Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,867

0 members and 2,867 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks

Re: Humidity, and bad sheds.

It’s just very stressful to me, like I want to nail it perfectly but I just feel that I’m just not cut out for it sometimes. And since I struggle with my mental health it just makes things way harder for me stress wise and etc. I truly want my snake to live the best life he possibly can as I love him very much. But it’s just really difficult for me to do 100%, as he’s my first pet.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to TheReptileCyka For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-28-2020)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheReptileCyka View Post
    It’s just very stressful to me, like I want to nail it perfectly but I just feel that I’m just not cut out for it sometimes. And since I struggle with my mental health it just makes things way harder for me stress wise and etc. I truly want my snake to live the best life he possibly can as I love him very much. But it’s just really difficult for me to do 100%, as he’s my first pet.
    Keep your chin up. You're doing just fine and now making improvements. Only you know if you're not cut out for it, but I think you're doing fine and on your way to being a great snake parent. Don't give up yet, unless you feel it's the only choice. But I think you're selling yourself short. You're currently putting in tons of effort and taking steps to make improvements. That's what good keepers do.

I also suffer from mental health issues. I've been struggling lately, quite a bit (currently working with my drs to find the right balance of meds and therapy. Not fun, but I can see light at the end of the tunnel). But my snakes are my serenity. They bring me peace. And I promise, once you have everything dialed in it gets a LOT easier. My snakes actually help tremendously with my mental health.

I hope you don't get too discouraged, you're so close!!! And once you're there it's so much easier.

Feel free to PM me with any questions. You seem like a good person, who truly cares about their pet. So I'll be happy to help you out if I can.

Keep up the good work, you'll get there...and soon.
    Last edited by Craiga 01453; 05-28-2020 at 05:07 PM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

christineho (05-28-2020),EL-Ziggy (05-28-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

You didn't exactly start with an easy "first pet"...so keep that in mind too. Don't beat yourself up, it sounds to me like you've almost got this dialed in, & it sure helps to know that for this species, normal sheds often resemble an "explosion", lol. I have lots of snake experience but none with any kind of retic, so I couldn't have told you that either.
    Your good intentions speaks volumes about you. And no one's perfect all the time.

As far as the vet goes, check out his actual credentials (degrees & any advanced training)...most have them framed up on their wall somewhere, but they shouldn't be shy when asked about it.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-28-2020 at 05:06 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

christineho (05-28-2020),Craiga 01453 (05-28-2020),RickyNY (05-28-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    You didn't exactly start with an easy "first pet"...
    Nope. I’ve kept snakes for close to 25yrs and my two retics were the most challenging, expensive, and stressful animals I’ve ever kept. Never again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-28-2020),Craiga 01453 (05-28-2020)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    Nope. I’ve kept snakes for close to 25yrs and my two retics were the most challenging, expensive, and stressful animals I’ve ever kept. Never again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I've got over 15 years of snake keeping experience and started out about 21 years ago. Took a few years off. But I consider myself to be "experienced" and I personally haven't added a retic to the family and don't plan to.

Like the others said,a retic isn't an easy species, let alone for a fish time snake keeper. But that being said, you're still SOOOOO close. A retic wouldn't be my first choice, but they are awesome animals.

Keep doing what you're doing. Keep up the research and you'll be good to go.

And your next snake (cause one is never enough, hahahaha) will be a breeze for you. Well, most species anyway.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-28-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    I've kept lotsa snakes of many (not all) kinds for 35 years now...time flies when you're having fun. I've had my share of challenging snakes (including some hots
    for 20 years, & harmless lizard-eating longnose snakes that I've converted successfully to a diet of mice, also a very "hostile" -frightened!- & unwanted BCI that became
    my sweet reliable pet with NO bites since she moved in with me) but no retics.

Keep in mind that when I got into snakes, there weren't forums to ask or much in the way of good books for reference. Whatever we choose to take on, we do our best
    to research what is known, then bring our own powers of observation & common sense & whatever snake experience we have to the "table" & go from there. It all gets
    easier with experience, & the whole reason for sharing our experience is so that the snakes get better care & those keeping them don't have to "re-invent the wheel".
    There's always plenty more to learn anyway. Welcome...& fair warning, these things are habit-forming!
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    For me I just really like big snakes you know? Maybe I shouldn’t have picked a retic because it’s super expensive and just all around stressful. But he’s literally a great snake in terms of personality, he’s so sweet and I’ve never had a problem with his temperament.

Banned
    Thanks

For me I just really like big snakes you know? Maybe I shouldn’t have picked a retic because it’s super expensive and just all around stressful. But he’s literally a great snake in terms of personality, he’s so sweet and I’ve never had a problem with his temperament.
    See, we're here to help you over this little speed bump!!

You're on the right track, keep up the good work

Thanks
    Thank you all very much,

I was convinced if I came on this forum that I’d be ridiculed and hated. But apparently not, I was actually pretty welcomed here. Like I was convinced this morning I’d get loaded with people saying I’m a terrible person and etc etc. But I was actually in for a pleasant surprise! =)

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheReptileCyka For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-28-2020),Craiga 01453 (05-28-2020)

Banned
    Thanks

Thank you all very much,

I was convinced if I came on this forum that I’d be ridiculed and hated. But apparently not, I was actually pretty welcomed here. Like I was convinced this morning I’d get loaded with people saying I’m a terrible person and etc etc. But I was actually in for a pleasant surprise! =)
    That's AWESOME to hear!!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123