Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,236

2 members and 3,234 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Trying to clean enclosure!

I love Chris Hardwick! I've been watching him actually! Check out my next comment in this thread though... 😔

Thanks

Bless your heart. Where do you live? I can try to find some good free groups that may have some shelving or something. It sounds like you read up on it but weren't quite ready and definitely not ready for that big of a snake, and then things spiraled and kind of fell apart in life in general. If you want to message me your info, feel free and I'll try to help in any way possible.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Kerimac; 05-24-2020 at 11:44 PM.
    Keri Mac
    1.0 Normal BP
    1.0 Deep Purple Passion BP

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kerimac For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-25-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts
    BTW, for anyone who thinks that a spray of cool water in the face of a confused snake is somehow "mean": First off, snakes in the "real world" get rained on, & secondly, I have snakes that will literally drink from a spray of water. But all it does (when a snake is defensive or thinks you're edible) is to "change their channel" of thinking...like immediately & without harm. They also don't associate that with you...it's just water, & rain happens. I've had BPs in the past & don't recall ever needing the technique with any of them, but I've used it now & then for various other kinds of snakes.

I currently have large FL rat snakes that are always thinking "food!" so if I need to spot-clean their tanks, I use a ping-pong paddle to block the door-way of their hides (with them inside, of course) as otherwise they'd charge out & grab my moving hand (assuming "prey") & "ask questions later" lol. They're all quite safe to handle, but if I want to take them out, & they give me a questioning look ("got food?") I answer with a mist of water, so they know "NOT food". It's the same idea as "tap training" that many others here do...but I favor using a water spray because I've had feisty snakes that grab the snake hook & I do NOT want them to hurt their mouth on a metal hook...water is safer, & just as effective, in my experience. (I used this technique with the large BCI I had for many years too, & never had even one bite from her.) My little Aussie spotted python is another one I have to watch out for: once in hand, she's a total sweetheart, but she's always hoping for incoming prey too.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-24-2020 at 11:50 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Miranda324 (05-25-2020)

Thanks
    Hey, you don't need to BUY a snake hook...just MAKE one. You're not going to pick up the snake with it like on an episode of Wild Kingdom...it's only for "tap training".

You can use a stick or wooden dowel, pad the end, put your scent on it & hope he doesn't get his teeth stuck in any fabric. (yeah, it's actually possible- so maybe use a
    rubber or plastic cap instead of cloth to pad the end). This technique (offering a stick with your scent on it) is useful even with dogs that are defending their yards...I
    once had a summer job reading electric meters...barging into back yards even with "bad" dogs to read the meters. It works because dogs want to sniff you, but it's not
    safe to risk your hand with strange dogs...instead they read your scent off the tennis ball that's installed on the end of the stick you carry, & believe it or not, they accept
    you! I never got bit...those that didn't bother to carry that tool sure did though. (boy do I have dog stories...LOL)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (05-25-2020),Miranda324 (05-25-2020)

Thanks

Haha, I always feel a slight tinge of mean-ness when I spray my BP accidentally. When she's shedding I like to use a spray bottle to bump up the humidity and it will barely touch her and she'll move across her viv in a flash. I always think what the heck would she do in the wild during the rain

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Absololol For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-25-2020),Kerimac (05-25-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Absololol View Post
    Haha, I always feel a slight tinge of mean-ness when I spray my BP accidentally. When she's shedding I like to use a spray bottle to bump up the humidity and it will barely touch her and she'll move across her viv in a flash. I always think what the heck would she do in the wild during the rain

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    She'd be thirsty, for one thing, and she'd also get over it. That's the trouble, our pets are divorced from reality. They need to experience more things...
    though I can see where misting a BP, they might be a bit more sensitive since they have all these heat-sensing pits. Just a guess...
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-25-2020 at 12:19 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 462 Posts
    Please, please don't hear what I am about to say as having any judgmental or unkind tone - I know text is stark and I know you are doing your best. But I have to say that what I am reading here makes it clear that this is a tough situation - you're overwhelmed in terms of space and finances; you suddenly have an adult snake and you're inexperienced, uncertain, and a bit fearful about it; the snake is extremely stressed because its housing situation is less than ideal, the cats are likely keeping it in a state of fear (cats and snakes are a bad mix), you don't have enough time to keep it as clean as it should be so eventual health problems are likely between that and the ongoing stress, and you are about to add a new baby to this whole mix.

Just re-reading all of that tells me that for the sake of you, your family, and the snake, it might be a better idea to pass the snake on to a local reptile rescue group for re-homing. If you or your daughter really want a snake, that's great. Do it later, and start with a younger snake or a smaller species. Everyone here would support you along the journey - it's just that this time, under these circumstances, and with this snake, don't seem like the way to start.

