Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,273

0 members and 2,273 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Any confirmed Het Leopard Boa Markers.

I was wondering if there were any confirmed Het Leopard Boa markers? If there are any? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,813 Times in 492 Posts

Re: Any confirmed Het Leopard Boa Markers.

Het leopard definitely has visual markers, to the point that some people argue that the gene is actually an incomplete dominant. Here's some pics of my hypo het leopard Sonoran that may be of use for the next bit:

I've heard "bow tie saddles" being thrown around as an indicator, though I think "aberrant saddles" would be a better term. I've seen some known het leopard boas with otherwise regularly spaced, pinched-in "bow tie" saddles, while others have more funky-shaped floating saddles (ie. my Sonoran). The saddle markers can be easily masked by genes such as jungle, motley, or any other gene that tends to modify saddle pattern, though.

Another thing to look at is the headspear. Het leopard boas tend to have abberant headspears, sometimes to the point that they look like a full leopard's. Arrow-shaped headspears seem to crop up a lot. "Whiskers" and other beauty markings seem to as well.

An extra bit of blushing around the face may also be a het leopard indicator. The leopard gene tends to introduce an extra bit of red, and you can sometimes see this in the hets.

Good luck distinguishing your hets! I'm not a breeder myself (just a Sonoran enthusiast who's looking into it), so you'll definitely want a second opinion, specifically re: how leopard interacts with other genes. For what it's worth, I looked over your update thread from yesterday, and I think the albino in the second-to-last picture is a good contender for het leopard.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    0.1 Sonoran Boa sigma​: "Adelita" ('19 Hypo het. leopard)
    1.0 Boa imperator longicauda: "Kuzco" ('19 het. anery)
    0.1 West Papuan Morelia spilota​: "Pandora" ('20)

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WrongPython For This Useful Post:

Jboyzboas (05-18-2020),Reinz (05-19-2020),richardhind1972 (05-19-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WrongPython View Post
    Het leopard definitely has visual markers, to the point that some people argue that the gene is actually an incomplete dominant. Here's some pics of my hypo het leopard Sonoran that may be of use for the next bit:

I've heard "bow tie saddles" being thrown around as an indicator, though I think "aberrant saddles" would be a better term. I've seen some known het leopard boas with otherwise regularly spaced, pinched-in "bow tie" saddles, while others have more funky-shaped floating saddles (ie. my Sonoran). The saddle markers can be easily masked by genes such as jungle, motley, or any other gene that tends to modify saddle pattern, though.

Another thing to look at is the headspear. Het leopard boas tend to have abberant headspears, sometimes to the point that they look like a full leopard's. Arrow-shaped headspears seem to crop up a lot. "Whiskers" and other beauty markings seem to as well.

An extra bit of blushing around the face may also be a het leopard indicator. The leopard gene tends to introduce an extra bit of red, and you can sometimes see this in the hets.

Good luck distinguishing your hets! I'm not a breeder myself (just a Sonoran enthusiast who's looking into it), so you'll definitely want a second opinion, specifically re: how leopard interacts with other genes. For what it's worth, I looked over your update thread from yesterday, and I think the albino in the second-to-last picture is a good contender for het leopard.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Thanks that helps a lot, I really appreciate you taking the time to respond. I think I’m gonna hold back the whole litter to see if I can help to prove anything out. Thanks again!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jboyzboas For This Useful Post:

WrongPython (05-19-2020)

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

Here's my mandarin belly jungle het leopard as said above the odd saddles high speckling and head spear would be my indicators too
    Also have a visual mandarin belly leopard too
    What was the pairing?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

Jboyzboas (05-19-2020),Reinz (05-19-2020),WrongPython (05-19-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by richardhind1972 View Post
    Here's my mandarin belly jungle het leopard as said above the odd saddles high speckling and head spear would be my indicators too
    Also have a visual mandarin belly leopard too
    What was the pairing?

There beautiful for sure, it was an albino motley x 100% het leopard. It was a long shot and my female leopard didn’t take. I think my temps were too high, I’ve recently heard pure leopards need cooler temps to breed. I’m gonna try again this season. I do feel I’m in a kind of predicament though as far as the babies being motley 100% het Kahl 50% het leopard but some you can tell super easy and others just have a clean motley pattern but with dark/red eyes so I’m not sure if that’s a leopard trait or just random.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jboyzboas For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (05-19-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jboyzboas View Post
    There beautiful for sure, it was an albino motley x 100% het leopard. It was a long shot and my female leopard didn’t take. I think my temps were too high, I’ve recently heard pure leopards need cooler temps to breed. I’m gonna try again this season. I do feel I’m in a kind of predicament though as far as the babies being motley 100% het Kahl 50% het leopard but some you can tell super easy and others just have a clean motley pattern but with dark/red eyes so I’m not sure if that’s a leopard trait or just random.

Try posting some pics and some of us will have a look as best we can

11. The Following User Says Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

Jboyzboas (05-19-2020)

Thanks

these are pictures I took this morning. I will get some out door pictures as I think it will be better. Thanks again!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jboyzboas For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (05-19-2020),WrongPython (05-19-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,813 Times in 492 Posts

Lovely babies!

None of the non-motley babies jump out as het leopard to me. As for the motley babies, I'm at a loss. That said, the baby in the first picture looks very interesting -- it looks as though he may be a full-stripe-jungle motley with an aberrant headspear, which makes me think...

I neglected to mention earlier that Warren Booth (Boa Booth on Facebook) had a litter of Central American motley het leopard babies a while back. He's got a good number of photos of them on his Facebook page (you just have to scroll down his photos a bit), as well as a slew of photos of het leopards he's produced and raised over the years. You should definitely check his page out!
    0.1 Sonoran Boa sigma​: "Adelita" ('19 Hypo het. leopard)
    1.0 Boa imperator longicauda: "Kuzco" ('19 het. anery)
    0.1 West Papuan Morelia spilota​: "Pandora" ('20)

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WrongPython For This Useful Post:

Jboyzboas (05-19-2020),richardhind1972 (05-19-2020)

Thanks

I agree, the first motley could be and the normal Looking ones could well be, too you might have to hold them back a bit to watch them develop
    Great looking litter

17. The Following User Says Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

Jboyzboas (05-19-2020)

Thanks

If your on Instagram
    Constrictors.canada has loads of motley het leopard pics about at the mo, may give you some pointers

19. The Following User Says Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

Jboyzboas (05-19-2020)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast