Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,803

1 members and 2,802 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: New BP keeper, just trying to get it right!!

Quote Originally Posted by christineho View Post
    I noticed you said your CHE is centered -- might want to keep that on the warm side so she has an adequate cool side. How old is she? The log hides often don't provide enough security since both ends are open, even with moss.

What are your temperatures at on each side + ambient and what is the humidity at? I wouldn't worry too much about her falling from her climbing stick -- this happens and they learn just like human kids. I would definitely opt for a thermostat so you can help control the environment as vivi said and an IR temp gun (I bought the same one as KMG when I started and I still use it).

Don't worry, you're going to do great. The important thing is that you care enough to make it right!
    I honestly have no idea how old she is. She is small, so I know she is young. They said she was eating fuzzies so thats what I値l start with next week when I feed her. Right now, I only have an analog thermometer on the warm side and it stays between 85 and 90. I知 out right now picking up 2 digital thermometers, a digital hygrometer and a thermostat for the UTH, so I値l have a better idea of thermos and humidity this evening! I知 considering a

Is it worth a vet visit to find out the sex and age, or too much stress?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CGray0714 View Post
    I would say no. The sex is not really important and is something you can find yourself later with a bit more experience.

Take that money you are thinking of throwing at the vet and buy a good Tstat. I am telling you whatever you buy if it is not one of the ones suggested here is going to cost you more in the long run.

If you can not afford one you can use overhead heat just fine while you get a good Tstat. I would suggest a rheostat before a cheap tstat.

Search a bit and you may find one used. I bought two of mine used from Fauna Classifies I believe.

Here is another option that is often suggested.

https://www.reptilebasics.com/thermostats

The Zilla and others like it on the market suck. The cheap plant tstats on Amazon suck too. I have tried both one being given to me and the other as a temporary control of a snake while waiting on the good one to be delivered. They both failed, and failed ON. Luckily I was checking them constantly and nothing happened.

Google search burned snakes to see just what I am trying to avoid for you.....that, and save your money for good stuff.
    Last edited by KMG; 05-26-2020 at 05:55 PM.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (05-26-2020),CGray0714 (05-26-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    Here is another option.

https://helixcontrols.com/?page_id=42
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

5. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

CGray0714 (05-26-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CGray0714 View Post
    I honestly have no idea how old she is. She is small, so I know she is young. They said she was eating fuzzies so thats what I値l start with next week when I feed her. Right now, I only have an analog thermometer on the warm side and it stays between 85 and 90. I知 out right now picking up 2 digital thermometers, a digital hygrometer and a thermostat for the UTH, so I値l have a better idea of thermos and humidity this evening! I知 considering a

Don稚 waste money on a vet visit for sex/age, it doesn稚 matter much anyway. Is your analog just reading the ambient temp? Anyway, you値l get it figured out when you pick up the right materials. As KMG said, invest in a good thermostat if you can. The pics of burned bellies are terrifying.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12