Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,314

1 members and 1,313 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Registered User Reptile$ 4 Life's Avatar
    Thanks

Advice on the best way to do things

So I have a couple questions on how to improve my bp's set up.

Right now my bp is in a tank with a screen lid, so I have been having to put a towel over the screen to keep the humidity in the 55-65% humidity range. While this has worked very effectively I hate how it looks. I read that you can use plastic wrap to help keep humidity in and it isn't as noticeable as a large towel. So my first question is what would be the best way to secure the plastic wrap or what is a good way to keep humidity in? Obviously nothing sticky goes in the tank and I will leave open spaces for air flow.

My next question is more just checking to see if I have my facts right. My thermostat just came in and I want to make sure I placed it correctly. I have an UTH which is supposed to go under the tank and then the thermostat probe is supposed to go between the tank and the UTH, right? Also what's the best way to attach the UTH to the bottom of the tank? I've heard a lot of people say foil tape.

My final question is what are some good sturdy plants to put in with a bp? I've heard some people say pothos so I think I might try my luck with them. I am going to let the plants get a little bigger and stronger in quarantine before I put them in with my bp because I know that the species likes to bulldoze over everything. Definitely going to order from a more pet friendly company, like Josh's Frogs, if I do decide to pull the trigger with the plants.
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (Flicker)
    1.2 Southern Alligator Liazrds (Wraith, Magma & Annie)
    0.1 Western Skink (Stella)
    1.1 Leopard Geckos (Leo & Jade)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 465 Posts

Re: Advice on the best way to do things

Quote Originally Posted by Reptile$ 4 Life View Post
    So I have a couple questions on how to improve my bp's set up.

Right now my bp is in a tank with a screen lid, so I have been having to put a towel over the screen to keep the humidity in the 55-65% humidity range. While this has worked very effectively I hate how it looks. I read that you can use plastic wrap to help keep humidity in and it isn't as noticeable as a large towel. So my first question is what would be the best way to secure the plastic wrap or what is a good way to keep humidity in? Obviously nothing sticky goes in the tank and I will leave open spaces for air flow.
    You could cut a piece of plexiglass to size. It would work better and look nicer.

My next question is more just checking to see if I have my facts right. My thermostat just came in and I want to make sure I placed it correctly. I have an UTH which is supposed to go under the tank and then the thermostat probe is supposed to go between the tank and the UTH, right? Also what's the best way to attach the UTH to the bottom of the tank? I've heard a lot of people say foil tape.
    Yes, between the tank and UTH, and yes to foil tape.

My final question is what are some good sturdy plants to put in with a bp? I've heard some people say pothos so I think I might try my luck with them. I am going to let the plants get a little bigger and stronger in quarantine before I put them in with my bp because I know that the species likes to bulldoze over everything. Definitely going to order from a more pet friendly company, like Josh's Frogs, if I do decide to pull the trigger with the plants.
    Pothos are the hardiest plants ever. You could try something with some height.
    Start your own dubia roach colony with Roach Rancher!

Instagram - @AliceAnaconda

0.1.0 Cat "Anna"
    -----
    1.1.0 Emerald Tree Boa "Amanda & Samantha"
    0.1.0 Merauke Scrub Python "Victoria"
    0.1.0 Titanium Reticulated Python "Alice"
    1.0.0 Eastern Indigo
    -----
    0.0.4 Alligator Snapping Turtle "Deborah"
    0.0.2 Florida Snapping Turtles
    0.0.1 Cuvier's Dwarf Caiman "Caroline"
    0.0.1 100% Het Black Dragon Asian Water Monitor
    -----
    0.0.1 Antilles Pink Toe Tarantula "Katherine"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to wnateg For This Useful Post:

Reptile$ 4 Life (05-21-2020)

Thanks
    Ive never heard of plastic wrap but ive used tin foil and duct tape over the screen lid to hold humidity in and it worked pretty well, like you said make sure you include open spaces for air flow

As for the thermostat, just place the probe between the bottom of the tank and the UTH. The UTH should have a sticky adhesive on one side of it so no need to tape it down. Just make sure the UTH is stuck firmly to the glass and you should be fine. Also, make sure you have a temp gun to regulate the temps dont just trust what the thermostat says. I run all my set ups like that

I unfortunately have never put plants inside my enclosure so i cant offer much advise on that

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Snow Balls For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 19,822 Times in 11,841 Posts
    I know many ppl suggest damp towels on screen tops to add humidity, but towels also let air thru, so they do far less than anything that allows no air flow...things like plastic,
    foil, wood...all are better than a towel, except they hold no moisture on their own, you have to use the right substrates that retain humidity, &/or a humid hide, &/or a large
    water bowl (& a water bowl over or near the heat will promote more evaporation & humidity will rise).
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 775 Posts
    I used electrical tape on the probe and foil tape down the wire (not close to the probe so it doesn't interfere with probe reading).
    1.0 Freddy -Python Regius
    Darby -Boa Imperator
    Kenny -Morelia Bredli
    La Reina -Lampropeltis Californiae
    1.0 Luciano -Drymarchon Melanurus Unicolor
    0.1 Macarena -Heterodon Nasicus Nasicus
    1.0 Hugo -Morelia Spilota Mcdowelli

Morelia Mafia For Life

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RickyNY For This Useful Post:

Registered User Reptile$ 4 Life's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Advice on the best way to do things

Thank you all for your responses. I am going to try to do a more naturalistic look so hopefully I can get some pictures for everyone before he tries to destroy all my hard work.
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (Flicker)
    1.2 Southern Alligator Liazrds (Wraith, Magma & Annie)
    0.1 Western Skink (Stella)
    1.1 Leopard Geckos (Leo & Jade)