Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,012

2 members and 3,010 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Re: New Cat ~ How Will it Affect My Ball Python?

Quote Originally Posted by kthoms104 View Post
    Ah, thank you guys so much for all your responses! A couple of things...

My tank is a forty gallon breeder, which I can barely move on my own, so the cat tipping the tank over is pretty much out of the realm of possibility.
    Also, the lid is secured with clasps on either side - which I'm considering doubling up on so that there's two per side. That may be a bit overdoing it, but I'd really like to be safe with this

As of now, I'm allowing the cat into my room with me, but not alone. To this end, my main concern is smell - will the cat's smell stress my ball python out a great deal? Previously, I had a pit bull who slept in my room every night and the snake seemed to do just fine with that scent, but I don't know if possibly a cat's scent is more severe or what...
    I wouldn't worry about the scent. My snakes shared a room with ferrets before my crew outgrew that room and I had a dedicated snake room.

If the snake can be locked in a separate room while you're away or sleeping I think you should be fine. I wouldn't let the cat in the room with the snake unattended though. My cats will occasionally take a quick peek and sniff in the snake room when I first open the door, but the enclosures are all closed and I don't let them more than a few inches in. Then they're locked out while I'm in there.

So I'm definitely not saying you can't keep both without issue, but it's always best to play it safe. If you can keep them seperated while you're sleeping and away you shouldn't have any problems.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-29-2020),kthoms104 (05-28-2020)

Thanks

Re: New Cat ~ How Will it Affect My Ball Python?

Alright! Thank you so much!
    I'm definitely going to do everything I can to be careful - I'm definitely going to have to introduce her scent slowly because my snake is already a picky eater. Otherwise, I'm going to keep her out of the room unless I'm with her

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12