Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,063

2 members and 2,061 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts

Re: Owning a Ball python at 40?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Even when you make it to retirement, other issues (like injuries) sometimes make it so some things that were fun at 45 are just not fun years later. Snake-keeping is pretty good in retirement though, assuming you're not wrestling anacondas.
    Very true. That close call I had left me with 11 herniated discs, two tears, and nerve damage in my low back. I now work a admin job because I can no longer wear a gun belt. I have chronic pain and it changed my life. Things I used to do with ease I now pay for in the following days because of the damage.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks
    Thanked 19,787 Times in 11,824 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post
    Very true. That close call I had left me with 11 herniated discs, two tears, and nerve damage in my low back. I now work a admin job because I can no longer wear a gun belt. I have chronic pain and it changed my life. Things I used to do with ease I now pay for in the following days because of the damage.
    So you're much safer on the job now & should make retirement OK, but at the price of chronic pain that unfortunately seldom improves with age. One way or another, it's hard to get thru life unscathed, so we have to enjoy the journey as much as we can & remember that "it could have been worse". Hard as it is to believe, even ppl that win big money in lotteries find ways to screw up their lives, so we just have to play the hand we're dealt, I guess?
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-25-2020 at 07:06 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    So you're much safer on the job now & should make retirement OK, but at the price of chronic pain that unfortunately seldom improves with age. One way or another, it's hard to get thru life unscathed, so we have to enjoy the journey as much as we can & remember that "it could have been worse". Hard as it is to believe, even ppl that win big money in lotteries find ways to screw up their lives, so we just have to play the hand we're dealt, I guess?
    Agree!

The doctors say if I wasn't muscled up like I am I would probably not be walking....or worse. It sucks but I was in fact lucky.
    KMG

Thanks
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 465 Posts
    I have an alligator snapping turtle, and it'll hopefully outlive me. And hopefully, I'll have someone to leave it to, but it's not looking good so far.
    Last edited by wnateg; 05-25-2020 at 07:25 PM.
    Start your own dubia roach colony with Roach Rancher!

Instagram - @AliceAnaconda

0.1.0 Cat "Anna"
    -----
    1.1.0 Emerald Tree Boa "Amanda & Samantha"
    0.1.0 Merauke Scrub Python "Victoria"
    0.1.0 Titanium Reticulated Python "Alice"
    1.0.0 Eastern Indigo
    -----
    0.0.4 Alligator Snapping Turtle "Deborah"
    0.0.2 Florida Snapping Turtles
    0.0.1 Cuvier's Dwarf Caiman "Caroline"
    0.0.1 100% Het Black Dragon Asian Water Monitor
    -----
    0.0.1 Antilles Pink Toe Tarantula "Katherine"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wnateg View Post
    I have an alligator snapping turtle, and it'll hopefully outlive me. And hopefully, I'll have someone to leave it to, but it's not looking good so far.
    If I'm still alive I'll take it. Lol!
    KMG

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-25-2020),wnateg (05-26-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,787 Times in 11,824 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wnateg View Post
    Just as well that I no longer keep rattlebrats- not always easy to place either...but that doesn't stop me from missing them.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

wnateg (05-26-2020)

Thanks

Like some others here, I'm 50+ have 5 snakes (daughter has 1).

Just picked up two unwanted baby BP's last summer, So the possibility exists they will out live me even with a natural life span.

They will go to my daughter if she wants to take them in, or to my vet who also runs a shelter / rehoming place and is a snake owner her self.

Of course that can all change over the years, so I will adjust accordingly if it does.

I do have a will / medical directives ect written up, So my wishes are in writing and 2 people have copies, due to the fact my daughter is still a minor

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gocntry For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-26-2020),Caitlin (05-26-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicey View Post
    I'm 62 and recently bought my first snake last fall. Now I have a wish list and no fear that I'm too old to be able to love and handle my reptiles as long as they need it. My youngest daughter is also a reptophile and in line to inherit if something happens to me. It's just a matter of being prepared, as others have pointed out. Best wishes to you and your future babies!

