Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,127

1 members and 2,126 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Maybe a week away from joining these ranks... Long term questions...

Hi guys,

I know that I have been woefully absent from these forums and I do miss being on here and reading the advice, but between some major changes in my work responsibilities, I am busier than ever.

I am at day 51 with my first clutch in the incubator. I am very, very much looking forward to these babies as a first for me. I've also got a second gravid female that I hope to see eggs from in the next few weeks. I can finally join the ranks of successful breeders.

When I made the decision to get back into this hobby and take a run at doing something I've wanted to since I was a teenager, I've always worked with some purpose in mind. There wasn't really a true target animal until last year when some snakes fell into my lap from a local breeder who has become a friend and mentor to me on trade for credit against feeder rats. These two really ignited a true long term goal in me, putting down a plan that would span at least 6 to 7 years if I hit all the odds and get correct genders, no issues, etc etc, so longer term.

This lead me to comparing all the animals that I currently have and putting them down on paper. Looking at where I could easily add genes and animals in the correct packages and move towards doing some thing that I don't see anyone else doing that I think would be amazing.

How far out do you all plot projects when you're serious about a large gene count snake. Some of the things I am wanting to push towards are double and triple recessives with multiple incomplete dominant genes. I have sat down and generated a flow chart that shows all my pairings, the snakes that I'd like to purchase still (very few, like 3, and only to add genes I do not yet own), and all the pairings that need to happen and what I hope to produce from them.

Everything I've acquired in the last year has been added specifically to facilitate projects that I've set myself towards. I've been lean on male purchases, I've acquired more females than anything else. I've got all my equipment funded and have more adult space on order well in advance of any need. Moving all the pieces forward little by little, but I'm curious for experience and pit falls that others have seen. I've got space for 20 adults now, with space for 20 more on order and am debating expanding that to 40 just to have the timer ticking and paid for with AP.

My position is unique as I am a single guy who works in IT making good money and funds my hobby as there is nothing else to do in this town, but have hit a point where any advice is very much appreciated. I can kind of do what I want, don't have to sell the snakes I produce but I will. Can keep cycling money back into making sure my setup is as good as can be. In fact, we're planning a full facilities overhaul before the winter to replace windows at a minimum.

Anything and everything I should hear I want to hear. Just lay it on me.

Best and thanks!

Paul

2. The Following User Says Thank You to pbenner For This Useful Post:

soapapilla (05-20-2020)

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Re: Maybe a week away from joining these ranks... Long term questions...

Quote Originally Posted by pbenner View Post
    How far out do you all plot projects when you're serious about a large gene count snake.
    I have projects that I have mapped 5 generations out--assuming 3 years/generation--15 years.

Money could easily shortcut my timetable from 15 years to 9 years. I'm sure people will spend the exorbitant cash and reach these goals before I do: However, I am not interested in paying for the title of 'World's First xyz morph'. I'm not a business and if I was...I think it wouldn't be as much fun.

I do recommend that you move forward with increasing your snake breeding/housing capacity as much as possible if you are working with multiple recessives. 100 snakes will seem like a small number in a few years.
    *.* TNTC