Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 815

3 members and 812 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I did the same thing you did. Snake peed on it, never dislodged it, and I disagreed with a lot of people on this forum. I understand the whole setting high temps but the actual reading is still low. I get it; it is unnerving I also received lots of advice from snake keepers who bred, sold and kept snakes for decades, who told me that placing a probe outside the tank makes no sense.
    I get it.

Then I realized I was dead wrong. Maybe all those experienced keepers who believed the same thing too, but I was wrong. My ball python managed to dislodge the probe. Temps were read at mid-90's when I found the mistake. Fortunately I was paranoid and manually checked temps every day at the time. I immediately moved the probe in between the UTH and the tub. Had to play with the t-stat to get the temps I needed, but it worked. I eventually got a Herpstat which allowed me relax a little easier, although I still check temps.

My ball python also did not use the heat spot a lot, but that does not mean he won't.

So you might be thinking, oh what if it was not dislodged? Then it's ok, right? The answer is a big NO. On the same day with what happened with my ball python and starting moving the probe out on all my snakes' tanks, 1 of the them was reading the wrong temp. It was still stuck inside the tank, it was not peed or moved. However, I believe the aspen got stuck under and around the probe, so it gave a false reading, causing the UTH to increase heat. It was supposed to be 88F and it read close to 100F. I immediately unplugged to t-stat, fixed the probe and triple check the temps until everything is back to what it should be. Luckily, the snake did not get burned, probably because my Children python spent the majority of the time up on his log.

This happened about a year ago or so, can't remember exactly when but I do know I never had that issue again. Also having Herpstat or a reliable thermostat installed helps too.

I was wrong, I am so sorry for doubting anyone who tried to help me. I was lucky both snakes are fine, but it was simply luck and a blessing who saved them. It may seem people here are harsh. They meant it with good intentions. I'm telling you from my mistake, I had no idea anything was wrong and unless you are constantly checking temps, there will be a time when the reading is off and you can only hope to be there to fix it before it is too late.

P.S. Herpstat can sound an alarm and all, but it takes time while your snake continue to sit in the spot where it will get burned. And not all models carry that alarm system I think. But I still don't want to downplay how important it is to have a good thermostat as well as placing the probe outside the tank.
    Last edited by Cheesenugget; 05-27-2020 at 05:24 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

KMG (05-27-2020),vivi (05-27-2020)

Thanks

Re: What is Your Opinions on Where You Put Your UTH Thermostat Probe?

Quote Originally Posted by Nyogirl View Post
    This isn't to get a "what's better than what" or anything like that, this is just for people's personal experiences

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    @Nyogirl,

"I check it almost hourly when I'm at home and first thing in the morning and right before I got to bed just to make sure it hasn't moved or any temperature fluctuations or anything like that."

That sounds like no way to live to me. Sounds kinda stressful for the snake as well.

"The way I have this set up with the hot glue mat, which isn't a full sheet,"

I used hot glue once to stick a thermometer probe to the bottom of a cage. It didn't hold long. I've even had super glue fail holding a probe to a RHP.

But maybe I'm not understanding how you have it. Post a pic of what you're doing. I don't know what the "hot glue mat" is.
    Last edited by KMG; 05-27-2020 at 06:05 PM.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (05-28-2020),jmcrook (05-27-2020)

Thanks

Essentially 100% silicone is what's really holding the probe to the mat. I just used hot glue over it to get the silicone to stay attached to the mat. It's just a temporary thing, I plan on moving him to a different enclosure as soon as all this pandemic stuff (pretty bad in my area) blows over.

Here's a picture of the mat and how it fits under his hide. All the mat was meant to be was an anchor. It's on docs because I'm on an Android and have no clue how to add an image.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...t?usp=drivesdk

Thanks

Essentially 100% silicone is what's really holding the probe to the mat. I just used hot glue over it to get the silicone to stay attached to the mat. It's just a temporary thing, I plan on moving him to a different enclosure as soon as all this pandemic stuff (pretty bad in my area) blows over.

Here's a picture of the mat and how it fits under his hide. All the mat was meant to be was an anchor. It's on docs because I'm on an Android and have no clue how to add an image.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...t?usp=drivesdk
    Interesting.

Another thing to be aware of is by covering the probe you can insulate it and again have some issues.

Even when mounted outside the cage it is said to not cover the probe. I simply tape the wire just behind the probe to hold out in place.

I think it says something about that in the Spyder Robotics guide.
    KMG

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

I think choice of where to put the probe is based on personal choice.
    Choice and opinion do not compare to common sense and experience, it's about common sense and safety of the animal no a personal choice.

Okay, let me make some things clear: I was told the information by a man who's kept ball pythons for longer than I've been alive, so he's faced the issues and he's told me what he has worked best. He encountered someone in the group who sandwiched his probe in between the UTH and the glass and had the thermostat set on 120° to get a 90° reading and that made him panic, and it made me panic too. I don't personally like having two different numbers going on just to hope that my snake is going to be okay. I'd rather have two similar numbers, but that's just me.
    It's normal for new owner to panic when they do not understand how things work, but ultimately it's about COMMON sense and safety, with your probe being in the enclosure your animal is NOT SAFE.

I can tell you that any professional that keep snakes have their t-stat probe on the heat tape NEVER in the enclosure this is basic husbandry 1 on 1 if it is in the enclosure it is a dummy enclosure (in other words empty)
    Deborah Stewart

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (05-27-2020),MissterDog (05-27-2020)

Thanks

That's something I make sure, mainly reading the difference between the temp gun and what the thermostat is reading, so far the temp difference isn't that bad, maybe .5 of a degree. I have a BN-LINK thermostat that was advertised to be used for germinating purposes, but works for reptiles as well (which I plan on replacing in the near future, but it's working quite well) and it only recommended not to expose the probe to water, but I believe it can be submerged in soil. Or at least that's what the instructions say.

Thanks

That's something I make sure, mainly reading the difference between the temp gun and what the thermostat is reading, so far the temp difference isn't that bad, maybe .5 of a degree. I have a BN-LINK thermostat that was advertised to be used for germinating purposes, but works for reptiles as well (which I plan on replacing in the near future, but it's working quite well) and it only recommended not to expose the probe to water, but I believe it can be submerged in soil. Or at least that's what the instructions say.
    I stick to only reptile tstats, Herpstats to be specific.

I bought one of the germination tstats recommended back in the day to those on a budget to use in a pinch when my nice tstat didn't come in in time. It died in the on position. Luckily I didn't really trust it so I was checking it often but it scared me enough that I just started heating the room and using a lamp until I got the ordered tstat.

I also wrote off the cheap tstats from most pet stores. I was given a Zilla and set it up as a temporary control for I believe a heat bulb. It also failed shortly after.

I have 4 with another on the way of Herpstats, a 1, two 2s, and a 4. They have never failed me and I've had them for several years now.
    KMG

12. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (05-28-2020)

Thanks

That's understandable. I didn't trust the thermostat that much either, but it was highly recommended and reviewed bon Amazon and I've had it since January and no hiccups yet. But I'm going to soon convert an old display case into an enclosure for him and I plan on getting new... Well everything. I won't have any makeshift diy stuff going on or anything like that for heating, I'm making sure to do it right. He's currently in a 20 gallon, but I know he'll outgrow it soon.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12