Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,770

1 members and 1,769 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Leopard Gecko Setup

Hello all! So, sometime next week I’m going to be getting a leopard gecko to add to my small reptile collection. I got the tank setup today & yes, I still need to get an acurite so to measure ambient temp & humidity. Other than that, I’m pretty sure that I have everything I need, but would love feedback from you guys! Comments, concerns, & suggestions are all welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Re: Leopard Gecko Setup

Is that sand in the bottom?

If it is, I would go with something else. Sand can cause very bad impaction in their intestines if the ingest it, which they will.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw91 View Post
    Is that sand in the bottom?

If it is, I would go with something else. Sand can cause very bad impaction in their intestines if the ingest it, which they will.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    I will definitely keep that in mind & look into other options

Thanks

I use coconut fiber as substrate for my gecko. He doesn't need it for the humidity it just looks nice and he can dig in it if he so chooses. Btw love the Rob zombie username.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Toad37 For This Useful Post:

LivingDeadGirl (05-22-2020)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    If you are adding an adult gecko, a 20 gallon long at minimum would be a better choice. That tank looks like a 5 gallon?

No loose substrate, so sand should be replaced. Stones, tiles, reptile carpet, even paper towels are good options. If it can be picked up with a wet finger, replace it with something else.

A 2nd hide to the other end of the tank plus humid hide. If you are bringing a baby gecko home, try to find small hides to keep them comfortable. Even pieces of cork bark will work as long as they can hide under it.

Some keepers only uses a humid hide when necessary or not at all. I highly recommend having one because it creates enrichment for your gecko as well as help with shedding. A gecko in shed is not like a snake; a lot of times you won't know until it starts to shed and eating its skin. The risk of losing toes due to bad shed is preventable just by adding a humid hide and keeping it damp weekly. A humid hide can be made diy, buy one of the small caves available online or in pet store, or use a regular hide. No matter what it is, stuff it with damp moss or paper towels. Keep the humid hide near the heat source to create a sauna for your gecko. If you run out of room in the tank, put it on top of your current hide or use only 1 regular hide instead of 2.

Use a thermostat with your heat pad. Temps at 88-90F hot spot, cool end about 77F.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesenugget View Post
    If you are adding an adult gecko, a 20 gallon long at minimum would be a better choice. That tank looks like a 5 gallon?

No loose substrate, so sand should be replaced. Stones, tiles, reptile carpet, even paper towels are good options. If it can be picked up with a wet finger, replace it with something else.

A 2nd hide to the other end of the tank plus humid hide. If you are bringing a baby gecko home, try to find small hides to keep them comfortable. Even pieces of cork bark will work as long as they can hide under it.

Some keepers only uses a humid hide when necessary or not at all. I highly recommend having one because it creates enrichment for your gecko as well as help with shedding. A gecko in shed is not like a snake; a lot of times you won't know until it starts to shed and eating its skin. The risk of losing toes due to bad shed is preventable just by adding a humid hide and keeping it damp weekly. A humid hide can be made diy, buy one of the small caves available online or in pet store, or use a regular hide. No matter what it is, stuff it with damp moss or paper towels. Keep the humid hide near the heat source to create a sauna for your gecko. If you run out of room in the tank, put it on top of your current hide or use only 1 regular hide instead of 2.

Use a thermostat with your heat pad. Temps at 88-90F hot spot, cool end about 77F.
    It’s a 10 gallon & im looking at getting what I believe is a sub-adult. I do have a thermostat to go with my uth once I finally plug it all in to start working on temps.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to LivingDeadGirl For This Useful Post:

dr del (05-23-2020)