Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,874

1 members and 2,873 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero

Thread: New hatchling

Thanks

New hatchling

Hi everyone! I'm sorry i don't have any solutions to the OP's post but I do have some questions about my new baby if anyone could please help. I'm new to BPs. I literally just got mine today from XYZ reptiles. His bday was February of thisbyear. I didn't realize mine was stressed until reading this thread but he's doing the same thing. He's wandering around his enclosure and constantly trying to get to the top. He's in a 20 gallon glass tank with a screen top. I'm also having some difficulties with the humidity. I've heard it's best to use paper towels for baby BP's substrate so I know that's where a lot of my humidity issues come from so when should I switch to a real substrate? I'm also using a a ceramic heat emitter because the cool side wasn't getting warm enough. I could just use any advice.
    XYZ reptiles also said he feeds on Fridays. I got him today Wednesday the 27th so should I wait to feed him until Friday the 5th?

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: New hatchling

You animal is stressed because of several factors, he just arrived and it went from a very secure environment with optimum security to and environment that would be best suited for a 500 grams juvenile.

First thing to do would be to downsize to a 10 gallons, second once done no handling for a week than offer food.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Re: New hatchling

Quote Originally Posted by NikkoB View Post
    Hi everyone! I'm sorry i don't have any solutions to the OP's post but I do have some questions about my new baby if anyone could please help. I'm new to BPs. I literally just got mine today from XYZ reptiles. His bday was February of thisbyear. I didn't realize mine was stressed until reading this thread but he's doing the same thing. He's wandering around his enclosure and constantly trying to get to the top. He's in a 20 gallon glass tank with a screen top. I'm also having some difficulties with the humidity. I've heard it's best to use paper towels for baby BP's substrate so I know that's where a lot of my humidity issues come from so when should I switch to a real substrate? I'm also using a a ceramic heat emitter because the cool side wasn't getting warm enough. I could just use any advice.
    XYZ reptiles also said he feeds on Fridays. I got him today Wednesday the 27th so should I wait to feed him until Friday the 5th?
    Your new baby is probably stressed from a combination of things, including just being in an entirely new environment. Do you have a pic of your setup? Humidity, temperature, hiding spots, clutter...all of these things matter.
    /chris

---
    0.1 Catahoula Leopard Dog / Zooey
    ---
    1.0 Leopard Gecko / Leonard
    ---
    1.0 Normal Ball Python / Edward
    1.0 Banana Ball Python / Bartholomew
    1.0 Blue Eyed Leucistic Ball Python / Alfredo