Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,144

0 members and 3,144 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

PeTA Being Controversial (What's New?)

So...
    https://www.peta.org/living/animal-c...es-never-pets/
    New PeTA article titled "5 Reasons NEVER to Buy a Snake"

Just skimming over this and the ignorance is unreal - what're your thoughts on this?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to kthoms104 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-29-2020)

Registered User Reptile$ 4 Life's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: PeTA Being Controversial (What's New?)

Yeah I've seen this site before. It would appear that they decided to group the entire industry in with a couple bad breeders. Sadly, those few breeders could've given them something to write about, which reflects poorly on the reptile community as a whole. I don't get the argument about the captivity thing; it could literally be used for any animal. Also buying rodents isn't just for reptiles, birds of prey eat a lot of rodents, and probably 80% of snakes are feed f/t. As a whole I very much dislike this article since the author very obviously didn't do his/her research.

I believe that if you are an owner of reptiles, you have an obligation to help better this misunderstood community. That's one reason I really want to work in a pet store. If I can help people have great experiences with their reptile, because I showed them the proper items to get, then our community benefits and we don't get the 75% of them die shoved in our faces.
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (Flicker)
    1.2 Southern Alligator Liazrds (Wraith, Magma & Annie)
    0.1 Western Skink (Stella)
    1.1 Leopard Geckos (Leo & Jade)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Reptile$ 4 Life For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-29-2020)

Thanks

Exactly - I was surprised this article was even allowed on their website (previously, I thought they were fairly reputable )

The one I found extremely ridiculous was about how they eat mice. Like yeah... that's how nature works. Predators need prey to survive lol
    Also, the story at the introduction of the article is just plain dumb. The owner she talks about is clearly completely negligent and didn't take the measures to properly house a large snake, and so it escaped. How can that be blamed on the snake?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    "Well, I slept with one eye open until Bruno was found—weeks later, emaciated and dead, behind the dryers in the apartment building’s laundry room."

Emaciated after weeks? That doesn't sound right. Then if they would have just asked us for help we could have pointed them toward warm electronics.

"Snakes require spectrum lighting and precise diets."

That's news to me. Glad they let me know.

"Snakes eat rabbits, mice, and crickets, animals you’ll have to purchase at a pet store, further bolstering the industry."

Crickets? They're worried about crickets. Wow! Cricket Lives Matter!

"Rather than exploring lush jungles and swamps and experiencing all the sensory pleasures that they’re so keenly attuned to, captive snakes are relegated to aquariums in which they can’t even stretch out to full length, much less move around or climb."

Guess this depends on the keeper. Mine certainly have room to move and several have places to climb.....those that care to anyway. It must be terrible to live in a climate controlled enclosure with no predators while getting hot rodents delivered like room service.

"found that at least 75 percent of pet snakes, lizards, tortoises, and turtles die within one year in a human home. It’s believed that most of these newly acquired animals die from stress related to captivity."

Well I must be doing something right.

"Most snakes end up being ignored and neglected in dark basements or garages. And many are simply tossed outside like trash, left to starve or die of exposure or predation—and those who survive may wreak havoc on local ecosystems."

Sure I believe that. I'm sure they did an in-depth investigation. I don't have a basement and my garage is full with a truck, boat, and two motorcycles. Guess my collection of snakes will have to stay in their heated snake room. Poor things.

I was going to get them to send me a vegan starter pack but the two pigs above the icon reminded me of bacon and made me hungry. That's just bad placement, IMHO.

Overall I think Peta is stupid.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-29-2020),Craiga 01453 (05-29-2020),Reinz (05-29-2020)

Thanks

Hahah, you've just pointed out every time the article made me cringe.
    Especially the "emaciated after weeks" and "crickets" comments. It makes me feel like the author either didn't do any research, or like she was coming up with things on the fly. Unless the owner of the snake hadn't been feeding it, I don't think it would've starved to death in weeks :/

9. The Following User Says Thank You to kthoms104 For This Useful Post:

KMG (05-29-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts
    PETA has a longstanding policy against keeping any animal as a pet and they reiterated it just a few weeks ago.
    https://www.peta.org/about-peta/why-peta/pets/

PETA is not an animal welfare organization and never has been but they market themselves as one so the ignorant support them. The same goes for HSUS.

PETA also runs one of the highest kill-rate animal shelters in Virginia.
    Last edited by bcr229; 05-29-2020 at 10:54 AM.

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (05-29-2020),Bogertophis (05-29-2020),Craiga 01453 (05-29-2020),jmcrook (05-29-2020),MissterDog (05-29-2020),Reinz (05-29-2020)

Registered User Reptile$ 4 Life's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    PETA has a longstanding policy against keeping any animal as a pet and they reiterated it just a few weeks ago.
    https://www.peta.org/about-peta/why-peta/pets/

PETA is not an animal welfare organization and never has been but they market themselves as one so the ignorant support them. The same goes for HSUS.

PETA also runs one of the highest kill-rate animal shelters in Virginia.
    Well that's ironic on two levels. One the author owns a dog, and PETA runs a high kill-rate shelter.
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (Flicker)
    1.2 Southern Alligator Liazrds (Wraith, Magma & Annie)
    0.1 Western Skink (Stella)
    1.1 Leopard Geckos (Leo & Jade)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    PETA is a money making machine with top executives making millions animal welfare is not what they are in business for, and the supporters/members probably have a good heart and truly want to make a difference and save animals, however they are naive, taken advantage off and mislead in thinking this is what they are doing, the reality of it is very different.

Bottom line https://petakillsanimals.com/
    Deborah Stewart

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-29-2020)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Any person that kills healthy, adoptable pets because of his or her ignorant believe that they are better off dead than going to a happy forever home should go jump off a cliff. Disgusting group of crazy people.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-29-2020)

Thanks

I had no idea about the kill shelter in Virginia! Unbelievable

What kinda hypocrisy ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast