Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,310

1 members and 1,309 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Getting a baby bp, few questions

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesenugget View Post
    Start with a 5 or 5.5 gallon glass tank if you can. Zilla has Critter Cages at 5.5 gallon, and Pet Supplies Plus carries them and they are usually on sale for like $10-15. Sliding lockable doors, light weight and easy to clean. 10 gallon can work, but for some baby bp that may be too big for them. Concern with glass tanks is keeping humidity up. You can look that up about how to maintain humidity in glass tanks.

Personally, 6 qt tubs for baby snakes are awesome. They are too scared and don't want to be seen (yet) anyway. At the start, it is more about what works for the snake and then later you can make comprises and make it what works both you and the snake.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post
    It seems like you're off to a good start. Having your enclosure and equipment up, running and dialed in is definitely a huge plus in your favor. You're saving yourself and your new pet from unnecessary stress and headaches. So good job there! .

I've used and still use both front opening top opening enclosures. I prefer front opening, but that's more personal preference. I've never noticed a difference in ease of getting the snake in and out either way.

A 10 gallon will work perfectly for a starter enclosure. Just make sure you've got at least two hides and a decent amount of clutter (fake plants, etc...) for security. It also helps to "black out" the sides and back of the enclosure with cardboard, construction paper, foam board insulation or something. Just make sure it's on the outside of the enclosure.

Lastly, when it comes time to actually choose your snake do yourself a favor and buy from a reputable breeder. Avoid pet stores and "flippers" who just buy and sell the animals.

Good luck. Don't be shy if you have further questions.
    Thank you guys for your help I've been so indecisive with choosing a breeder but I have a few in mind that I'm looking into. I've decided to just get the exo Terra once the snake is bigger so I'm going to go with either a 10 gallon or the 6 at tub for now until I know the snake is comfortable.

So far, I have the herpstat 2, an infrared thermometer, and two different thermometer/hygrometer combos. I'll be shopping for the heating pad, substrate, and hides next. I'll make sure I post a pic of the enclosure and temperatures before I bring it home. Thank you guys again.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Polamalu For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (05-19-2020),dr del (05-19-2020)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Re: Getting a baby bp, few questions

Quote Originally Posted by Polamalu View Post
    Thank you guys for your help I've been so indecisive with choosing a breeder but I have a few in mind that I'm looking into. I've decided to just get the exo Terra once the snake is bigger so I'm going to go with either a 10 gallon or the 6 at tub for now until I know the snake is comfortable.

So far, I have the herpstat 2, an infrared thermometer, and two different thermometer/hygrometer combos. I'll be shopping for the heating pad, substrate, and hides next. I'll make sure I post a pic of the enclosure and temperatures before I bring it home. Thank you guys again.
    Sounds good 👍

I know we're throwing a lot at you. But once properly set up everything gets much easier.

Just wanted to mention that the thermometer/hygrometers are hopefully digitals. The analog dial style ones are incredibly inaccurate. Just trying to save you a headache if you have the analogs.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like. I may be able to help you narrow down breeders. There are plenty of others more in the BP loop than I am, but I'm happy to help if I can.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12