Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 462

1 members and 461 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
    Thanks

Calming down a baby pueblan milk snake?

Just got a pueblan milk snake. Very fast and flighty. He is in his enclosure and will he left alone for around a week before handling(except for feeding in a few days.). Any tips to helping him calm down? I’ve heard handling 2 times a day for around 15 minutes helps but how long did it take others to calm, if they even did. He has been exploring his new enclosure.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If he is young time will be what really make a difference, pretty typical for Milksnakes to be flighty and the younger the worse they are. Once they age and gain some size it is a different story. When I kept and bred Milk I honestly kept handling to a minimum the first year.
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 05-27-2020 at 06:53 PM.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    Thanked 19,730 Times in 11,794 Posts
    PATIENCE! You should not be handling a "baby" milk snake...they need time to eat & grow without that stress for the better part of their first year while they gain size
    and experience. You wouldn't bring a newborn home from the hospital & expect them to go to school or play baseball, would you? You should back off & observe this
    snake for a while, otherwise the stress you cause will not be helpful, & might harm. These are nervous & flighty snakes anyway, but also pretty & very cool to watch.
    Let him learn to be a snake first...his instincts are telling him that he's "toast" (prey) for anything that picks him up...& terror is never good for health. (And yes, I have
    in the past, raised a pair of these.) There is no rush to "tame" such snakes...their mouth is too small to bite effectively & instead (like many king snakes) they tend to
    reward handling by expelling feces so as to be "less appetizing" to predators (as he thinks you are).
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Thanks! Sounds good. I’ll just observe him until he grows. I appreciate the help!