Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,979

1 members and 2,978 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Newbie to forum, relative newbie to BP's

Hello people of the cyber world,

So here I am, embarking on a mission to expand my knowledge through those with real life experiences.

Myself and my family are very much animal lovers. The kids have been brought up around dogs, and as they've grown (particularly the oldest), so has our non-human family too!

Our current tribe consists of two dogs, a cat (the newest addition), a leopard gecko (currently poorly but being treated) and two ball pythons.

Our oldest BP is a chocolate, a.k.a Groot, who is somewhere just over 3 years old now.
    I don't know how to tell he's a chocolate, but I'm told he is. The reptile shop he came from is well thought of in these parts and the owner is a genuine reptile enthusiast, especially for BP's (Amazonia Exotics, Swansea, UK).
    But, on the other side of the coin, I wouldn't care if he is or isn't. He's an absolute darling and has seeded my growing enthusiasm for royals.

Groot came about as our eldest wanted a BP. She kept on and on for months and months. She did research and essentially drafted up sort of an assignment on good husbandry. After such a time of her not letting up, we made an agreement that if she can save up her own money (pocket money from chores) for the purchase, we would consider it from there...

We've not looked back since the day he arrived. He is so gentle and inquisitive once out. I vouch for him being the perfect example for anyone who has a phobia or general dislike of snakes. His only flaw (for us) is he's a bleeding picky eater. Seems where I get his rats from matters. We've had a few 8 week spells with him, but I've heard many people have had much much longer (circa. 12 months).

Our second royal is an Enchi Pinstripe, a.k.a Pretzel. Absolutely stunning in my opinion. An eye catcher post shed and adored by me. Not adored so much by my other half though. When she was still on pinkies, and whilst being held by the other half, no food in sight, she struck and latched onto.... My misses' arm pit!!!

But I still love her. She is quite clumsy and have seen her strike the floor when the rat is right in front of her, more than once. Fantastic eater and has only ever missed one meal.

At almost two years old now, I'm hoping she'll soon be mature enough to consider being mated with Groot. And this consideration had led me here.

As I started with, I'm hoping to learn from those with experience. I have no intention of making this a profitable conquest but rather a development and next step in my interest and enthusiasm for royals.

So there we are. Really long introduction, entire life story and hopefully will get more familiar with you as time goes on...

Thanks for reading,

Bleh.
    Last edited by Bleh; 05-28-2020 at 08:05 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Personally, I'd suggest waiting until Pretzel is at LEAST 4 years old before trying to mate her with Groot.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Re: Newbie to forum, relative newbie to BP's

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Personally, I'd suggest waiting until Pretzel is at LEAST 4 years old before trying to mate her with Groot.
    Exactly the content I'm here for. I've read several different opinions but the welfare of my animals are my priority in looking after them!

Been busy last night since I signed up and this morning since being validated, but I have no doubts there is masses of information form experienced keepers here on this forum.