Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,342

3 members and 3,339 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

Got me some rats!!!

I just picked up a pair of rats. I figure I would give rat breeding a try. But I do have a few quick questions for you rat keepers.

What is the best way to handle rats?

Are there any big differences between the care of rats and mice?

Just looking for pointers
    -Daniel Hill
    Facebook: facebook.com/hillherp/
    Instagram: instagram.com/hillherp/
    Twitter: twitter.com/hillherp

Thanks

Re: Got me some rats!!!

Literally handling - by the tail!

Not too much difference though obviously the rats will go through the food quicker. Keep em fed and watered to stave off the cannibalistic dementia. THere's not a whole lot you have to plan against yet with just a pair of them - when you get to ratropolis stage - well burn that bridge when ye come to it, laddy!

They don't require a lot of attention but do need daily checking at least on the food/water. They don't smell to horribly bad and when the cage does start to put off a funk its past due to clean it. They will chew on any and everything they can - and are fond of climbing up onto the tops of the water bottles and are good at banging their way out of their cages - stronger than they look. THey can sometimes make some deadly sounding squeals when mating . . .

Over time we've managed to produce some pretty cute looking lil buggers - I won't feed off the solid black or blonde ones though - they look too hip.

"I don't FEEL tardy . . ."

Thanks

I think it depends on the rat how you handle them. I don't handle mine like pets, they really only get any attention if I am refilling food/water or cleaning the tubs out. Despite the lack of socializing my colony doesn't seem to be "bitey" or anything. I feed mine a staple of kaytee blocks that I buy in bulk for way cheaper than any store. I also give them greens once a day and some seed based feed a couple times a week. You can do your own mixes with feed based on research or others suggestions but I find the blocks are just easier to purchase, store, and feed and have most of the nutrients they need.

I have rotation going on, my original female is nuturing about 19...make that 17 after this weekends snake feeding crawlers right now. I expect most of them should have their eyes open by the end of the week. Its funny the pups almost fill my two hands LOL nice group this round. i have another female in with the "stud" and another female nearing breeding age. So far I have been holding back one female each litter to build the colony of females and I use one large rat as the stud.

I'm down to only one pair of mice! finally much less stinky by the time cleaning day rolls around.
    www.ASFRats.info African soft-furred rats information and exchange.

www.WarrenReptiles.com
    Website Hosting available see site for details

Thanks

I decided to give rats a try because it is kinda depressing when you have 60+ baby mice and still have to buy feeders because those are not big enough(and won't be for the next 4 weeks)....Plus....with around 70 total mice....I am starting to notice the smell...so anything to cut that down
    -Daniel Hill
    Facebook: facebook.com/hillherp/
    Instagram: instagram.com/hillherp/
    Twitter: twitter.com/hillherp

Thanks
    Thanked 2,326 Times in 1,368 Posts
    Blog Entries

eew 70 mice! i can't even imagine the smell that those must produce! rats are SOOO much less stinky. if you can smell them at all you know you should have cleaned about 3 days ago.

i have two females that i haven't handled much at all (originally they were food, but now they are to make food ) but they are still nice animals--they don't bite or anything, just squirm when i handle them for cleaning, etc. i am trying to handle the 2 males i got for them a little just so they will be calmer, but they are all still hyper little things. very curious though and personable despite being scared of me.

smulkin is right about the deathly squealing--i just jumped up and dashed in to check on my breeders because i really thought someone was being eaten based on the sounds that were coming from the cage. i guess they were just getting to know eachother a little better though...

i got a wire cage for my breeders, and attached the water bottle to the outside of the cage which has helped greatly with the bottle chewing. i feed the mix that becky posted in a previous thread--cereals, puffed rice, oatmeal, tri-colored pasta, trail mix, etc. they seem to really like it but the little buggers will pick through and eat what they like best first.
    - Emily

Thanks

haha...ya you have to get used to the squeals for sure. And your definately right about them picking through their food. I found that when offering more of a "mix" food that alot if it will go to waste if they don't like part of it as they know more will be coming. The block type food I feed has greatly helped this...it all looks the same and smells the same. I only offer mixed stuff as I said a couple times a week and it gets cleaned right up now since they aren't used to being able to pick through it. Water bottles outside are a must once they get big enough...I lost a few bottles learning that! I just lay mine down on top of the mesh lid with the spicket pointing down through. Like you have your mice setup I believe Daniel, and how I have my last mice still setup. Its higher up but they can still reach it standing up.
    www.ASFRats.info African soft-furred rats information and exchange.

www.WarrenReptiles.com
    Website Hosting available see site for details

Thanks

Can't remember where but I saw a great idea online for bottle chewing. Instead of those metal bottle protectors you just cut off the bottom of a can of coke and then pop in the water bottle and feed the spigot thingy through the can opening. Stops them from getting even a little sharp nip through the mess at their bottle. I'd probably add a bit of duct tape to that raw can edge though so I don't slice my own silly hand on it LOL.

Rats are great Daniel. Very little smell (I think Becky adds vanilla to their drinking water...maybe check that with her) and basically sociable, smart critters. Much nicer than mice!

I use lab block plus a bit of my own stuff mixed in (extra cereal that never gets eaten, trail mix, a bit of low protein/good quality dog food *free samples at my local pet store*, that sort of thing) plus once in awhile they get the ends of bread, again no one ever eats that, dipped in a oil just to keep their coats really nice. They also get leftover pasta, bones from roasts or steak or chicken and that sort of stuff plus whatever veggies and fruit I have laying about (avoid citrus fruits). They are kind of handy to finish up that last bit of lettuce in your fridge LOL.

But then I spoil them a bit as they are both pets and breeders, that is if they ever get errrrrr going on that LOL.

~~Jo~~
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by frankykeno
    Can't remember where but I saw a great idea online for bottle chewing. Instead of those metal bottle protectors you just cut off the bottom of a can of coke and then pop in the water bottle and feed the spigot thingy through the can opening.

Ought to still be in my gallery

(edit here ya go)

"I don't FEEL tardy . . ."

Thanks

Be careful the first time you take those babies from their mother...Ouch!!! Very protective little buggers.

~Jim

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

Where do you get the block food? Looked online but nothing comes up when I type block rat food. LOL.
    Wolfy

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast