Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,031

2 members and 3,029 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

Heating for my python

So I have a infrared thermometer I use and a probe style but think my gun isn't reading temps correct any ideas on a good infrared thermometer to get. I just bought mine from Wal-Mart was like 15 bucks but the temps it says seem way off

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: Heating for my python

Hmm,

What are you using to heat the enclosure, how is it regulated and where are you taking the temperatures?
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

I'm using a heat emitter right now cause the basking bulb I have makes it to hot. I have a probe thermometer that sits right above the substrate. Then I use the gun to check on the substrate or on top of his hide to see what it's sitting at

Thanks

Also curious what a good watt for basking bulb the one I have is 75 watt day basking bulb but seems to get to go I've had it on the mesh and have tried hanging it a good 6 inches above the mesh on his hot side. I've heard a basking light is better to use the uth. But just not sure

Thanks

There’s a couple good ones for about the same on amazon, with reviews which is super helpful.

I’d also take a look at your manual. Each gun is a little different and they should also include a ratio/ measurement on how far away you should be pointing the gun. Having it too far or too close will both give you inaccurate results.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Faith.luu For This Useful Post:

Billy1222 (05-24-2020)

Thanks

Sweet thanks might have thrown it away lol but was looking to get one that's nicer. Want to be exactly sure when it comes to my snakes I do have lizards but there's are a lot easier and on point so just need a good one for the 2 snakes I have

Thanks
    Not sure about the bulb size you need but I would recommend you take your temp gun to your thermostat for your heating/AC system in your house. Those are typically accurate. Shoot your temp gun at the wall right next to your house thermostat and see if it is close. I would bet your temp gun is correct and the readout on the heat source in your enclosure is off, just a guess though.