Love your post
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa (Northern)
    0.1 Green Tree Python (Aru)
    0.1 Pueblan Milk Snake
    1.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake
    1.0 Pied Het Lavender Albino Ball Python
    1.0 Yellow Phase Eastern Hognose

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 462 Posts
    I think the OP asked a great question, and it's one I wish more potential keepers would ask. I agree with those pointing out that the issue is really about how you plan.

As an older snake owner I appreciate this thread. I'm fortunate enough that I was able to recently retire, and continuing to keep snakes as a hobby has been a big part of my plans. As retirement grew closer, I started asking myself if it was really fair for me to keep snakes because of the chance that they'd outlive me.

After a LOT of thought and some serious and sometimes difficult conversations with friends and other keepers, I feel clear that I'm not in the wrong for continuing to keep and enjoy my scaly crew.

So here's a reality check about planning. I've kept snakes all my life. At the age of 26 I was in an accident (thank you drunk drivers) that left me so severely injured that I had to re-home my dog and all of my snakes. I would be unable to care for them for at least two years, and needed so much assistance that I couldn't justify asking friends and family to take over their care in addition to everything else I needed help with.

Once I was physically able to start keeping again, I set up a specific 'just in case' plan for each of my animals. The plan includes exactly who is to receive each; a care sheet for each; the contact number for my exotics vet; contact information for the person who agreed to take the animal; contact information for the person who has agreed to help get my snakes shipped or otherwise relocated; and funds set aside to help with food, shipping, etc. I review/change the plan as needed every year. I included the specifics in my will, have a separate hard copy of the plan in my electronic and paper files, and another copy in the possession of a trusted friend.

In my public health career I saw many situations where pets were left without their owner. One thing that I learned is that we can never just assume that friends or family will care for our pets. Ask specifically if they are interested/able to do so. I've seen some beautiful animals thrown onto Craigslist or quickly sold off to anyone who would take them because a spouse or other family member, once faced with reality, felt overwhelmed and just couldn't deal with it.

The planning may sound like a lot at first, but it isn't hard to set up. Of course it's important to be realistic about what we choose to keep, but there's a whole world of wonderful species to consider. I'd hate to see anyone who could provide a good home for a snake decide that they shouldn't do so just because of age or physical limitations.
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python 'Ziggy'
    1.0 Bredl's Python 'Calcifer'
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 'Mara'
    1.1 Tarahumara Mountain Boas 'Paco' and 'Frida'
    2.0 Dumeril's Boas 'Gyre' and 'Titan'
    1.0 Stimson's Python 'Jake'
    1.1 Children's Pythons 'Miso' and 'Ozzy'
    1.0 Anthill Python 'Cricket'
    1.0 Plains Hognose 'Peanut'
    1.1 Rough-scaled Sand Boas 'Rassi' and 'Kala'
    1.0 Ball Python (BEL) 'Sugar'
    1.0 Gray-banded Kingsnake 'Nacho'
    1.0 Green Tree Python (Aru) 'Jade'

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Caitlin For This Useful Post:

Alicia (05-26-2020),bcr229 (05-26-2020),Bogertophis (05-26-2020),christineho (05-26-2020),dakski (05-26-2020),GoingPostal (05-26-2020),Luvyna (05-26-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Wow. Many people on this forum have been through hell and back.

I had a kidney transplant at 32 (now 40) and I am heavily immune suppressed. I will also, likely, need another transplant to make it my life expectancy, 65 years old.

I figure, pretty much, the lot of reptiles I have now is it, unless something drastically changes health wise. Katie (my wife) and friends have plans if something happens to be suddenly, but otherwise, I figure I should outlive the current crew by a little and would find homes for any residual residents as I got older/sicker.

Going back to the OP - and what has been said here - if you can care for the animal(s) for a while and give them good homes and potentially outlive them, go for it. Otherwise, have a backup plan in case something happens.

However, I do not think you should keep yourself from having a reptile(s) because of age.

One other thing to point out is reptiles will ultimately be happy with proper husbandry and food. They don't really get attached to their owners and would do fine being re-homed if necessary. It's not like a dog who will miss his/her family if they pass, re-home them, etc.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (05-26-2020),KMG (05-26-2020)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12