Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,078

2 members and 3,076 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered User Reptile$ 4 Life's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Target Training Fail!

Quote Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    That's interesting. Is the purpose of these studies to show that snakes have the intelligence to understand that following a visual cue eventually leads to a food reward in the end? Kinda like a mouse in a maze? I guess it's possible. And then what? What other tricks are they planning to teach these snakes and what are they hoping to learn? I guess I still don't understand the end goal but hope it's not to try and domesticate such magnificent creatures.
    I don't think the point is to domesticate them but to learn how intelligent they actually are. There have been very few studies on reptile intelligence but the ones that have been completed have yielded so crazy results. They did an experiment with rattlesnakes hunting in 2002 and found that they will actually move things in their environment to help them hunt. There are a couple summaries of some studies here. http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Six-...-Intelligence/
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (Flicker)
    1.2 Southern Alligator Liazrds (Wraith, Magma & Annie)
    0.1 Western Skink (Stella)
    1.1 Leopard Geckos (Leo & Jade)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Reptile$ 4 Life For This Useful Post:

Alicia (05-25-2020),Bogertophis (05-25-2020),EL-Ziggy (05-25-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 462 Posts
    I love the discussion, don't feel like anyone is pushing anything on me, and am always open to feedback about anything I do with my snakes as long as it's delivered in a friendly/respectful way. I started keeping snakes back when we used fish tanks and 'hot rocks', so I've definitely had to remain open to feedback and change to ensure that I provide the best conditions possible!

So in response to questions, suggestions, etc: I wanted to tone down and focus Jake's feeding response, because before training he'd start striking as soon as he could see movement near his enclosure, and he'd bite and wrap anything that moved into his reach. He takes his food VERY seriously.

I agree that hook training is great, and it's something every new keeper should learn. It's also the best path for those who may not have the time or interest to get into target training, station training, etc. Daksi, I've actually shared your thread on hook training with several others outside of these boards, and appreciate what a nice job you did of explaining it. I think it's helped a lot of people.

I've opted to use target training with my snakes (not only with Jake) for a few reasons: I've found it to be effective while providing additional behavioral options. I can use target training to get a snake to voluntarily shift to a holding enclosure while I clean, or move it to an activity station (like a climbing perch). Finally, the process of target training provides mental and physical stimulation for the snake. I grew up in a family of veterinarians and worked my way through undergrad/grad school as a vet tech in laboratory settings and exotics practices, so we were always looking for ways to lower stress for the animals we handled, and this sort of behavioral training is one option. Plus, I just generally find it interesting and fun.

I don't want to imply that one form of training is better than the other - it all depends on you, your needs and interests, and the animals you are working with. But I enjoy sharing my experiences, brainstorming about ways to improve, and sharing funny mistakes like Jake's escapade with the magical mouse-producing stick.
    Last edited by Caitlin; 05-25-2020 at 02:17 PM.
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python 'Ziggy'
    1.0 Bredl's Python 'Calcifer'
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 'Mara'
    1.1 Tarahumara Mountain Boas 'Paco' and 'Frida'
    2.0 Dumeril's Boas 'Gyre' and 'Titan'
    1.0 Stimson's Python 'Jake'
    1.1 Children's Pythons 'Miso' and 'Ozzy'
    1.0 Anthill Python 'Cricket'
    1.0 Plains Hognose 'Peanut'
    1.1 Rough-scaled Sand Boas 'Rassi' and 'Kala'
    1.0 Ball Python (BEL) 'Sugar'
    1.0 Gray-banded Kingsnake 'Nacho'
    1.0 Green Tree Python (Aru) 'Jade'

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Caitlin For This Useful Post:

Alicia (05-25-2020),Bogertophis (05-25-2020),christineho (05-25-2020),dakski (05-25-2020),EL-Ziggy (05-25-2020),Gio (05-25-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Target Training Fail!

Caitlin,

Thank you for the thorough and thoughtful answer and the props.

Keep us posted and good luck with Jake!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

RickyNY (05-25-2020)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12