Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,865

1 members and 1,864 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Tub Setup for Baby Boa - Temp Questions

I've decided to go ahead and setup a small tub. My primary motivation is to have a temporary enclosure ready in case I see a baby boa that I want this summer, before my AP arrives and is setup properly. I'm also calculating that it wouldn't be wasted as it could be used both as a quarantine enclosure in the future and as a temporary enclosure while I do deep cleans on the larger AP.

The intent is not for this to go into a rack system and would not be kept in a 80 degree reptile room. Focusing primarily on temps, would the best approach be to use a UTH and a heat mat thermostat? Would this be sufficient for temps in a house with roughly ~75 temps (73 winter / 78 summer)? If not, then what else do you do for heat in a tub that isn't in a rack system?

I haven't completely narrowed down my list, but I'm strongly considering a BCA (or other "small" locality) and a true BCC male [or perhaps a pair of either as I have 2 APs on the way, but no intent to breed anything now]. Based upon what I've read in other posts, something like a 32 qt with latches and additional clips looks like the way to go with this. I think I have my list for substrate, hides, water dish, and temp/humidity gauge so I'm good there for now. Thanks again for the advice I've already gotten in other threads. If there's another post with this information already, then I'm more than happy to read though a link.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Re: Tub Setup for Baby Boa - Temp Questions

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...Quarantine+tub

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

RickyNY (05-20-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    Setting up one tub as you specified is fairly easy. A shallow 32-qt latchbox would be ideal as the lid can be locked down securely, and it gives a decent amount of floor space for a smaller snake.
    Since tubs don't retain heat well I would use a UTH that covers 1/2 of the floor space versus 1/3 of it. Covering the tub with a small blanket or a bath towel would help it retain some heat when your house ambient is in the low 70's.

Add matching warm/cool side hides and a water bowl in the center of it, and you should be good to go until the AP enclosures arrive.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Nick_MD (05-21-2020),RickyNY (05-20-2020)