Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,035

2 members and 3,033 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

A good substrate to use

So got a python he's my first one done lots of research but wanted to know of good substrates to use in currently using a rainforest one any suggestions would be nice

Thanks

Re: A good substrate to use

It depends on the type of enclosure you have and if you can properly reach your humidity levels.

Personally, I love aspen, I used it for my bp while I kept her in a tub. But when I switched over to a glass enclosure, I couldn’t keep the humidity up so I switched to cypress mulch and coco husk.

The most common ones are paper towel/newspaper, cypress mulch, coco husk, coco fibre, and aspen. All of them have pros and cons. If your current substrate works, and your humidity is up to par then I’d just keep it up.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Faith.luu For This Useful Post:

christineho (05-25-2020)

Thanks
    I know it says to keep humidity at about 60 what's to low cause I don't want to spray to much and cause scale rot for my guy. I keep him in a 20 gallon glass terrarium its the long

Thanks
    I've only had him for 2 day's as well so he's still new to and he's on cypress mulch now. I do own 5 lizards though and a hognose but there a lot different then the ball python for heat and humidity
    Last edited by Billy1222; 05-23-2020 at 10:47 PM.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Coco fiber bricks. Half a brick should be enough for a 20 gallon long. Cover half the tank with Plexi glass, towels, etc. Humidity will be high at first but tapers off in the next few days or so depending on how dry your area is. Stir the substrate every couple of days.

Thanks
    What about molding with it I tried using it for my crested gecko and it got mold super quick. I live in utah so were going through summer right now. But was worried using it for my python since it molded real quick in my crested geckos cage

Registered User Reptile$ 4 Life's Avatar
    Thanks

I use coco fiber. It holds humidity well and it doesn't mold.
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (Flicker)
    1.2 Southern Alligator Liazrds (Wraith, Magma & Annie)
    0.1 Western Skink (Stella)
    1.1 Leopard Geckos (Leo & Jade)

Thanks
    Ya maybe ill give it a shot after I get him to eat for me I just got him on Thursday so don't want to stress him with the change. Been having issues with my hognose eating had to move him to a shoe box cause his tank was to big my wife wanted to have him in a 20 gallon tank but he's not even a year old so he's been super stressed

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Billy1222 View Post
    What about molding with it I tried using it for my crested gecko and it got mold super quick. I live in utah so were going through summer right now. But was worried using it for my python since it molded real quick in my crested geckos cage
    Everything has a potential to mold, so I wouldn't say coco fiber can't get it. It is mold resistant, so it makes it more difficult for mold to grow compared to aspen. The key things to do are consistent air flow and allowing the substrate to dry. That means don't block the entire mesh lid out of desperation to keep humidity in. When you prepare coco fiber, like moss, it should feel damp in your hands, not soaking wet. When you squeeze it, no water should be coming out or else it is way too wet. That is not a problem for loose coco fiber bags that were previously prepared, but you can accidentally add too much water to the bricks creating almost mud-like texture. I don't know how you prepared your gecko's substrate, but if prepared correctly, with ample air flow, it should not be a problem.

Lastly, clean out the entire tank every month. Remove all substrate, wipe everything down, etc. A dirty tank is also a breeding ground for bacteria.

Thanks

Ok sounds good thanks for the tips. Have you ever had a problem with it getting in your pythons Pitts had someone at our local pet store tell me that with coco fiber that it gets in the Pitts and can cause issues just was wondering I know a lot of people who work at pet stores can give a lot of wrong information as well so. Usually ill do my own research before believing what they say

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast