Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,777

2 members and 2,775 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
    Thanks

Baby won't eat outside of enclosure!!

I have recently gotten a baby savannah monitor super healthy and eats almost anything you put in front of him I have had so many people tell me to never feed him in his enclosure but I have tried and it seems that is the only place he wants to eat he loves earthworms and crickets and I have tried offering others in the feeding space but nothing worked I have even left the room so maybe he wouldn't feel as uncomfortable but nope never ate I have been feeding in his enclosure since that is the only place he will eat and I don't wanna starve him I would love some taming tips as well as a feeding chart for baby's if anyone has one I have seen so many different versions of what he can and should eat at what times for now I am sticking to a couple earthworms or crickets a day and if he seems really hungry I may add one or two more some people have told me I am feeding him to much others that its to less and some that say it's perfect thanks in advance

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I don't keep monitors, but this is what I do know based on what experienced savvie keepers say:

Their diet should consist of mainly insects, vertebrates, etc. A variety of different kinds in large numbers that allow lots of hunting behavior to keep them fit and in shape. Growing your own colony is highly recommended to save on costs. Obesity and bad diets shorten their lifespan drastically. Insects provide good, non-fat protein. Lots of it is good for them. That also means you must feed a lot of it. Avoid feeding mice prey or use it as an occasional treat.

I never heard of not feeding it inside the enclosure. In fact, it is the opposite, so they can dig and hunt their food. Someone else will confirm this. I guess the outside feeding is to help teach it not to associate you with food every time you visit its enclosure?

Savvies that are available in the pet industry are wild caught. Captive bred babies are rare, if any. Taming them will take a lot of time, work, and the result may still not be as much of an improvement as one would expect, ie it learns to tolerate your presence vs being petted or held. Some have a great disposition and may even relax enough to allow handling, but those are exemptions rather the rule, and that is after months of taming work.

I recommend watching vids from NERD and other breeders who keeps Savvies. Clint's Reptile made a YouTube video that was very informative.
    Last edited by Cheesenugget; 05-22-2020 at 01:08 PM.

Thanks

Re: Baby won't eat outside of enclosure!!

You were spot on so many people said that feeding them inside would lead to aggression I was really confused because he always loved to chase and run into his little hole with them it's so cute I have been feeding mostly insects as most of what I have heard was that they need a mostly insect diet in fact I have never fed him anything but insects yet as I think I will wait till he is a bit older to do that I know they aren't the "Puppy dog" Lizards everyone makes them out to be but I am willing to spend as much time as I need to get him at a point where he at least tolerates me If I wanted a puppy dog I should just get a puppy dog not a lizard If he ends up tame enough to sit and cuddle with that that would be amazing to but I don't expect that it will happen without months or maybe even a year or two of working with him thank you so much for your advise

Registered User Reptile$ 4 Life's Avatar
    Thanks

Feeding in the cage will not lead to aggression! Monitor lizards are highly food motivated so if the only time you open the cage is to feed them, then yes the lizard will be expecting food and will act accordingly. Frequent handling and target training will help keep your monitor calmer and more friendly. You can target train with either an object or a sounds. Brian Barczyk has a lot of videos of target training with monitors if you want to see how he does it.
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (Flicker)
    1.2 Southern Alligator Liazrds (Wraith, Magma & Annie)
    0.1 Western Skink (Stella)
    1.1 Leopard Geckos (Leo & Jade)

Thanks

Thank you so much for the advise I will definitely check those out!

Thanks
    Hey there! Congrats on the new baby.

The key here is patience. Let the monitor get comfortable with you and used to your scent. Dont' force handle it or disturb it while it is hiding, let it feel secure. Eventually the fear will wear off and curiosity will take over, when that happens it will be a lot more adventerous! Just keep working at it and be repetitive, they will learn.

Thanks

Thank you so much! I have a question though? Some people have been suggesting that I scoop him up from under his belly gently and place him in a warm bath and leave him alone for a little bit and then later come and offer my hand to him and see if he will come up. Also so many people say taming with food is a good way to get them to like you so I have been following someone who says that I should lure him into my hand with some food on the tongs of course and let him grab it and remove my hand I have been doing that but recently he has been rubbing his face on my hand and after a while he will try to nibble my finger he is very shy and runs away anytime I come near unless I have food which I know is normal for now but was wondering if there is anything else I could do to help him get comfortable with the sight of me I have been avoiding eye contact as he stays calm and doesn't care as long as I don't look at him around what time would be a good time to try and pet or touch him? I know he must get used to me first but I would not like to make him fear me again haha I have patience and have been following N.E.R.D's collab that he just did with Clints reptiles but I am not sure when to take my hand away right after he licks or wait so I dont scare I am not at all new to reptiles but this is my first monitor and I want to make sure I do everything right sorry for the super long reply
    Last edited by Ciaran_songs; 06-11-2020 at 05:02 PM.

Thanks

Kevin McCurley has some amazing videos on socializing monitor lizards on the NERD YouTube channel.

Thanks

Yeah I have been following him as well! Just had some extra questions haha.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran_songs View Post
    Thank you so much! I have a question though? Some people have been suggesting that I scoop him up from under his belly gently and place him in a warm bath and leave him alone for a little bit and then later come and offer my hand to him and see if he will come up. Also so many people say taming with food is a good way to get them to like you so I have been following someone who says that I should lure him into my hand with some food on the tongs of course and let him grab it and remove my hand I have been doing that but recently he has been rubbing his face on my hand and after a while he will try to nibble my finger he is very shy and runs away anytime I come near unless I have food which I know is normal for now but was wondering if there is anything else I could do to help him get comfortable with the sight of me I have been avoiding eye contact as he stays calm and doesn't care as long as I don't look at him around what time would be a good time to try and pet or touch him? I know he must get used to me first but I would not like to make him fear me again haha I have patience and have been following N.E.R.D's collab that he just did with Clints reptiles but I am not sure when to take my hand away right after he licks or wait so I dont scare I am not at all new to reptiles but this is my first monitor and I want to make sure I do everything right sorry for the super long reply
    No, I wouldn't do the bath thing. I would extend a hand, let the lizard smell you and get used to your scent. Allow it to come to you and tong feed the animal. Eventually it will pay off.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk