Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,829

5 members and 2,824 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
    Thanks

First time owner -- should I attempt switching from live to f/t?

I am in the process of choosing my first BP and one of the factors I'm considering is that I'd really like to feed f/t. Some of the snakes on my list are being fed live or pre-killed currently, so I'd just like to get an opinion on how difficult it would be for me to make the switch if I choose one of those. I've read a little bit about how to make the transition easier (braining, prescenting, using a hair dryer, etc) but how likely am I to be successful as a first time owner? The snakes I am looking at are between a few months old to a year old and the breeders assure me they have been eating well so far. Would it be better for me to just stick with a snake already eating f/t? Do you tend to have to "wean" them off of live for a while before they will start to accept frozen, especially while settling in to a new environment? Any other tips you have (including other things I should look for in my first snake) would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    I've never let that be a factor for me. For the most part I have found it easy to make the switch. The only one that really gave me trouble was a Hognose from wild caught parents, but even that one switched with work. My BRB was the next hardest but it was not terrible. Now everything I have eats F/T great.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (05-26-2020),dakski (05-25-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: First time owner -- should I attempt switching from live to f/t?

I agree with KMG. With determination and the correct defrosting techniques and offering techniques, you should be able to get pretty much any snake to switch.

Things that make it easier IMO:

-A snake that has eaten pre-killed or F/T in the past.

-Defrost prey - don't cook prey (I have a list of defrosting steps if you are interested)

-Heat up prey just before offering

-Don't scare your snake with the prey. I can slap my boas in the face with a prey item, if I can get it close enough before they strike, and they will still strike and eat. They don't care (not that I make a habit of that). BP's scare easy and it's best to let them come to it (not far) and not bounce it around too much.

-Know your snake. Some snakes, especially shy ones like BP's, often want to be left alone to eat. My girl, Shayna rarely strikes, but even if she does, usually pulls the prey into her house or looks around to make sure I am nowhere near and watching (or anything else for that matter). Her preference most of the time, is for me to leave it with her, lights out, and if she's going to eat, it's gone an hour later. Yes, she ate live before I got her at 6 months old.

-Easier to switch a younger snake who is in Growth and I NEED FOOD drive.

Finally, see if the breeder will offer F/T to see if one of the snakes you want will take it. Shayna's breeder fed her a F/T meal or two before he shipped her and she's never eaten anything but with me.

Is this your first snake? Is F/T a deal breaker for you? If so, make sure it eats at least pre-killed, but I would be prepared if he/she is very young to offer a live meal if necessary to get them going. Probably won't come to that, but you need to be aware that's on the table.

I wouldn't buy a BP not eating at least pre-killed because F/T is a deal breaker for me. My other 6 snakes, (3 boas, 2 corns, and a carpet python) could care less. They are on it so quick anyway, and all are easy to switch and/or have eaten F/T their entire lives. The one exception is my Dwarf BC/Red Tail, Feliz, who are pre-killed. It took about 2 seconds to switch him and he's never looked back. Of course that's a boa.

BP's are probably one of the hardest to switch once established on live, but that doesn't mean you cannot do it and they won't switch.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (05-26-2020),soapapilla (05-25-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

Re: First time owner -- should I attempt switching from live to f/t?

I agree with what's already been said. Most snakes will transition to f/t with time and patience. A few of my snakes were fed live when I got them but now they all eat f/t. BPs can be more stubborn than other snakes but they all eat eventually and the hunger always wins in the end. I'd try to find a critter that was already on f/t if possible but it's not a deal breaker for me. Best wishes with whatever snake you choose.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (05-26-2020),soapapilla (05-25-2020)

Thanks
    I had a little push back from my new BP who was only eating live the first 6 months of his life before we got him. We fed him live the first few feedings to help keep his stress levels down. I tried F/T with mixed results so I went to fresh kills for about three feedings. The first one took a few attempts and after about three or four he was taking those great. I then ordered some frozen from Big Cheese and the first one maybe took him about 20 seconds to eat and now he strikes them almost instantly each time I offer them. It is a relief to be able to buy in bulk, saving money, not having to drive to the pet store each week, etc. With some work most people can get them to switch and it seems to me to be a good choice.

I don't think you said, if you did I missed it....How old are the snakes you are looking at? I think the longer they have been eating live the tougher it could be. A 2 year old snake who only eats live would be harder to switch than one under a year old.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Midwest For This Useful Post:

soapapilla (05-26-2020)

Thanks
    Thank you all very much for your feedback. It sounds more optimistic than I expected! The snakes I'm looking at are all under a year old so shouldn't be too stuck in their ways. I appreciate the help.