Again, no judgment here because I know you are trying really hard - but I believe re-homing is the best option for all involved right now. There is NO shame in acknowledging that this just isn't the right time. I think many of us here have had to do the same at one point or another in our lives as keepers.
    Last edited by Caitlin; 05-25-2020 at 12:57 AM.
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python 'Ziggy'
    1.0 Bredl's Python 'Calcifer'
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 'Mara'
    1.1 Tarahumara Mountain Boas 'Paco' and 'Frida'
    2.0 Dumeril's Boas 'Gyre' and 'Titan'
    1.0 Stimson's Python 'Jake'
    1.1 Children's Pythons 'Miso' and 'Ozzy'
    1.0 Anthill Python 'Cricket'
    1.0 Plains Hognose 'Peanut'
    1.1 Rough-scaled Sand Boas 'Rassi' and 'Kala'
    1.0 Ball Python (BEL) 'Sugar'
    1.0 Gray-banded Kingsnake 'Nacho'
    1.0 Green Tree Python (Aru) 'Jade'

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Caitlin For This Useful Post:

Alien (05-25-2020),Bogertophis (05-25-2020),christineho (05-25-2020),GoingPostal (05-25-2020),Kerimac (05-25-2020),Miranda324 (05-25-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 465 Posts
    I disagree about the size issue. Even an adult BP isn't that big. I think you just need to get in there and get your hands dirty, once you realize that the worst situation (a bite) isn't that bad at all, it'll be all down hill from there! Good luck!
    Start your own dubia roach colony with Roach Rancher!

Instagram - @AliceAnaconda

0.1.0 Cat "Anna"
    -----
    1.1.0 Emerald Tree Boa "Amanda & Samantha"
    0.1.0 Merauke Scrub Python "Victoria"
    0.1.0 Titanium Reticulated Python "Alice"
    1.0.0 Eastern Indigo
    -----
    0.0.4 Alligator Snapping Turtle "Deborah"
    0.0.2 Florida Snapping Turtles
    0.0.1 Cuvier's Dwarf Caiman "Caroline"
    0.0.1 100% Het Black Dragon Asian Water Monitor
    -----
    0.0.1 Antilles Pink Toe Tarantula "Katherine"

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wnateg For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (05-25-2020),Kerimac (05-25-2020),KMG (05-25-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

I agree with wnateg. It's a 4 or 5 ft BP. They really can't do much damage even if they do tag you. The fear of getting bit is usually worse than the reality unless you're dealing with really large or venomous snakes. Confidence is the key here. I agree with using a hook or paper towel roll to let the snake know that no food is coming but beyond that I can only suggest putting on some gloves, a long sleeve shirt, taking a deep breath, and just going for it. I like to swoop my snakes up before they even get a chance to react. Most defensive snakes will calm down pretty quickly once they're out of their enclosures. Once you get him out put him in a separate tub while you clean his enclosure and then promptly return him once you're done. Best wishes with the new baby and the new critter. I hope things get better for you all.
    Last edited by EL-Ziggy; 05-25-2020 at 04:17 AM.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-25-2020),Miranda324 (05-25-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    You need to get over the fear. When dealing with snakes it's more "when" than "if" in regards to getting tagged. It's not bad and over before you realize it happened most of the time.

I do wonder if you are reading the snake correctly. I was given a Dum several months back from a guy I know that said it would come at him every time he opens the cage. He gave it to me free because of this "aggressiveness." I took it in expecting a terror but found it's just a regular boa. Curious and active.... But not aggressive. A strong feed response.... But not aggressive.

However, he has tagged me. I reached in his enclosure with my right hand to fill his water bowl and he launched out and got my left hand. (Pics in my gallery) He's much bigger than a Ball and was the worst bite I've had to date.... But it still wasn't bad at all. I have some bites from Bloods in there too. Usually you can't even tell you were bit after rinsing it off. The Dum did bruise me but like I said he's much bigger than a Ball. My Ball tagged me once and I don't even remember bleeding. I certainly didn't have a bruise. I've been tagged by a Ball, BRB, GTP, Bloods, Dum, and Hognose. The Hognose got it's fangs in me a little and my finger bled, swelled, and had a little numbness.

Once you learn a bite is not to be feared you will be fine. But a bite can happen at any time. My BRB is always super friendly and very curious. One day I had him out and he was doing his thing when he suddenly bit my stomach. I don't know why and once he did it he went back to climbing around me like he does. It was really strange and that's the only time he's bit me. This is one example of why I control the heads of my snakes when non snake people are wanting to see them.

Also you should have a container to hold the snake for cleaning or any needed transport... Think vet trip or picking up a new purchase. I have several sizes to accommodate all my collection. I'll move them to a tub to deep clean their enclosure and then move them back after. They are super cheap so you have no excuse.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-25-2020),GoingPostal (05-25-2020),Miranda324 (05-25-2020)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast