Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,024

2 members and 3,022 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Thanks

Re: Trying to clean enclosure!

Any updates?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Keri Mac
    1.0 Normal BP
    1.0 Deep Purple Passion BP

Thanks

Just wanna know what happened the next day.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Keri Mac
    1.0 Normal BP
    1.0 Deep Purple Passion BP

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kerimac For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-28-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Miranda324 View Post
    Well I've been traumatized since he lunged at me once, mouth open, when he was hungry soon after we first got him. I almost got his head stuck in the enclosure door trying to close it shut when he did that. I had a rat ready to put in there, and I didn't even get in in there yet to feed him when he did that. His prey item was too small the feeding before that, so that's why he was so hungry that time... But I learned, and started feeding him rats, so he never did it again. I'm not spot cleaning. He peed all over the place in there and there blood from his last rat he ate. I use paper towels instead of a different substrate. He has scars on his head from where a past owner fed him a love rat and was injured(so he does not like his head touched I've found from the times we have safely handled him), but the last owner got him from a rescue so he had that before they even got him. The daughter of the woman who sold him to us, turned 18 and moved out and didn't want him anymore, and she said they handled him frequently and that he would be safe for us to handle. I still gotta get a snake hook I guess. I'm just having to ask my fiance for money for everything right now. I just recently quit my job and we are due to have a baby in the next few weeks(maybe less!). My daughter wanted a snake and someone I knew, knew someone wanting to re-home him at the time, so I jumped on it to be honest! I didn't realize the reality of how big he was either until she brought him over, but I didn't know everything would become so nerve wracking, and stressful with him. I did research stuff about his care and everything before we got him, but didn't realize I would still be in this boat after getting him. I'm not going to lie... I'm exhausted and just left that side of the enclosure bare that I didn't finish (for now), until tomorrow so I can maybe go back at it more prepared and less stressed out, because I just got so tired and upset about it. He will be ok for a night with it like that. It needs more than a spot clean though, so that's my point is there is pee and poop all over. I'm also looking into utility shelves so I can get him away from view of my cats and vice -versa, but they are too expensive right now until we get caught up on some other things financially... I just feel like a failure with this snake!😭😭😭

I can see that you really want to keep him and care for him properly. I have found the videos posted by snake discovery very helpful. https://www.youtube.com/c/SnakeDisco...efensive+snake. I have a 28 year old ball python, we have had her since she was a baby. She has only bit my brother once, years ago when he was feeding her.

My advice:
    1) remove your snake completely when cleaning, I put mine in a plastic tote.
    2) be confident in yourself, don't reach in hesitantly, just go for it! if you touch him from behind and pick him up she will warm up to you the more you a handle him.
    3) He might associate your hand for food if you only reach in his cage for feedings. Try feeding tongs.
    4) Ball pythons are extremely docile and they only bite when really scared or smell food, so learn his behavior. their FIRST sign is that they will ball up hiding their head.
    5) look up snake bites and know how to remove your snake without harming him (snake discovery on you tube)
    6) if you have a lot of other things to focus on right now, then don't put too much pressure on yourself. It will only harm you and mr. snake. Find him a good home and make sure to vet your potential buyers, they should have some experience.

P.S your snake seems to be eating really well, great job converting him from live mice to frozen rats

Thanks
    Well if ur anywhere near Houston Texas I’d be willing to teach u what to do and help out with the husbandry as I have multiples of everything needed. But that’s a gamble that u live close. Lol
    I’m just a bill sitting on top of capital hill.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Danger noodles For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-07-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Danger noodles View Post
    Well if ur anywhere near Houston Texas I’d be willing to teach u what to do and help out with the husbandry as I have multiples of everything needed. But that’s a gamble that u live close. Lol
    Actually that's a good point. If people having issues put their location in the post or profile and they're close, I'll send a PM offering help.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-07-2020)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234