Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,152

2 members and 3,150 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Reassurance needed with laying

My 25 year old female that has never been with a male laid 6 eggs + 1 slug last May
    From when she was swelled up to the prelay shed was 18 days
    And from prelay shed to laying was 48 days

She has had 10 200g (ish) rats in the months following that laying

This year... (still never been with a male)
    The time from swelled up to prelay shed was also 18 days
    And its been 30 days to today since her prelay shed.

I'm hoping for eggs in the next 2 - 3 weeks, but I'm starting to worry for no reason at all that they won't come out, or only some will.

How many days should I go (from prelay shed) before I have to contact a vet if no eggs are laid?

If some eggs come out, and others don't in the next day or two, should I give her a bath and start massaging them down her body, that's what I've read.

The eggs last year were all non-viable, so I'm expecting the same this year, but I know its possible for parthenogenesis.

Thanks for any advice.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It really depends on the female and condition, while the average between pre-lay and egg laying is 30 days I have had females going 50 days post ovulation shed.

What matters is to make sure the animal is not in distress so it can vary from one female to another.

Now if one or two eggs come out but some remain you want to have a vet looking at her within 48 to 72 hours, make sure it is a knowledgeable vet, recently someone had a less than knowledgeable vet (by his own admission) massage eggs out of a female which could have been fatal. When remaining eggs do not come out it might mean that the next one is too big and need to be aspired (this is done with a syringe) but it could also be that the uterus is twisted or that the eggs are stuck to the lining of the uterus which in this case would require surgery.
    Deborah Stewart