Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,854

1 members and 2,853 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

How often you throw out the substrate and clean the tub?

Thinking of switching from paper to ReptilePrime. https://reptileprime.com/products/re...oconut-bedding
    With paper every pips you need hard cleaning of the dirty tubs. Want to minimize cleaning times.
    Yes its VASTLY more expensive than paper but the work is much less (or is it?)!
    The question is how much less work we are going to do? How often (people who use ReptilePrime) fully clean the tub and replace the whole substrate? Also, when its pee only it absorbe it well. The question is it ok to leave the snake at such substrate (with absorbed pee many times)?

Any on topic help is appreciated!

Thanks
    IMO it is never okay to leave any kind of soiled substrate in the enclosure unless you have a bioactive enclosure designed to handle the waste. Paper towel and newspaper are the easiest substrates to clean and replace if you want ease of cleaning. Snake urine is acidic and leaving it in the enclosure where they can lie or slither on it will lead to scale rot and a proliferation of bacteria and bad smells in the tub.

For deep cleaning a tub with any substrate, I would say every 1-2 months ideally, of course with spot cleaning every time the snake produces any kind of waste.
    Last edited by Luvyna; 05-29-2020 at 10:08 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Luvyna For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (05-29-2020)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As needed, yes it will absorb urine and can be spot cleaned when it comes to feces however even than ammonia will build up which means it will have to be cleaned up, to it all comes down to the species you keep and their size and how much they urinate (I prefer coco husk for smaller species for BP and bigger species I prefer Coco chips)
    BTW there are similar options that are significantly cheaper, but there will be a little prep, the high price comes from the fact that it is prepped for you and the name on the bag.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Re: How often you throw out the substrate and clean the tub?

On BP how often on average you clean with a non paper substrate?
    Also what is the cheap option?
    Last edited by qwerty53; 05-29-2020 at 12:30 PM.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The equivalent of Reptile Prime is any type of coconut husk from Pro Coco to Bed a Beast which comes in bricks you have to break in water and than let dry some to completely spending on the species you use it with.

With BP like I said it depends it can be from every two weeks to every 2 months depending on the animal enclosure size etc.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Re: How often you throw out the substrate and clean the tub?

Paper is probably your cheapest option. However I think aspen is a good medium for your problem. It’s one of the cheapest substrates. However aspen will smell a lot stronger than coco husk. This can be good and bad. The smell helps indicate that you’ll either need to spot clean or deep clean, but the bad part is that it doesn’t smell all that pleasant. As well with aspen, I’d recommend replacing the substrate completely every month maximum. Aspen can Mold a lot sooner than coco husk. But as long as you are cleaning that way you should, aspen works great