Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,375

1 members and 3,374 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Possibility of slugs due to thermostat mishap

Hello y’all, so this is my first year giving breeding a shot, and have paired one of my firefly males to a fire enchi female a few times these past couple weeks, witnessed one confirmed lock. And today i woke up in the middle of the night to check on everybody(which I normally do) and noticed that me or my brother must have somehow bumped the thermostat dial while cleaning earlier in the day (currently running one of the herpstat ez1s on the 4 level adult rack in question) and the thermometer was reading around 88- 89 degrees ambient temp inside the tubs, which is around 8 degrees higher than I have been keeping them at. The female in question wasn’t over her hot side, the past couple days she’s been cool seeking. So Baisically I’m wondering if this swing in temp caused by my mistake is going to impact the probability of her re absorbing anything she may be in the process of producing/ her laying slugs when it comes time for her to lay. From what I understand stress and temp are big factors in producing either of those outcomes. Thanks.

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Re: Possibility of slugs due to thermostat mishap

Quote Originally Posted by Madisle View Post
    have paired one of my firefly males to a fire enchi female a few times these past couple weeks, witnessed one confirmed lock.
    One confirmed lock guarantees nothing. 89F is the top edge, but, not unbearable if the ball pythons can soak. Anything above 90F and you are in trouble. I get heat waves in my area periodically and I can hold the temps at 88F for a few days without egg production issues.

Eggs can reabsorb or slug out for any number of reasons...
    *.* TNTC

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Sorril For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-23-2020)

Thanks

Re: Possibility of slugs due to thermostat mishap

Word thank you. I’m almost positive they’ve locked more than once but it’s pretty difficult to see their tails when they’re a pile of intertwined snake at times. It was only for a few hours so I suppose I may have been posting out of slight paranoia haha.