Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,909

0 members and 2,909 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Trying to clean enclosure!

Yeah, I figured that out actually. I sprayed him to just like change his water bowl, or have to do something minor in there... Just need to get those paper towels out from under him and out some fresh ones down. I'm going to try to be more brave today and see what happens lol. The last time he was in his hide, I just lifted it up, and his body language was non threatening, so I picked him up and had my daughter hold him while I cleaned it. She's been with her dad over the past few weeks. I hate having to put him in a tub to clean in there. If he would go to the other side of the enclosure and not be so curious about what I'm doing(or mistake my hand for food), then I can finish one side, while he's on the other. I scrubbed it all out with vinegar water, last time we took him out, so I don't think I really need to scrub it out just yet. By the way! His name is Houdini!😊

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Miranda324 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-25-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Miranda324 View Post
    Yeah, I figured that out actually. I sprayed him to just like change his water bowl, or have to do something minor in there... Just need to get those paper towels out from under him and out some fresh ones down. I'm going to try to be more brave today and see what happens lol. The last time he was in his hide, I just lifted it up, and his body language was non threatening, so I picked him up and had my daughter hold him while I cleaned it. She's been with her dad over the past few weeks. I hate having to put him in a tub to clean in there. If he would go to the other side of the enclosure and not be so curious about what I'm doing(or mistake my hand for food), then I can finish one side, while he's on the other. I scrubbed it all out with vinegar water, last time we took him out, so I don't think I really need to scrub it out just yet. By the way! His name is Houdini!😊
    Just put a towel or old shirt in the tub to hold the snake while cleaning. It will be completely fine and completely hidden. Then you can concentrate on cleaning.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, I just have to stop being so nervous. I just need to get used to him more. I still have the tub he came in. After I get done with my morning cup of coffee, I'm going to just going to get back in there. Not sure if you read, but I was a nervous wreck last night, had a long day, so I said screw it, and didn't finish it in there. I knew he'd be ok for a night. He rarely even goes on his cool side of the enclosure, even since the temps have been where they are supposed to. He loves being on the heated end in his hide(and yes, he has a hide on both ends&#128522

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Miranda324 For This Useful Post:

KMG (05-25-2020)

Thanks

And I just added a profile picture of Houdini and I, to prove that there have been times that we've been comfortable with each other! I actually really enjoy holding him, but I've only picked him up when he's tried to get away from me, not come at me. Trust me, I've watched videos and studied their body behavior and what it all means, so when he's in a defensive, or strike mode, that's when I'm nervous. I know I need to overcome my fear regardless, when he does this!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Miranda324 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-25-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,816 Times in 11,840 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Miranda324 View Post
    And I just added a profile picture of Houdini and I, to prove that there have been times that we've been comfortable with each other! I actually really enjoy holding him, but I've only picked him up when he's tried to get away from me, not come at me. Trust me, I've watched videos and studied their body behavior and what it all means, so when he's in a defensive, or strike mode, that's when I'm nervous. I know I need to overcome my fear regardless, when he does this!
    Trust is a 2 way street...I mean that sincerely. You expect HIM to trust you (even though being held goes against his instincts) so YOU have to trust him too. Not saying blindly though...learn to read his body language, understand his thoughts are likely elsewhere or on incoming food, & you'll be fine. It's a BP...not a pit-bull. Even though it's not with words, it's still a "conversation" with a snake...using scent, touch & any which way you can communicate that (a) you're not prey and (b) he can feel safe with you.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-25-2020 at 10:03 AM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    I also agree with KMG's post, that you might be mis-reading his curiosity for "aggression". BPs tend to use their heat-sensing pits first & best, when identifying all things
    "incoming", whereas with most of the snakes I keep, I can just blow some air across my hand (thru the screen) in their direction, & they'll get my scent & recognize me
    very quickly that way. Yes, they visibly back up as if to say "Oops, nevermind!" Like I said, just because snakes are deaf & silent doesn't mean you can forget to have a
    "conversation" when you work with them...it just means you have to do it on their terms, using THEIR best senses.

While I agree that non-venomous snake bites are mostly no big deal, I personally avoid (prevent!) them as much as I can. You (& anyone else) have nothing to "prove".

I like your profile picture with him...you CAN do this! Have faith in yourself & empathy for any snakes you deal with. Imagine life from their perspective.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-25-2020 at 10:40 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (05-25-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    While I agree that non-venomous snake bites are mostly no big deal, I personally avoid (prevent!) them as much as I can. You (& anyone else) have nothing to "prove".
    I do too. My point was it's going to happen at some point, if you keep snakes long enough, so don't be so afraid you fail to give care to the animal. I never try to get bit and prevent it whenever possible. My friend who gave me the Dum never got tagged and because he was so afraid of it he gave away a beautiful well behaved snake.

My usually tool with one in feed mode or just being cranky is the paper towel roll. After that I have sprayed with the mister.... Usually the GTP at night. This usually gets him to tighten up on his perch and hide his face, giving me time to reach in without being tagged. At night he bites at anything that moves.

And no I do not consider this mean as I mist him and the ETB daily. I do not avoid spraying them so I really see no difference. When I mist any of my snakes I usually mist them directly in the process. It's a mist of water, not a high pressure stream.
    KMG

12. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-25-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post
    ... My friend who gave me the Dum never got tagged and because he was so afraid of it he gave away a beautiful well behaved snake...

That's how I got the BCI I had for many years- never 1 bite from her in all that time, but it wasn't for her lack of trying initially. She scared off multiple owners before she cameto my house, & after about 2 months, relaxed having learned she had nothing to fear with me. I've had my share of snake bites- been keeping lots of snakes for many years-but most bites are predictable & therefore avoidable...what I call a "failure to communicate".

For those who may not know, most snake bites are under-whelming...over quickly, like an injection from your physician or an accidental pin-prick for those who sew clothing.The ones to seriously avoid are feeding mistakes, bites from venomous or rear-fanged snakes, & bites from large to giant snakes (because their teeth are long enough to do real damage to nerves & cause serious bleeding if an artery is hit.) All the rest are inconsequential...I've never even had a snake bite get infected (& that's also without first aid).

FAR more damage & infections result from bites from most other commonly-kept pets, like cats, dogs, birds, hamsters-rats-mice, etc. If you have some lasting issue with a bite from a harmless snake, it might be one or more embedded teeth that broke off & became "splinters" when you jerked your hand away, so "try" not to do that.

And yes, I'd NEVER use a "high pressure water stream" to spray a snake so it backs off...my tool is just a harmless pump spray bottle, for sure!
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-25-2020 at 01:37 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    And yes, I'd NEVER use a "high pressure water stream" to spray a snake so it backs off...my tool is just a harmless pump spray bottle, for sure!
    My misting comment was not directed to you, or anybody actually. Just saying what I do sometimes with an explanation of why I don't see it as a bad practice as it is business as usual for my collection.
    KMG

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post
    My misting comment was not directed to you, or anybody actually. Just saying what I do sometimes with an explanation of why I don't see it as a bad practice as it is business as usual for my collection.
    We agree, & I didn't take it that way, it was just more of a good reminder to better explain what I was suggesting also.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

KMG (05-25-2020)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast