including breeding hamsters...but those aren't gonna be bred in racks). I'm wanting to buy racks for the feeders, but I'm confused on tub sizes.

What are the appropriate sizes for them? And what's the appropriate colony size; like, how many total breeders per tub?
    For rats you are looking at concrete mixing tubs about 5 to 6 inches high which will work with ASF as well, for mice, and similar size rodents you are looking at smaller cat litter pans if you are building your own racks about 3 inches high.

Now for the top and hardware cloth for rats it will be 1/2 inch but it will have to be 1/4 of an inch for ASF, mice, hamster etc otherwise the babies will squeeze in and escape.
    Deborah Stewart

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Hi I am Snek (05-31-2020)

Thanks

Thanks for all the info! Though I'm not good with DIY and am looking to buy one. The tub sizes from places I was looking at were confusing to me; I was looking at both Freedom Breeder and Vision Cages on their rodent racks and didn't know what sizes would be appropriate for the different rodents. With the hamsters I was thinking of doing bin set-ups I've seen on YouTube cuz simple DIY is all I'm really confident I know how to do well...cuz that's literally just cutting a big hole in the lid, replacing it with a hard wire, and using zip ties to hold the wire in place lol
    Last edited by Hi I am Snek; 05-31-2020 at 07:51 PM.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hi I am Snek View Post
    Thanks for all the info! Though I'm not good with DIY and am looking to buy one. The tub sizes from places I was looking at were confusing to me; I was looking at both Freedom Breeder and Vision Cages on their rodent racks and didn't know what sizes would be appropriate for the different rodents. With the hamsters I was thinking of doing bin set-ups I've seen on YouTube cuz simple DIY is all I'm really confident I know how to do well...cuz that's literally just cutting a big hole in the lid, replacing it with a hard wire, and using zip ties to hold the wire in place lol
    I have a freedom breeder rack for my mice the tubs I use are 1050 and this is the rack https://www.freedombreeder.com/product/rodent-105 , for rats this is https://www.freedombreeder.com/product/rodent-721-80 what you want as a minimum since the tubs are the closest to the foot print of a concrete mixing tub and will allow you to run 1.2 to 1.4
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 06-01-2020 at 12:22 PM.
    Deborah Stewart