Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,859

2 members and 2,857 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

New Cat ~ How Will it Affect My Ball Python?

So... I may have broken down and gotten another pet.
    In my defense, I'd been watching this cat outside for a few days. She didn't have a collar or microchip, nor did it seem she was being fed or taken care of, but she was extremely friendly and returned to my house every night for a small bowl of cat food that I left out.

Finally, I just gave her some flee medicine and let her come inside.
    She's been wandering around the house and getting a feel for where she is, but having just introduced her, I'm not sure how my ball python will feel about all the new smells.

In your experience, will he get used to this?

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Is the BP in a seperate room where the cat can't get to the snake?

If not, you have a decision to make. Snakes and cats don't mix.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-28-2020),christineho (05-28-2020),jmcrook (05-28-2020),Sonny1318 (05-29-2020),vivi (05-28-2020)

Thanks

Re: New Cat ~ How Will it Affect My Ball Python?

It really depends on the cat. My cat liked the snakes, I couldnt kept him out of the snake room, when I went in. He just wanted to see whats happening. Liked to sit down and watch the snakes move around. My ball pythons didnt care with the cat at all. My carpets looked him with interest, but nothing hostile. I kept these snakes and cat before in an apartment freely. The cat never tried to open the enclosures. The personality of cats is so different. Im sure there are some, which try to hunt down a snake. My cat was a ragdoll, they are so tame. You have to get to know this cat more. Just watch how he behaves and reacts. I would put the snake in a separate room if possible, and never leave them together without supervision, at least until you get to know the cat and trust him.

Tapatalkkal küldve az én Nokia 6.1 eszközömről
    0.1 piebald 0.1 ultramel 0.1 butter pastel 66% het ultramel
    0.1 ragdoll

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Kerol For This Useful Post:

Reinz (05-28-2020)

Banned
    Thanks
    I have to disagree with the above post. If the snake isn't in a seperate room who knows what the cat is doing while you're not home, or asleep. The cat could be causing unnecessary and unfair stress to the snake. Not to mention one mistake could turn real ugly. Forget to close the snake enclosure one night and you may wake up to a bloody mess. Maybe the cat figures out how to move clips or turn a knob to open the enclosure? Not anything I'd want on my conscience when it could have very easily been avoided.

While the above poster may have gotten lucky, I find it irresponsible to share such info as safe.

If you can't keep them seperated, they should not be together. We have to think about the animals first as pet keepers.

Cats and snakes don't mix. Bottom line.
    Last edited by Craiga 01453; 05-28-2020 at 04:34 PM.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-28-2020),GoingPostal (05-28-2020),Sonny1318 (05-29-2020)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Have a secure enclosure with locks. A PVC cage that has all sides covered and front opening plus locks is a good example.

Cats are curious by nature, unless they had been raised to kill and eat prey. Cats can kill snakes with ease, if not seriously maim them. But they are triggered a lot by sound and movement. Covering the tank with a towel so your cat can't see the snake, it will probably leave it alone. If you can find a way to keep the snake securely locked, and the cat can't reach it, it can work.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesenugget View Post
    , it can work.
    Sure, it can work. But since the snake is already established why risk it? It's our responsibility to keep our animals safe. Bringing in another animal like a cat is irresponsible unless the snake is in a secure room the cat can't get to.

Telling people otherwise is irresponsible. How would you feel if the snake got mangled by the cat after you said it was ok?
    I'm guessing not good. So why encourage it???

If you don't have room in your house for all the pets to be safe, don't bring them in.
    Last edited by Craiga 01453; 05-28-2020 at 05:16 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    Cats are predators...snakes are predators too, but not all are created equal. Your BP is NO match for a cat...therefore, it's up to you to make SURE your snake is safe
    from the cat.

You didn't mention what kind of enclosure your snake is in: there have been cases where cats have knocked over snake cages to get to them. Even IF they cannot get in,
    & the snake survives the crash unharmed, the stress is not fair to your snake. Some cats have jumped onto screen tops & broken thru to the pets inside. It's up to YOU
    to keep your snake (& any other pets) 100% SAFE from this cat or any other pets you take on in the future. If you cannot, then do the right thing & decide which ONE to
    keep & re-home the other before something bad happens.

Cats are not stupid...they may pretend not to care about other animals as long as you're home, but the mischief begins when you're gone or asleep. Don't be fooled...
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Bodie (05-28-2020),Craiga 01453 (05-28-2020),Sonny1318 (05-29-2020)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bogertophis View Post
    cats are predators...snakes are predators too, but not all are created equal. Your bp is no match for a cat...therefore, it's up to you to make sure your snake is safe
    from the cat.

You didn't mention what kind of enclosure your snake is in: There have been cases where cats have knocked over snake cages to get to them. Even if they cannot get in,
    & the snake survives the crash unharmed, the stress is not fair to your snake. Some cats have jumped onto screen tops & broken thru to the pets inside. it's up to you
    to keep your snake (& any other pets) 100% safe from this cat or any other pets you take on in the future. If you cannot, then do the right thing & decide which one to
    keep & re-home the other before something bad happens.

Cats are not stupid...they may pretend not to care about other animals as long as you're home, but the mischief begins when you're gone or asleep. Don't be fooled...
    ^^^^ bingo ^^^^
    Last edited by Craiga 01453; 05-28-2020 at 06:11 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts

New Cat ~ How Will it Affect My Ball Python?

First off, I have a closed snake room.

When I had a cat, a big one, it always wanted inside that room because the door was closed. When I went in she always managed to weasel in. I kept an eye out and had no problems.

However, just to be on the safe side; for my glass tanks with screen tops, I cluttered those tops with lightweight junk. That way the cat never tried to jump up and sit on the screen. My only worry was if the cat fell through the screen and hurt the snakes and herself while I stepped out to clean water bowls.

All of my my snakes were adults or sub adults, so I didn’t have to worry about the cat wanting to play them until they are dead- like cats love to do with smaller animals.

After coming in with me to check out the snakes 4-5 times, she lost interest and rarely went in anymore.

Marbles- R.I.P.
    Last edited by Reinz; 05-28-2020 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Typing
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (05-28-2020),Sonny1318 (05-29-2020)

Thanks

Ah, thank you guys so much for all your responses! A couple of things...

My tank is a forty gallon breeder, which I can barely move on my own, so the cat tipping the tank over is pretty much out of the realm of possibility.
    Also, the lid is secured with clasps on either side - which I'm considering doubling up on so that there's two per side. That may be a bit overdoing it, but I'd really like to be safe with this

As of now, I'm allowing the cat into my room with me, but not alone. To this end, my main concern is smell - will the cat's smell stress my ball python out a great deal? Previously, I had a pit bull who slept in my room every night and the snake seemed to do just fine with that scent, but I don't know if possibly a cat's scent is more severe or what...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast