Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,681

3 members and 2,678 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Menelas (42)

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
    Thanks

Exclamation New BP owner could use some help!

Hey everyone! I'm new to all of this. I just got my new male baby BP today from XYZ reptiles. I've done tons of research but I still have some questions and problems. First I'll tell you what his enclosure set-up is:

He's in a 20 gallon glass tank with screen top.
    Heating pad on left side. Water dish on the right side
    Hides on both sides with a log in the middle.
    I have a ceramic heat emitter on the top in the middle kinda towards the left.
    I'm using paper towels for substrate.
    I'm using a thermostat on the heating pad but not on the CHE yet. I don't have a temp gun yet. It comes in the mail tomorrow.
    My hygrometer/ thermometer is mounted on the back glass towards the right side.
    Most of the top is covered with a towel.

So my problems are:
    Humidity- I can't get a stable humidity. The most it ever reaches is about 54%. I'm guessing it's because I use paper towels and a CHE so it dries out easily and quickly but from what I've read, you should start out baby BP's on paper towels. should I keep using that or switch to something else?
    I use the CHE because the cool side was only getting up to 71 degrees without it, but I don't have it turned on all the time. I have to keep spraying his enclosure every 30 minutes or so to keep the humidity up. Sorry for the long post but I could really use some advice here!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    Put damp moss in both hides. I did this for years with great success when I had two heat source over a screen top tank.

Also you can make a cover for some areas of the lid to contain some heat and humidity. I used cardboard cut to shape and covered with foil.

A CHE creates a pretty pointed heat spot so be careful. You can use a lamp stand or dimmer to get it dialed in.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks

Re: New BP owner could use some help!

Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post
    Put damp moss in both hides. I did this for years with great success when I had two heat source over a screen top tank.

Also you can make a cover for some areas of the lid to contain some heat and humidity. I used cardboard cut to shape and covered with foil.

A CHE creates a pretty pointed heat spot so be careful. You can use a lamp stand or dimmer to get it dialed in.
    Thank you so much! I'll give that a whirl! How soon do you think I can switch the substrate to Aspen or something like that?