Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,038

0 members and 3,038 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Tank size? (new owner)

Hello everyone. I'm purchasing my first BP soon. I am getting a small juvenile under a year old and I have a 20 gal 30*12*12 tank. Size has been a hard thing for me to grasp in my research. At what point will he outgrow that tank? What size do you recommend for a full grown adult? I've seen some say a 36*18*18 is sufficient for their entire life and some people with enormous 5' long tanks that would not go smaller for a large snake. Some say they like it cozy and some say they need to stretch out. I'm hoping more agree with the cozy tank idea of course, living in a small apartment on a budget But I want to do what's right for my snake.

Thanks

Tank size? (new owner)

It mostly depends on when you start feeling uncomfortable about your snake stuck in too small of a tank and how fast your bp is gonna grow. I would say the bare minimum, however, to be if the length and width of the tank is equivalent to the snakes total length. If your tank length of those two sides combined, are smaller than your bp length, then I’d switch for sure.

Sometimes these things you have to learn from your snake as well. Lots of people have issues with too large of a tank and it can stress your bp out, while others have used too small, and has the same results. I feel that a portion of this decision also applies to the snakes personality. 20 gallon is a good start, so I’d wait and watch what type of personality your snake has and how they handle their current environment, and you can then arrange future plans from there.

Personally, I think that a 36x18x18 is sufficient for an adult bp to live in, especially if it’s a male. If it’s a female, I could understand if people wanted to upsize the tank using the rule of thumb mentioned above(sum of length and width), especially if the female is abnormally larger. And if you decide to upsize it so that your bp has more freedom then by all means you are welcome to do so. Just make sure your snake isn’t stressed, and can show they can be comfortable in a larger environment.
    Last edited by Faith.luu; 05-26-2020 at 09:25 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Faith.luu For This Useful Post:

soapapilla (05-26-2020)

Thanks

Re: Tank size? (new owner)

Quote Originally Posted by soapapilla View Post
    Hello everyone. I'm purchasing my first BP soon. I am getting a small juvenile under a year old and I have a 20 gal 30*12*12 tank. Size has been a hard thing for me to grasp in my research. At what point will he outgrow that tank? What size do you recommend for a full grown adult? I've seen some say a 36*18*18 is sufficient for their entire life and some people with enormous 5' long tanks that would not go smaller for a large snake. Some say they like it cozy and some say they need to stretch out. I'm hoping more agree with the cozy tank idea of course, living in a small apartment on a budget But I want to do what's right for my snake.
    Congratulations! Getting your first bp is so exciting! I would err on the smaller/cozy side, especially for a juvenile. They need to feel secure in order to eat/thrive. Many people use weight or length as a benchmark for when they need to upgrade in size and I've always used a tub until they're ready for a 20 gallon glass enclosure. It's more cost effective and husbandry is also easier during your first year or so. I know they're not the prettiest but it's important to know that you can regulate their environment, especially when you're new to bps. I personally feel a 20 gallon enclosure will be sufficient for at least a year or two (subadult) and remember to provide lots of clutter. I'm upgrading our 1.5 yo to a 40 gallon in the next couple of months just based on weight/length (815g, 38 inches) but he's not uncomfortable in his current 20 gallon. Our 12yo has been in a 40 gallon since he reached adulthood and is doing great!

The most important thing is to provide proper hiding places, temperature, and humidity. Other than that, it's really personal preference! Read as much as you can in the BP Husbandry folder on this forum -- it will save you a lot of stress later. Can't wait to see your new baby!

/chris

5. The Following User Says Thank You to christineho For This Useful Post:

soapapilla (05-26-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 462 Posts

Re: Tank size? (new owner)

Good question, and yes the information out there can be overwhelming. Since you're starting with a youngster, smaller is better - and to start with even your 20 gallon may be overwhelming for the little one. Every snake is different so you can either wait to see how he handles it and whether he seems comfortable (no stress behaviors, eats well, etc.) or if you may need to put him in a smaller tub for awhile - which may be the case if all he's known so far is a rack. Just be sure the 20 gallon has plenty of clutter and a couple of hides - and be prepared to black out the tank on three sides if he seems to need the added security.

As others pointed out you have plenty of time (at least a year; probably more if you're getting a male) to decide what's needed for an adult - and plenty of time to research options like PVC enclosures.

Good luck, have fun, and welcome!
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python 'Ziggy'
    1.0 Bredl's Python 'Calcifer'
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 'Mara'
    1.1 Tarahumara Mountain Boas 'Paco' and 'Frida'
    2.0 Dumeril's Boas 'Gyre' and 'Titan'
    1.0 Stimson's Python 'Jake'
    1.1 Children's Pythons 'Miso' and 'Ozzy'
    1.0 Anthill Python 'Cricket'
    1.0 Plains Hognose 'Peanut'
    1.1 Rough-scaled Sand Boas 'Rassi' and 'Kala'
    1.0 Ball Python (BEL) 'Sugar'
    1.0 Gray-banded Kingsnake 'Nacho'
    1.0 Green Tree Python (Aru) 'Jade'

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Caitlin For This Useful Post:

soapapilla (05-26-2020)

Thanks
    Thanks so much, all! Some super helpful details here. I especially appreciate the length+width=snake length rule of thumb. The snake I'm eyeing sounds like he's on the small side so far so hopefully he'll be comfy for a while to come but I'll keep all this in mind as he grows for sure. I appreciate the help.