Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,952

1 members and 2,951 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Rubbing certain textures

So this might be a silly question, but does anyone's ball python have a thing about textures? My firefly male seems to have certain textures that he really enjoys. Examples..

He'll wrap himself around my friend's neck, turn sideways and rub his side along the stubble of his beard

One time while cruising on my bed, I was doing laundry and laid down a silk pillowcase. He made a beeline for it, and when he got inside it he again turned his body sideways and started rubbing all along it. If I present a different pillowcase, he doesn't seem to notice it, but he'll go for the silk one every time.

He does the same thing on one of my rugby jerseys if I'm wearing it while handling him

He 100% does not have mites, and it happens whether he's recently shed or not (and on both smooth and rough surfaces). It also happens when he's on solid ground and when being handled, so I'm not sure its a stability concern of his. Could this be a behaviour thing or am I reading too much into this? It seems pretty adorable honestly, but I'd hate for it to be a sign of something serious

Thanks

Re: Rubbing certain textures

Quote Originally Posted by Mrr View Post
    So this might be a silly question, but does anyone's ball python have a thing about textures? My firefly male seems to have certain textures that he really enjoys. Examples..

He'll wrap himself around my friend's neck, turn sideways and rub his side along the stubble of his beard

One time while cruising on my bed, I was doing laundry and laid down a silk pillowcase. He made a beeline for it, and when he got inside it he again turned his body sideways and started rubbing all along it. If I present a different pillowcase, he doesn't seem to notice it, but he'll go for the silk one every time.

He does the same thing on one of my rugby jerseys if I'm wearing it while handling him

He 100% does not have mites, and it happens whether he's recently shed or not (and on both smooth and rough surfaces). It also happens when he's on solid ground and when being handled, so I'm not sure its a stability concern of his. Could this be a behaviour thing or am I reading too much into this? It seems pretty adorable honestly, but I'd hate for it to be a sign of something serious
    Our Banana loves my boyfriend's arm hair (he has very hairy arms ). We noticed he tries to stay directly on the arm so his whole body can touch it!
    /chris

---
    0.1 Catahoula Leopard Dog / Zooey
    ---
    1.0 Leopard Gecko / Leonard
    ---
    1.0 Normal Ball Python / Edward
    1.0 Banana Ball Python / Bartholomew
    1.0 Blue Eyed Leucistic Ball Python / Alfredo

Thanks
    Interesting that you mentioned the silk, a while ago I accidentally discovered that my BP appears to love silk as well due to his interest in a silk shirt my mom made. He was very attracted to it and would smell it and crawl all over and inside it, and even if you placed the shirt a distance away from him, he would slither over to it and start climbing on it and smelling it. It was actually pretty funny since he would always go to the silk no matter where we put it. We tested other articles of silk like some pyjamas and a scarf as well, and he was super interested in them too. He doesn't behave like this with other fabrics so I wonder if there is something about the smell or feel of silk they like? I can totally believe that snakes have preferences or dislikes for certain textures.

My BP also has a great disdain for paper towel. He hates touching it and if I use it for substrate he will try to have as little of his body in contact with it as possible.
    Last edited by Luvyna; 05-29-2020 at 10:39 AM.