Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,898

2 members and 2,896 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

2 sores under chin

I have a ball python that has 2 sores under her chin that are brown and rough and obviously hurt her when I touched very lightly. I saw another thread that says its not scale rot and no I cannot provide pictures because this site or forum won't let me which leaves me wondering why this forum doesn't have an option to upload pics from gallery. But do I wait till next shed and leave it alone or do I apply that betadine? How would I apply the betadine if its under her head? Thanks.

Thanks

Re: 2 sores under chin

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Flores View Post
    I have a ball python that has 2 sores under her chin that are brown and rough and obviously hurt her when I touched very lightly. I saw another thread that says its not scale rot and no I cannot provide pictures because this site or forum won't let me which leaves me wondering why this forum doesn't have an option to upload pics from gallery. But do I wait till next shed and leave it alone or do I apply that betadine? How would I apply the betadine if its under her head? Thanks.
    Just use the direct link option: https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...-Post-Pictures

Thanks

thanks heres how it looks

Thanks

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Joseph Flores For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-25-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Even seeing the issue, it's hard to give you an opinion as to exactly what this is. How long has she had these sores?

The fact that there are 2 sores on the chin of your snake that are obviously painful suggests an infection of some kind, so first I have to ask, do you feed live rodents? It does look like it could be a rodent bite to me.

If the answer is yes, I would bet your snake got bit when trying to kill her prey, & if that's the case, you should take her to see a reptile vet, as the mouth/face area of a snake is sensitive & crucial for life, not to mention near the brain, so infections can be serious if untreated; keep in mind that even if it seems to heal OK, snakes produce solid pus that does not drain away on it's own -it forms lumps that require surgical removal because they cause pressure that hurts. Your snake may also need an antibiotic to heal.

You can try to apply Betadine or better yet, Vetericyn ointment (for reptile use), but if it's not a fresh open wound, these topical medications probably won't reach the infection to do any good. Brown generally means a scab of old dried blood, & to apply any topical product, you'll need to gently restrain your snake's head & apply it with a Q-tip.

But again, you really should take her to the vet instead...the fact that you're asking us how to apply something under her head suggests you're not up to the task, & the fact that it's painful suggests an infection that needs more than you can do at home. If you're feeding live, we can help you get her on f/t rodents so you won't keep having injuries in the future...that would be best for your snake. If this IS a bite wound, your snake may also now fear live rodents as a result of the bite, & now be harder to feed.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-25-2020 at 11:24 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    The one almost looks like a cut. Is it?

Anything in the cage that could do such a thing if the snake jammed it's head in or across it?

Being in the same spot on each side makes me think it did it pushing it's head into something, but it is a bit blurry and I'm on a phone so take it for what it is. Just a guess.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

8. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (05-26-2020)

Thanks

No I do not feed it live rodents or anything and my humidty is good. Im sure she tried escaping out and may have cut herself by accident because the lid was a bit loose but I put a heavy rock to seal it shut completely and yes I have clips and yes my temperatures are good. I cleaned her enclosure and made sure there were no pee or poop anywhere. I already applied a Triple Antibiotic Ointment to her Im not sure how often to apply it tho but I will see if I can go get some betadine for her.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Joseph Flores For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-25-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

No I do not feed it live rodents or anything and my humidty is good. Im sure she tried escaping out and may have cut herself by accident because the lid was a bit loose but I put a heavy rock to seal it shut completely and yes I have clips and yes my temperatures are good. I cleaned her enclosure and made sure there were no pee or poop anywhere. I already applied a Triple Antibiotic Ointment to her Im not sure how often to apply it tho but I will see if I can go get some betadine for her.
    You don't need Betadine if you're using Triple ointment, just one or the other. Glad you aren't feeding live, I was typing before you put up pics & it does look more like a cut.

When snakes try to climb, they often use their chin when they pull themselves up, so check for sharp edges on branches etc. I hope you can get by without taking her to the vet for this: a rodent bite would be more likely to get a nasty infection, but even though it's not a rodent bite, if you find she has hard lumps (or any swelling) where these wounds are, you still might need some medical help with this. Hope not. I'd apply a tiny amount twice a day. Not too much, as it just smears off (& can also mess with future sheds- that's where Vetericyn is better, it's water-based FOR reptile use. Most ointments are petroleum based, not good on snake's skin.)
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-26-2020 at 12:04 AM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post
    Anything in the cage that could do such a thing if the snake jammed it's head in or across it? Being in the same spot on each side makes me think it did it pushing it's head into something.
    Almost certainly what this is as it lines up with their lower mandibles. Used to see the same thing on my retics when pushing/smashing their heads into parts of the enclosures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

KMG (05-26-2020)

Thanks

How would I stop her from doing this? I do not see her pushing against anything and she doesn't seem to have anything sharp in her enclosure but I notice when she's hungry, she roams her enclosure during the day and just looks like she's pushing up on her tank lid but she's not. I feed her an adult mouse but do i feed her like every 6 to 7 days because i fed her a adult mouse last Wednesday and today is Tuesday and she's roaming her enlcosire again and seems hungry with her tongue flicking a lot. Plus is it even safe to feed her with those sores under her chin?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast